help on travelling, any way possible.

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 02:55 am
ive been thinking of possibly trying to take a tour of the world, it has seemed so impossible.. but if theres a will theres a way, how exactly do i start inquiring about ships, working for my room and board?

what are my options?

im close to LA, so i figure id get in contact with someone there, hopefully find a cargo ship that hits alot of countries..

really idiotic in my opinion, i have no moeny but i dont want to buy ****, i just want to visit unique places..

any advice? should i just wait 10 years until i have a stable career?

hah, yeah but thats the boring way..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,148 • Replies: 20
No top replies

saab

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 06:27 am
@OGIONIK,
Maybe this will be of help.

http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/mainmenu.html

Think about that normally cargo ships are in harbour very short time and sometimes they do not even need to go into the harbour but can be unloaded a bit away. It is not the way to see the world going by cargo ships.

Try to get a job on a cruise ship. They are in harbour longer time.

Why not try to work you way around the world? There are many ways one can do that. Either get a payed job working on farms and or unpaid volontary work.
Some families even look for male au pair but then you have to stay in a country for a longer period of time.

Are you good enough in English and English grammer to teach? There are language schools all over the world. But then you have to count on being away for a long time as you have to teach for some months at least every place.
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 06:37 am
@saab,
very great suggestions. a cruise ship sounds AMAZING.

id love working on a ship, even though being in the middle of the sea scares me..

well, treading water forever frightens the hsit out of me, i know id have no chance but then id try anyway, treading and treading, then id think, wow i cant see under me! omg sharks, omg jellyfish! !AAHHAHA ARGH! AAA

back to the subject. las vegas is cool and all, but i want a job a littl emore fulfilling, a cruise ship would fit the bill perfect. travel, new people, adventure sometimes..

but im sure id have to work just like on land, boring ol work. but id recieve a bigger reweard for it im sure. not monetarily speaking..
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:42 am
@OGIONIK,
I think a cruise ship is preferable over a container ship; not only for the interaction with the guests, but to travel around the world. Don't expect easy working conditions; most work like jack of all trades, and probably puts in more hours than you ever thought possible. However, I do notice that ship's staff do have the opportunity to get off the ship at ports - probably on rotation. Most staff seems to be happy and helpful while they work, and it also amazes me with their energy and assistance when asked - and some times without asking.

Let us know how you fare out looking for your dream job.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 01:28 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
ive been thinking of possibly trying to take a tour of the world, it has seemed so impossible.. but if theres a will theres a way, how exactly do i start inquiring about ships, working for my room and board?

I did this once. I went to the port every day for months with a guy who knew his way around (he would sell tea on the ships) and never got anywhere. Finally got a meeting with a shipping company, and they laughed it off. It wasn't easy at all, and I had to get a job scraping and painting yacht hulls in the marina before I finally made it to the states.

Quote:

what are my options? im close to LA, so i figure id get in contact with someone there, hopefully find a cargo ship that hits alot of countries..

I spent a year trying to get back to the US this way, it's not easy and it's not worth it. You'd work a lot harder than it would cost you to travel by some other means.

Quote:
any advice? should i just wait 10 years until i have a stable career?

You won't have time to travel the world then but you'll have the money to if you want to. My advice is to get your life in order before worrying about travel. You can spend years wasting away around the world without advancing your own goals and if you think being poor sucks at home with your family you should try it alone in a foreign country some time. It can be much worse.

Quote:
hah, yeah but thats the boring way..

Ships are boring as hell, so don't get the mistaken notion that it would be fun or romantic. For the most part, life is boring dude. Even fun becomes boring if you do it enough. Even wild partying, jetsetting around the world, and doing whatever you want gets old after a while. And pursuing fun usually means you have nothing to show for it except having spent all your money.

You'll be better off if you are financially stable, than pursuing fun too much too early.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I was thinking about all those college students who used to go to Europe on a "dime," and hitchhike all over the continent on the cheap. I'm just getting old, I guess. LOL
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 03:19 pm
@OGIONIK,

Working onboard a cruise ship does require hard work and discipline. It is common for employees to work 6 days a week and sometimes 10 hour days. You usually share your accommodations (cabin and bathroom) with other crew members and are required to maintain a certain level of behavior in public places. Contracts are between 4 to 6 months in length and if you're a good employee there is usually an offer to renew.

However, if you're not afraid of a little hard work and getting to know people, working onboard a cruise ship can be an experience of a lifetime and in some cases life changing. The benefits of working onboard a cruise ship are endless. Which is why it is the most sought after employment in the tourism industry.

