Ok, its a given that the average A2Ker is pretty cheap...

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:33 pm
@hamburger,
I agree with you completely, hbg. Remember free road maps at each and every gas station? People of younger generations look at me funny when I mention this. What? Road maps? For free? Yeah, and gasoline cost about .25 cents/gal.

In fact, since last year now, my local dry cleaners/Chinese laundry has stopped distributing free calendars. They pass out free lint-removal brushes to their favored customers instead during the holiday season. Printing costs must have skyrocketed while the brushes are probably a penny each wholesale. (They retail for about .75 cents.)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:36 pm
@Merry Andrew,
You have missed the most "important" part of that .25c gallon gas; somebody filled your gas and washed your window.
hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:40 pm
@Merry Andrew,
i'm getting OLD - and crotchety !!!
when we moved into our house in december 1963 , an IMPERIAL gallon of fuel oil was 18 cents . last fill-up (end of heating season) was $1.09 a LITER !!!
hbg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You have missed the most "important" part of that .25c gallon gas; somebody filled your gas and washed your window.

...and woe betide if he forgot to ask, "Check your oil and water?"
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:59 pm
I used to make my own calendars...you know - a sort of display of the year's best photographs.

But the software from my old machine won't work on my new computer (bloody Vista) - so no calendars this year. Pity - had some great photos, too!
Aldistar

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
I never have to buy one, It's a tradition that my mom always gives me one for Christmas. I then wait for the day when the temporary calander stores in the mall are closing shop and give away all their left over calanders! It's great, they tear off the covers and hand over the rest of the calander. I get a few dozen every year.

In case your curious why I do this, it's because I get the various animal, nature, scenic, architecure type calanders and use the images as reference in my artwork. I have 2 huge file cabinets full of pics.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 12:43 am
@margo,
Quote:
But the software from my old machine won't work on my new computer

Before, or after, you travelled to Adelaide?

Now, there is a cure to this 'problem' of which you mention. However, it comes with a cost. We want the dirt!! Come on, it couldn't have all been scones and tea? Photos, we want photos - y'know - tearing the male stripper's g-string off with her teeth. 15 empty shot-glasses. The police subduing her with the 'Wabbit-6000 Wabbit Subduer'...
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 01:26 am
Well, I did weaken and go for the 50% off option. I am the possessor of a 'Futurama 2009' calendar. That will make the kids happy.

When I worked in libraries we used to get some bitching calendars from the suppliers. Really big, good art, proper glossy paper. Do miss that. One mob -- Swets, I think -- had this thing with a couple of cats as their 'mascots'. The posters and stuff where highly prized by staff. I guess with all this economic downturn there won't be too much promotional giveaways this year.
roger

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 01:37 am
@Mr Stillwater,
God! You are so cheap!
margo

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:14 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Ain't no Adelaide photos - which is surprising for someone who carries a camera with her most of the time - and certainly in Adelaide.

Well there is one photo - of the main street of Adelaide in peak hour - I stood in the middle of the street to take it - no cars! But nuthin' to titillate a Still Water!
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:20 am
@roger,
Quote:
Re: Mr Stillwater (Post 3499484)
God! You are so cheap!

Rat bastid!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:24 am
@margo,
Ok - I will weaken because it is the 'Season of Goodwill' (see above for exceptions).

This is the link - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx - to MS Office online. They have an excel workbook in there with all the calendars till 2015. I think it's one month per page..... put in a good word for me with Deb, her latest offering was rather blunt!
margo

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 01:56 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
dun good, Stilly, ta

Would you like a 2009 Possum-cat calendar?
hamburger

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:20 pm
@margo,
we liked the calendars with paintings by "old masters" that were for sale at the amsterdam airport .
i kept some of the nicest pictures and framed them .
haven't gone through amsterdam for some years now ... ...
the dutch also sold some beautiful "dishtowel" calendars at the tourist office - made a nice calendar for the first year and still be useful for years to come - not cheap but thrifty !

0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 01:53 am
@margo,
Quote:
Would you like a 2009 Possum-cat calendar?

A bottle of wine wouldn't hurt, either.....
0 Replies