The Brown Pound

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:33 am
An article in a leading Indian newspaper caught my eye today - coming on the heels on my experience over the weekend, thought might open it to debate here...

Quote:

Stingy Indians perplex Britain
RASHMEE Z. AHMED

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2003 02:16:10 PM ]

LONDON: Is the typical British Asian becoming richer every day because he is encouraged to be more Scrooge than Midas and is this only because no one is luring him to part with his money?

British Indians boast a combined, estimated spending power of roughly 10 billion pounds and opulent Asian 'rich lists' are the community's yearly staple. But astonishingly, the brown pound still isn't considered a viable "market" in multi-cultural Britain.

So, wake up and smell the korma, says a coruscating report by Britain's leading advertising trade body.

The report, published on Monday, is the first-ever by the UK's lead marketing trade association, the Institute of Practitioners of Advertising (IPA). Its influence may be gauged from the IPA's boast that its members "collectively handle over 80 per cent of Britain's media spend, worth eight billion pounds in 2002".

Commentators said the IPA's prescriptions were likely to be potent medicine for British advertising and retail, which have so far relied on the stereotyped wet-saris-and-sex image to embody multi-culturalism.

The re-think comes as two of Britain's biggest brand names rely on a Bollywood-inspired advertising theme.

In one, the UK's former footballing heart-throb and boy-next-door, Gary Linekar, dresses up as an Indian bridegroom, gets on his horse and rides furiously towards the chicken tikka masala-flavoured potato crisp.

In the second, Britain's leading mortgage-lending bank, the Halifax, gets its staff to belt out an ad jingle to the tune of a Hindi film song, with gyrations to match.

But the IPA said it was important not to stereotype the brown pound.

On Monday, the IPA's Jonathan Mildenhall said their two-year study into the way advertisers dealt with British Asia was a benchmark because it would help develop future marketing strategies that "look like" modern Britain.

Nearly eight per cent of Britain's 59-million population is ethnic minority and it has an astoundingly high, collective disposable income of £32 billion, the report said.

Let's face it, IPA officials told this paper, British Asians, the country's largest ethnic minority, are more "technically adept" than their white counterparts. About 74 per cent of British Asians have a mobile phone against a national average of 69 per cent; 57 per cent have home internet access compared with 47 per cent of the whole population.

Wags said the new report and wake-up call might just mean the UK sells more computers to geeky British Indians.

But Mildenhall, co-chairman of the IPA's Ethnic Diversity Project, said: "The economic contribution that ethnic minorities make ... is huge. We need to educate and advise our clients about the potential of all target groups".

I got my broadband package installed at my home computer on Saturday morning. Considering that I have a very old computer at home (alomost 5 yrs old), the bloody thing could not cope up with the data speed and kept crashing on me. So it finally spurred me to go out and buy a new computer. Now, once I have decided to buy something, I go ahead and do it - if I think too much abt it, I might change my mind Smile

I went to 5 different shops. Not one had a good laptop in stock. Sales people were just not interested in helping me out. Standard answer "we can get this for you in 5 days or so". In the end I got so desparate that I offered to by the display model

One guy told me - you can have the display model, but neither we will give you any discount, nor will we give you a full year warranty
One guy told me - we sell off display models, not display model themselves
One guy told me - I will check with the manager. After waiting for abt 15 mins, I went in search for me, only to find that he was selling a 100 quid TV to a white couple and admitted that he had forgotten abt me.

Mind you, all these were computer superstores I went to.

So is there no sales culture in the UK or is it the color of my skin ? Personally I think that the attitude of the sales people towards people of ethnic minority background is the biggest cause of the bworn pound being upspent.

I finally managed to locate the laptop at a large depatmental store, but the sales person asked me twice "are you sure ?" when I mentioned that I will make the payment in full and do not need an financing on this machine....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,644 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:40 am
Reading your stories of PC buying Gautam, I couldn't help but detect a whiff of racism on the part of the shop staff. Perhaps the guy in the department store thought either 1) You weren;t intelligent enough to understand that not taking finance meant paying for it all in one go and/or 2) You, as an Asian, would be unlikely to have enough money to pay for it outright. Either way mate it stinks.

