Ok, its a given that the average A2Ker is pretty cheap...

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:48 am
@alex240101,
You fixed it!

hehehehehehehe

No more tickets for tomorrow night - but you might like tonight's Hafla. I can definitely still get you in there.

part of the August Hafla

Live music, bellydancers, wine and snacks. Pretty good way to spend an evening.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:11 am
I never pay for calendars. Freebies abound. We received a nice big one,with beautiful pictures, in yesterday's mail. Even planners. A woman gave me a planner on Thanksgiving Day (Her son is my daughter's fiance, and she has plenty, which she hands out as a business promoter). Cheap? Ha! Frugal, I say.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:14 am
@Mr Stillwater,
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/03/06/2004264631.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:16 am
Thanks for the reminder. I need to get one ASAP. There are too many 2009 sticky notes on my refrigerator already.

I only buy one calendar, and it's "family central." Everyone checks it daily. It has to have large squares for each days so everyone can write in their stuff. I've found a particular kind that has a magnetic strip on the top edge that makes it perfect for the refrigerator. A year or two ago I mistakenly picked up two and sent the extra to Boomer. Ah! Here it is!

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/7a/d/AAAAAmguSGEAAAAAAHrfsg.jpg

I've used this kind for years. SonofEva has outgrown the thrill of using the stickers to mark all the holidays, etc., but that was a lot of fun while it lasted.
jespah

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:12 am
@Eva,
RP handcrafts ours, on AutoCadd.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:20 am
you sound like spendthrifts to me !
don't you know you can re-use calendars ?
the 1998 calandar will also be fine for 2009 and again for 2015 ... ...
remember we want to be GREEN - just think of how many trees YOU can save by re-using calendars !
i find it's actually fun to use an outdated calendar - the older the better .

use the table from the link :

http://www.hevanet.com/kort/REUSE1.HTM
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
@hamburger,
Man, I thought I was a pack-rat who never throws out anything. Table and desk are groaning under the weight of scraps of paper I just don't dare throw out. But even I haven't saved a 1998 calendar (or a 2007, for that matter). There's gotta be a limit on what you save, what you toss.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:51 am
I love horses and for years and years now my daughter has given me a calendar or calendars with horses on them for Christmas. Last year when she was in Europe she picked up a couple of unique horse calendars in Denmark and those were really fun if a little wierd. (They seem to start the week on Monday there which makes you have to stop and think what day you're looking at on the calendar.) So.....I don't buy calendars for the most part.

Does that put me in the cheap bastard category? Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:58 am
@ehBeth,
Now that's just about ideal. The only thing better might be making my own Bittman calendar, from my saved recipes from his columns/blogs. But then they wouldn't be brand new to me. Thus I'd need two, the one you bought, and my own custom calendar. Let's see, one for the fridge, one for the cookbook shelves..

I like calendars quite a lot - enjoy being picky about the photography, graphics, etcetera - but have stopped buying them. I've saved a few old ones, not just for business or tax or diary purposes, but for the photos or drawings. Have a 1997 one of Italy engravings up in the guest bathroom, which just confirms to guests that I'm confused about time.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:14 am
We are in a deep recession, maybe headed for depression.....only chumps pay full price anymore.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:54 am
@Mr Stillwater,
I bought 2 calendars back in July for 2 for $1.00 and they're good until 2010. Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 12:01 pm
@Reyn,
I get about a half dozen free calendars every year, and I use two of them for my scheduler/reminder log. I'd be lost without them. They sort of end up as my annual diary of sorts.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:21 pm
had a look around the rec-room - there are about ten outdated calendars sitting on various shelves - some still in a plastic sleeve .
i don't dare throw them out !
you know : hard times might be coming , better an old calendar than no calendar , i'd say .
hbg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 12:57 am
I am shocked!! Cheap isn't the word I am struggling for... (and it ain't 'clarm' either jespah)...

even tacking on the word 'bastids' doesn't help....

What a bunch of ******* cheapskates! Hoarding unused calendars! My preciousssssss... preciousssss.... ooooh, tricksey hobbits wants my shrink-wrapped 1997 free calendar from Canadian Tyre... we loves preciousssss...

I have been around this spot for like 8 years now and I have never seen this.... this... side of you all. Shocked. Shocked and appalled.
jespah

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:34 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Shocked, appalled, and secretly vindicated.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:44 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Shocked and chagrined! As the lawyer on Seinfeld used to say.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 01:46 pm
you all watch my words : the days of "free" calendars are coming to an end ! Wink
btw the calendars i'm hoarding aren't freebies but more of the "artsy" type .
does that make for a good excuse ?
hbg

remember free drinks and snacks on flights ? GONE !
many airlines don't have magazines any more (when we'd fly back from europe in the 80's and 90's we'd often "forget" to put magazines back into the rack ) !
air canada and lufthansa actually had carts with free magazines at the check-in counters : GONE !

free calendars surely are next ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:11 pm
@hamburger,
By this time of year, I'd have at least a handful of "free" calendars, but so far I've received only one from Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT), 11"X14". I've already posted on it.
hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. wrote :

Quote:
By this time of year, I'd have at least a handful of "free" calendars, but so far I've received only one from Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT), 11"X14". I've already posted on it.

don't say i didn't warn you !

i feel like "carnac , the magnificient " - all seeing , all knowing !

http://routingbyrumor.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/carnac-the-magnificent.jpg

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:05 pm
@hamburger,
...and a klutz. LOL
0 Replies