Although you will be working hard, you will have many opportunities to visit various countries and experience the life of other cultures. In addition to exploring eye capturing destinations and taking in the sights and sounds, you will have the chance to earn an attractive salary. And what's more is you'll be able to save money! Since your accommodations and food are always paid, the only money you will need to spend will be for your personal use.

Where Would you be Traveling?

Where you would be traveling to obviously depends on the cruise ship in which you become employed by.

Some of the most frequented destinations are: Alaska, Caribbean, Bahamas, Hawaii, Bermuda, Mexico, Panama Canal, Canada, Mediterranean, Europe, South America, China, Australia, Italy, Greece, Indonesia, India, and Tahiti.

What is the income level?

You can often make $2,000-6,000 (U.S. funds) or more per month. This depends on the cruise line that hires you, the position you're applying for and your previous work experience.

How would I get to the ship?

Once you are hired by the cruise line, they will make arrangements for travel to their ship. Travel to and from ship are paid by the cruise line that hires you.

0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 08:06 pm
http://www.expeditions.com/Job_Opportunities58.asp

http://www.bootsnall.com/

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

Here are some websites for you to check out. Bootsnall.com has some great insights on budget round the world travel.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:59 am
@martybarker,
thanks for the advice!

thinking it thru, sounds very rewarding actually to work on a cruise ship..
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:08 am
@OGIONIK,
i forgot about my dog, how stupid.

lol. mehh
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 09:48 am
What happened to you taking some college courses?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 09:50 am
Join the Navy. You learn a trade, travel, and get tuition for college.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 09:56 am
one of the best times of my life was being super poor and traveling via freight trains.
I did not leave america too often. Got to mexico a few times.. but I did get to see a LOT of southern america. Got as far north as Concord/ Martinez California. Spent some time in the famous Height Ashbury place.. Didnt get that one. Rather boring unless you were a slutty transexual on LSD..
Spent some time in death valley, Utah, on th ebeaches of california ( absolutely beautiful!) Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, Louisiana.. you name it.

And I would do it again in a heart beat. I just now have adult responsibilities.. like a career, a child.. etc.

Fun i tell ya . Smile
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:51 pm
@DrewDad,
and lose your soul as well LOL.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

What happened to you taking some college courses?

reality, thats 9 months away.

omg no its 33 something months away. :/

now do you see why there is crime?new post time. people have limits..
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:12 pm
the cruise companies are going into a very bad time, they will not be hiring anybody and if they were they would hire some foreigner who is fine with working 70 hours a week for little money and needs to the job to support his family, not some spoiled American white boy.

The US Army is the answer to your problems, young man.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:20 pm
@shewolfnm,
I still see that "free spirit" in you. I keep trying, but my background sets limits on my wild side.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:27 pm
@OGIONIK,
Ogi. It's hard for me and maybe others to know quite what to say - you often blurt your rage or your disgust and a variety of exploratory wishes.
I think every one of us like you, at least me with an eagle eye seeing you attracted to the con.

I had a tighty upbringing, and I see you as never having had any thoughtful discipline/channeling, except by yourself. On the other hand, I don't recommend my upbringing.

I've thought of you of having little money, but then you recited all the stuff you have in a kind of compulsive getting (which I understand) - that could have paid for rent, where you could keep a dog, and so on.

So... speaking from my own lack, I'd suggest courses or at least reading re basic economy, before stowing away.

I didn't have any schooling basic economics myself,
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:28 pm
@OGIONIK,
ogi :

have you ever considered "volunteer work" - or is that too boring and sweaty ?

you could try it locally for just a few months on weekends and evenings - get to know people - make connections - spread your wings a bit further - make more conections ... and eventually volunteer overseas .

it's likely going to be a bit boring and sweaty at times , but you'll have a chance to prove to YOURSELF that you can do something different from the "ordinary grind" .

opportunities there are plenty ... have you got the will to do it ... or you just want to have a bit of fun while your life ticks away ?
have you ever asked yourself that question ? (what has the answer been ? you don't have to tell US , but do tell YOURSELF !) .
good luck !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:54 am
@OGIONIK,
Got a driver's licence?

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2008/12/help_wanted_wie.html

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/beefy-web.jpg

Quote:
See the world (or at least parts of the USA). Meet new and interesting people. Drive the Wienermobile.
Who knew it was a real job?
Oscar Meyer is taking resumes until the end of January for one-year spots as Hotdoggers. As an official company ambassador, you'll set up, publicize, and attend promotional and charity events in the oh-so-stylin' Wienermobile. And you may need to do radio interviews or make television appearances.

I had neighbours who did this in Canada about 20 years ago. It was always fun to see the vehicle when they were home.