Javaid

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:42 pm
I am monitoring rankings of my site ( for some other sites also) for the targeted keywords everyday. sometimes i will do it twice or thrice in a day. I observed that rankings changed everytime i.e., day to day and also from time to time when i checked during the day also.

Can anyone let me know when does google updates its search engine results. Is it happens once in a day or more than once in a day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,091 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:28 pm
@Javaid,
Google is constantly updating their results. There is not just one index that everyone uses, and they have multiple locations with hundreds of thousands of servers. As the changes to the results are made, they need to propagate out to the other datacenters and indexes.

From search to search you may end up on a different index, with slightly different results. There are also customizations based on localization (where you are), personalization (your Google account history) and things like the last things you were searching for may also become more prevalent.

In short, the old concept of 1 single set of rankings that's updated every so often has long been dead, and there is now a fluid and ever changing cluster of indexes that increasingly will not serve the same results to different people.

Every now and then an algorithm change will shake things up and look like the Google updates of old, but the index is now updated all day long every day as they crawl and isn't updated once a month like they used to back in the day.
0 Replies

jeffs

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:34 pm
You shouldn't run a position report so often. It's actually against Google's terms of Service. You risk having your site blocked. Try to limit it to once a month at most.

Just trying to help because I run them, too.
0 Replies