Lightwizard

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 10:23 am
Kenmore appliances and Craftsman tools are rated consistently high by Consumer Reports (Kenmore has taken the number one spot more than any other appliance, even though they are all made by name manufacturers). I doubt that anything will happen to the Land's End quality or the extent of choice in their catalog -- the label will just show up more often at their stores. The last time I shopped for a refridgerator, the best deal ended up at Sears (over our local Fry's and Circuit City among others). It's a Kenmore made by Amana (because I wanted the freezer at the bottom model).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 11:26 am
Pifka

Sometimes something else, sure.
I must admit that the jeans fit me exactly, since I'm normally a little bit to small for my size.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 06:59 am
LandsEnd doesnt appeal to me really. The fact that they have been a competitor of the last two companies I have worked for is probably somewhat of a deterent though. Many places like LandsEnd and LL Bean simply put their own label into the same clothes so, until you know the manufacturers then you really cant tell what the quality and/or durability might be. I knew bits and pieces of the Sears thing, and its no big surprise. Sears is working with some other ends of their business with another distributor and I think they are doing their best to diversify with quality to survive.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:04 am
Very true!

Many of the items I've bought recently from Bean and LandsEnd were made in foreign countries. Noticeably, the sizes were "slightly" off!
Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:17 am
There are only a very few manufactuers of apparel here in the States, no matter what anyone tells you...this I know. Many try to do things to get around the Made In The Usa thing but, in reality I can only think of three that actually fabricate from start to finish here. Although I also know that most textiles come from other countries as well, so that puts us down to probably two that are home grown completely.
Interesting that you found the sizing to be off as this is usually not the case with most but, I do know of three big suppliers where that is the norm, unfortunately. Many foreign manufacturers actually go by our standards due to our markets impact.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:21 am
At least with LL Bean, if you have problems, even years later, they'll allow you to return and fix 'em or replace 'em.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:24 am
Piffka:

You're absolutely right. When you say YEARS....believe me, many YEARS. Bean is great about that.

I tend to relate to the midwestern attitude of LandsEnd somewhat better than the New England tone of Bean. But...that's just me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:33 am
I haven't been very lucky with the quality of LL Bean products I've bought. and if i have to repair/replace, I'm going somewhere else.

Sears in Canada and the States are related but not the same. Sears home brands are definitely considered best quality and service when it comes to products such as tools and appliances. Manufacturers hope to be accepted by them as a provider. Their clothes are hopeless though.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:37 am
What I truly miss today, is the old fashioned dime store. You could walk right in and find virtually anything essential, that you needed from soup-to-nuts.

When I was in college, in order to save money, I bought most of my clothes there ( Exclamation ). Not that I was very fashion conscious, but I made out OK with my money, by going there.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:43 am
Well, Beth, did you return them? I would have.

We haven't had many problems but PFK had a canvas briefcase he used for years. Then the zipper broke. He returned it and they sent him a new one... it was great. I get almost all his shirts from Bean or Eddie Bauer -- both offer Tall sizes. I figure, if they don't offer tall, forget it!

I didn't know that Sears in Canada wasn't the same as the States. We've bought a few appliances from them and PFK likes their tools. It's about the only way to get him to the mall!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:46 am
Something new today with both LandsEnd and Bean:

They both offer Women's and large Men's sizes. That's something they never did, years ago. Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:53 am
Thank heavens I don't need those sizes! I did for a while, what a bummer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:56 am
returned the product and have never bought from LL Bean again.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 11:07 am
Isn't that the best way to do it? If you feel burned, just move on. There are many places to buy from. I liked that Northern Lights online catalog you showed me. Those stretch cords looked good, too. Do you still like them? I bought a pair of stretch cords, thinking yours sounded great. I love 'em. (They came from a local store at the mall.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 11:34 am
I still love those pants - I'm tempted to get a second pair. Northern Traditions/Northern Reflections is a company that I've had a lot of luck with. Comfortable, not too fussy clothes that are not too casual to wear to work.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 12:15 pm
You should post that link here... or maybe there ought to be a shopping forum. I'd like that! Best buys. Favorite stores. Virtual shopping trips!
0 Replies