littlek

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 05:37 pm
@Zippo,
That's right, uh-huh:

Quote:
You answered 29 out of 33 correctly " 87.88 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 78.1%
Average score: 78.1%

You can take the quiz as often as you like, however, your score will only count once toward the monthly average.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 05:40 pm
Of all the early Anglo settlers of these shores, the Puritans were probably most intolerant of religious freedom. The Rev. Roger Williams was forced to leave the Massachusetts Bay Colony because of his more tolerant beliefs. He moved south and established Rhode Island, a colony where all religious beliefs were tolerated and even welcomed. That's why the oldest Jewish Synagogue in North America is located at Tiverton, RI, not NYC. NYC was called New Amsterdam at the time and was strictly Dutch Reformed. People were executed on Boston Common for clingning to their Quaker faith, too.
H2O MAN

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 06:26 pm
@Merry Andrew,

I wish religion was kept a private and personal matter.
Life on earth would be much simpler if this were the case.
H2O MAN

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 06:27 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
People were executed on Boston Common for clingning to their Quaker faith, too.

Will O boy have those that cling to their religion and guns executed??
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:30 pm
What I found interesting was that I did better than some people who think they're such hot **** in the politics forum.
gungasnake

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:59 pm
Actually missed one, Q29. "E. government pays for its construction, not citizens" looked like a believable answer...
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

What I found interesting was that I did better than some people who think they're such hot **** in the politics forum.

Very Happy

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:37 pm
Amazing to me how many of you took this test without realizing what a clever piece of Conservative propaganda it is, designed to highlight every Conservative point of view and put forth by an extreme right-wing organization...

Cycloptichorn
Merry Andrew

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
Just this once I actually agree with you. (I promise not to make it a habit.)
H2O MAN

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Just this once I actually agree with you. (I promise not to make it a habit.)

Careful now... show some self control.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

Your whining response tells me you couldn't even answer 10 questions correctly Laughing
Cycloptichorn

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:49 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Your whining response tells me you couldn't even answer 10 questions correctly Laughing

I didn't take the quiz, Troll. I went to the website and said 'hmm, who is the ISI?'

Cycloptichorn
patiodog

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:04 pm
You answered 30 out of 33 correctly " 90.91 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 78.1%
Average score: 78.1%

Answers to Your Missed Questions:

Question #4 - B. Would slavery be allowed to expand to new territories?
Question #7 - D. Gettysburg Address
Question #11 - A. their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights

So, missed stuff that has more to do with history (e.g., who said what) than mechanism of gov't. My U.S. History course in school was worthless, Government and Economics course was pretty good. Both taught by raging alcoholics...

And I'm pretty sure I'm no less of a leftie after having taken the quiz than I was going in...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

Cyclotroll, quit whining and take the quiz allready.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Amazing to me how many of you took this test without realizing what a clever piece of Conservative propaganda it is, designed to highlight every Conservative point of view and put forth by an extreme right-wing organization...

Cycloptichorn

Yeah, kinda' figured that when they started asking questions about the free market system. Like I said: dumb quiz.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Ever vigilant Cyclo!

Thanks for exposing this vile attempt at brainwashing by asking factual questions.

You're not suggesting the answers are incorrect are you?
H2O MAN

Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

The vile brainwashing is coming from the left and has been for several decades.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think he is suggesting that the quiz asks questions that promote a conservative viewpoint.

like this one which has nothing to do with US history other than the founders would have read all of those listed.

Quote:
13) Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that:
A. all moral and political truth is relative to one’s time and place
B. moral ideas are best explained as material accidents or byproducts of evolution
C. values originating in one’s conscience cannot be judged by others
D. Christianity is the only true religion and should rule the state
E. certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason

How is that question really related to US history and our institutions? Answer, it isn't other than to promote a point of view about ethics that the authors of the quiz believe.

Why is the only question concerning Supreme Court rulings about Roe?
Certainly there are other cases that are more important, like Dred Scott, Brown vs the Board of Education, Miranda, or Marbury vs Madison.

I got 32 out of 33 correct but the thrust of the questions was pretty obvious so I was picking the most obvious conservative answer instead of thinking about the questions by the end. (I assumed conservatives don't know the difference between debt and deficit.)

Quote:
15) The phrase that in America there should be a “wall of separation” between church and state appears in:
A. George Washington’s Farewell Address
B. the Mayflower Compact
C. the Constitution
D. the Declaration of Independence
E. Thomas Jefferson’s letters

While it is accurate that the phrase comes from a letter by Jefferson, it is usually brought up to argue that there is no wall in the constitution itself. It is a fact, but one wielded by conservatives to try to support their point of view.

Not only can we tell the authors are conservative but we can tell they are probably religious conservatives based on the number of questions about religion, 8 of the 32.
gungasnake

Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:34 am
Anybody else get all the answers or miss just one or two of them??
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:34 am
I particularly like the question about the debates in the Lincoln era....
0 Replies