I am more suprised at this behaiour in London though. If it were up here in the Darklands of the North then I would be less surprised. I went to school in a small town on the outskirts of the Teesside conurbation, and in my year-group of about 180, there were exactly 3 pupils from ethnic minorities - one Pakistani lad (who's dad ran a corner-shop), one Chinese girl (who's dad ran a Chinese takeaway) and a mixed-race lad with a Jamaican father and white mother. Not exactly representative of the population, and as sterotyped as you can get. Surprisingly though, I don't think any of them suffered any more abuse or bullying than your average white kid did.

Back (slightly) on the original topic, I have a friend at work who's a British Indian, from Leeds. He spends more money on good suits, nice shirts and expensive aftershave than any white lads I know. He says that his cousins & friends in Leeds are all the same. They are not afraid of saving for a nice car or spending money in fact on anything. Maybe there is more emphasis placed on such status symbols within the young Asian community? I'm not sure, but there is definately loads of 'brown pounds' sitting in Asian bank accounts that the mainly white owned/managed companies seem to be ignorant of, or ignore.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:36 am
Don't think that it was racism GD as the sales person was colored himself. It is just that the sales force in the country are so alien to the concept of selling !!

I am a marketing/sales guy myself (or used to be) and their attitude makes me feel like giving them a good bashing !!!

Looking good amongst young asian males has got nothing to do with impressing their peers (oratleast in most cases). It is simply about looking good !!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:56 am
How odd. In my small town, I received much better attention at Office Max, and even Sam's Club, than the small, local shops specializing in, and even fabricating computers. My best guess is that the nationwide store chains have at least rudimentary sales and customer service training. I also consider the possibility that the small speciality stores are involved in support, repair, and sales to businesses that represent a continuing stream of income, even though the sales to businesses may be smaller on an individual basis.

Even more strange, at least to me, is that the situation is almost completely reversed when shopping for audio components.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
Fair enough! I hear what you're saying about lack of sales-power in shop staff. I hate pushy staff, and all I expect from them is knowledge of the products. I dislike marketing & sales in most of it's forms! If they can't sell stuff properly to a majority white market then what chance do they have of selling it to a minority Asian one?!

As for the last point, he says it's a running joke amongst Leeds Asians about the lack of effort white lads put into attracting partners! I think part of 'simply looking good' is to impress your peers (including prospective partners).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:03 am
I am an invisible minority...Jewish, white and too little debt to make it worth anyone's while litigating if I don't pay Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 05:40 am
Grand Duke wrote:
I hate pushy staff, and all I expect from them is knowledge of the products.

Oh I hate pushy staff as well - nothing irritates me more. But when have decided to buy something, and the guy has no intention of helping me out or sell me what I want to buy - it is then when I start losing my cool.

Ideally I wud expect the sales person to go through some effort to avoid losing a customer. The attitude here is, you dont wanna buy it, ahh well, yr bloody loss now f*** off !!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 05:47 am
Maybe more of them should be on commission, to keep them on their toes a bit more!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 05:54 am
Precisly ! Most of them work at the minimum wage - and have absolutely no interest in doing their job properly !!!

Including the store managers !!!

Frankly speaking if I worked in a coputer store and a guy walks in looking to spend 1500 quid - I would treat him like a king !!!

You can see this difference in bigger stores like John Lewis, Selfridges where the sales people work on commission - they have just the right attitude - helpful without being pushy !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 06:50 am
A cop-u-tore store, eh, G? You like men in uniform it seems....Wink Bad sales staff makes me mental...being a small private caterer in a competitive city, I have to hustle for jobs in general every day. Believe me, I have learned the value of 'gilding the lily' in terms of customer service. In a sense, I work on commision, as I don't have a salary, so every customer is very important to me. I think it's a good idea to make more salespeople work that way, it really changes your perspective regarding where your next meal is coming from, so to speak.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 07:24 am
Cav - I used to work for an accountancy firm doing accounts & tax for small businesses - self-employed people mainly - and they always said that it was reqrding to work for yourself and see the full benefit of your efforts without 'the company' getting the profits, but they were never happy about the lack of holidays, lack of sick pay, staff troubles etc etc... Do you have staff?
0 Replies