Rockhead

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:18 pm
@Intrepid,
IMHO...

the US is more consumed with media perceptions and hype than the rest of the "civilized world".

surely we lead the globe in TVs per household...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

do you have mass promotion of sales of items at far below cost where only a few copies are for sale, or where it is on sale only for a couple of hours before the sun comes up???

no

as I noted in my post

Yes

we have the same advertising
the same 3/4/7 items per store promotions
1 hour only specials
we have the same stores - Walmart - Best Buy etc

Canadians head out at 2/3/4 a.m., get in line, set up their pup tents outside the store.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
surely we lead the globe in TVs per household...

# 3

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_tel_percap-media-televisions-per-capita
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

do you have mass promotion of sales of items at far below cost where only a few copies are for sale, or where it is on sale only for a couple of hours before the sun comes up???

no

You seem to have asked a question and then gave your own incorrect answer.

The correct answer is yes. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. Only a moron would ask a question and then give his own answer when he doesn't know what he is talking about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:37 pm
Tycoon, highly emotional? ehBeth and I spat over this about once a year - I react to anti u.s. digs like clockwork when it is about the whole country, me, who often bewails my country's modes. I'm not that emotional on this - I've high regard for the mores of Toronto and I'll throw in Adelaide, to whatever extent I understand them, but I'm also something of a gut fan of our caldron of variety in the u.s.

Which is to say, it's the dig I have a problem with - I might even agree with her question. Go figure.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Perhaps one difference is that, correct me if I am wrong, many stores here limit the number of patrons that can enter the store at one time when huge sales are in place.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:46 pm
@Intrepid,
That's more my gripe -- obvious competence at crowd control in the situations you talk about, Intrepid. As in why not at WalMart in Long Island.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:48 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That's more my gripe -- obvious competence at crowd control in the situations you talk about, Intrepid. As in why not at WalMart..

Must be an American thing Wink

Canadians are known for politeness and common sense Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:49 pm
@Intrepid,
The one time that I experienced an American Black Friday - at a Walmart in Columbus, Ohio - they controlled people going in the same way they do it here. They let people go in about 20 or 25 at a time, then took a one or two minute pause, let in the next 20 or 25.

ossoB, it's not meant as a dig, it's meant as a genuine question.

Canada and the U.S. are so similar in so many ways, and then weirdly different in others.

Even life expectancy rates are more different than I expect them to be.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:01 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Canada and the U.S. are so similar in so many ways, and then weirdly different in others.

Even life expectancy rates are more different than I expect them to be.

That one is easy. We have gun laws. Smile
Rockhead

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:04 pm
@Intrepid,
and health care...
Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

and health care...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I know, ehBeth. I have ear receptors for whole u.s. digs. It comes from being a person who has not been all that well rep'd in my government's stances, but no less a citizen.. though I have participated and gotten results.

Reading you and deb and msolga (all people I care about and agree with largely) - I run into these once in a while anti u.s. digs. What the hell am I supposed to say? We are not some monolithic mind settled pavilion of thought. But I and others like me get aced out by the swipes.

's ok. I gather we went after France (what can I say about that but &$###3^^!)
0 Replies