ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY CEMETERY

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:34 pm
consider the environment - even after you're gone !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7745673.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45234000/jpg/_45234582_solar_226.jpg

Quote:
A Spanish city has found an unusual place to generate renewable energy - the local cemetery.

Santa Coloma de Gramanet, near Barcelona, has placed 462 solar panels over its multi-storey mausoleums.

Officials say the scheme was initially greeted with derision, but families who use the cemetery eventually supported the idea following a public campaign.

There are now plans to erect more panels at the cemetery and triple the amount of electricity generated.

The cemetery was chosen for the project because it is one of only a few open, sunny places in the crowded city, which has a population of 124,000 crammed into 4 sq km (1.5 sq miles).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 11,288 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:38 pm
@hamburger,
I think that is a fabulous idea. The "tenants" won't mind, and its a great way to get cheap energy!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:50 pm
@hamburger,
I also think it's a great idea. But when I think of places like the California, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona deserts that have near constant sun,nothing there, and nothing is done with it I must wonder if our country is serious about all this solar stuff.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:57 pm
@NickFun,
Nick- You hit on a nerve. I am completely enamoured with the deserts of Utah & Arizona. The thought of solar panels covering that exquisite landscape really upsets me. Now if they found some areas that were so off the beaten path, that no one sees it anyhow, then maybe I could agree with the concept.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 05:18 pm
@Phoenix32890,
You know that youre gonna have to give somewhere. Pick what you care about least and then support an energy initiative in those environments.

Coal?

Oildrilling?

Windfarms?

Solar farms?

Strip mining?

Drilling in senetive areas?

Nuclear wstes?

Bitch in the dark?

Pick 7 out of 8
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 05:20 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Nick- You hit on a nerve. I am completely enamoured with the deserts of Utah & Arizona. The thought of solar panels covering that exquisite landscape really upsets me. Now if they found some areas that were so off the beaten path, that no one sees it anyhow, then maybe I could agree with the concept.

The total amount of space needed to provide large amounts of solar power is tiny compared to the total available space of the Utah and Arizona deserts; and more importantly, it is less likely to be located in the wildest areas and more likely to be located near cities and settlements.

The idea that Solar panels are somehow going to ruin our natural landscape is somewhat laughable, really. You should be worrying about acid rain and coal pollution. Those things actually destroy nature.

Cycloptichorn
NickFun

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree Cyclo. I have traveled through the deserts and have found plenty of vast open areas far from any sign of human life -- or any life for that matter! The deserts could be utilized without destroying forests or damaging the environment. I also love the desert.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:53 pm
@NickFun,
I agree three. Solar panels can be placed in desert areas where there is no sign of life anywhere, unlike the windmills placed in a wide area shortly before one
enters Palm Springs. They look ugly, have cost a small fortune (1 wind turbine is about $1,5 mill), are environmentally unsafe for birds and half of them did not work, never mind that the electricity gained from windmills is far less than from solar panels.

Here is a picture of the windmills near Palm Springs versus solar in the desert
http://www.freefoto.com/images/39/01/39_01_1---Wind-Turbine-Generators--Palm-Springs--California_web.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/019B4Lu4kC2QY/610x.jpg
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:16 am
@CalamityJane,
Agree with all of you. Solar panels are the least among eyesores and, as has already been pointed out, they wouldn't be placed smack-dab in the middle of a National Park or otherwise scenic locale. They'd be close to cities and similar built-up areas and could be made to seem just a part of the over-all infrastructure. I, too, have driven all over the Southwest and found the natural beauty entrancing. But I think Phoenix forgets just how vast that expanse is.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:43 am
Solar systems in the desert would be justified only due to the local resource avaiability, right? I don't know about macro production sites, though. There's some power loss for long distance transmition. I wonder about how German's solar model would work in America, on top of every roof, so that people become self-sufficient on energy consumption and also a bit more conscious about power savings and its optimal use.

Wind farms are to me giant blenders in the eye of flying species.

rgds.
roger

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:53 am
@superjuly,
Solar and good wind locations are usually far from the point of consumption. If they are going to avoid transmission losses you mention, they might have to go to D.C. current, even though it can't be transformed.
dadpad

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:48 am
I'm amazed that you all think deserts are devoid of life. deserts team with life suitably adapted to those harsh climates of course. Shading an area of several 10's of Hectares could conceivably have an effect on local eco systems. I guess it bols down to how much are you willing to give up to have what you want.

My belief is reduce energy consumption first.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:51 am
Sure, it's a great idea.

Until the next solar eclipse, when the sun strikes the panels in such a way that infuses the tombs with precsiely the energy necessary to render the dead undead.

Slowly, but oh so persistently, they lumber toward Barcelona. And thus ensues the Hobbling of the Zombies, which makes Pamplona's festival look like child's play in comparison.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:52 am
You have been warned.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:43 am
@roger,
hence roof-mounted systems.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:56 am
A very good thread.

A good bit of information. Why can't all office buildings and factories pave their walls and roofs on the sunnier side with solar panels.?

Why can't airports, seaports, train and bus stations have solar panels in the non-working areas.?

Why can't ships have solar panels or solar sails for that matter. ?

Why can't military compounds, government buildings, and jails be similarly used?

Why can't the seaside hotels, bungalows or shoreline beach resorts use solar panels?

Container depots, oil rigs, school buildings, shopping malls, petrol stations, etc.???????
Leave the natural habitats alone. Thanks
0 Replies

amitbajpayee90

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 02:12 am
@hamburger,
Solar has a favorable impact on the environment. Solar reduce demand for fossil fuels and limit greenhouse gas emissions. It is helpful for saving money and keeps the environment pollution free.
0 Replies