a paradox of roles?

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:54 am
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - An ambulance worker was arrested for battery against a police officer during an emergency call on Thanksgiving.

It?s a situation when officers and ambulance employees need to work together, but the events that unfolded two days ago have the departments divided.

One 911, yet two different stories of what happened inside a northeast Albuquerque home as police and an Albuquerque Ambulance employee tried to save a suicidal woman.

"We had an Albuquerque Ambulance employee get in the way of an officer trying to do her job," Albuquerque Police Department Officer Nadine Hamby said.

Instead of rendering aide, the ambulance employee, Christine Stump, and the police officer got into a disagreement that landed Stump in handcuffs, according to the criminal complaint.

Stump is now charged with battery against a police officer.

"My understanding is that she pushed her out of the way," Hamby said.

The officer told Stump that the patient was acting aggressively, so the officer attempted to restrain her. That's when Stump allegedly grabbed the officer and told her to "let go of my patient," according to the criminal complaint.

APD said that it was the officer's job to ensure the safety of those in danger.

Albuquerque Ambulance said that they think the arrest was inappropriate. They said they're confident that an independent investigation will present an accurate version of what happened.

APD said the officer is in control of the situation until he or she deems it safe.

Albuquerque Ambulance said that APD officers have a different role to play than emergency medical personnel.

They said that one side thinks about the patient, while the other about safety.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,109 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:57 am
@dyslexia,
What they needed, dys, was a pair a docs
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 10:17 am
@dyslexia,
We have volunteer fire who have paid EMCs and emergency rescue. in most rural counties of Pa These groups are funded in-part based on the numbers of rescues they do in a year.
I used to do political cartoons for a local paper inChester and Lancaster County Pa in which I featured a long time feud between two recue services who were "saving" folks in areas well over their service area boundaries.
A cartoon I did showed the scene of a car accident and these two fire company rescue units all decked out with equipment. The figures were shown stuffing a victim back into a car wreck. The caption was

"REscue 42 is stuffing the victim back into the wrecked car so that Rescue 18 can have a shot at it"

Needless to say I got a lot of public criticism for the cartoon (from everybody except the fire rescue units-They said that they cut the cartoon out and were framing it for their offices). I had the newspaper make prints on better paper which I autographed and commented on their great senses of humor
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
Instead of rendering aide, the ambulance employee, Christine Stump, and the police officer got into a disagreement that landed Stump in handcuffs, according to the criminal complaint.

Uh, oh. Someone said "no" to a cop.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 10:30 am
I once called 911, and got a response from the fire department, the police, and ambulance service. After the fire department folks did triage on me, the ambulance took me to Stanford Hospital were I took up an emergency bed for over five hours - and by then I was feeling just fine. I kept telling the docs I was fine, but they insisted I stick around until they said I could leave. The cost for this "incident" was over $900 just for the ambulance. I thought I had a stroke.
0 Replies