The Twenty-Somethings Club

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:42 am
I've become a little more aware of the generations present here on A2K as of late and I thought it would be cool to connect with people more my own age.

So if you are between 20 - 30 years old, this could be a cool place for us.

Some things I would like to know is, how did you come to A2K? What were you looking for?

I came here because I didn't have anyone to discuss religion or politics with. I went to Google and started looking for a religion forum. There were many options, I checked a few out. I started posting, and the rest is history.

I'm 25, out of college, single, and ambitious. Probably 2 of the things I just listed will change in the next year.

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 3,209 • Replies: 37
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:46 am
@Diest TKO,
i are bee twenty three. out of the ghetto and hating life.

Razz jk im just tired of life atm, my anger has ran out of fuel.

i came here to find some people interested in debating philisophical questions while at work at the worst job ive ever had. stuck in r room with security cameras.

i found out that everything in philosophy has already been discovered.

there is nothing.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:08 am
@OGIONIK,
What stands in the way of college for you? Have you thought about community college. I went to a community college for a while. I loved it.

You seem interested in the world, that's a bigger strength than many acknowledge. It's harder to exploit into getting you somewhere, but I take it as a good barometer that you could if you had a good compass.

T
K
O
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:20 am
@Diest TKO,
yes i tried very valiantly

and failed. but i chose to move around the obstacle rather than thru it.

im headed out in a few hours to a small school called kaplan for computer support technician or something.. i just want a mediocre job atm.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:22 am
What's up, ya'll. I can only be in your club for about four months.

Fuckin' 30.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:28 am
Here is the chain of events that led me to A2K:

When I was about, well, 20, doing summer temp work at some office, I was reading the NY Times online which then featured a forum called Abuzz. There was a question about SUVs. I much enjoyed railing against the fuel ineffecient monstrosities, even back in the day.

I continued to visit Abuzz, toeing the line between troll and mildly humorous observationist. To this day I enjoy trading barbs with the likes of cj and H20 Man, while my interest in making substantive contributions to political debates has waned considerably.

Abuzz bit the dust in 2004 or something like that. I caught the A2K train and saw some familiar names: Slappy, BPB, patiodog, etc. etc.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:37 am
You probably already know from the "other" thread, but I'm 25. Married, no kids (probably looking at kids in a couple years).

I came to A2K through Robert. After college I moved to San Diego, and took a job where Robert was my boss. Funny story: he was trying to get an idea of how well I knew PHP, and so in the interview asked me something to the effect of "Do you think you are capable of writing your own forum software, similar to phpbb?"

The rest is history, I guess. I've never been a big forum user before, so It's all kinda new to me. Once I recruit some people to debate programming languages, frameworks, and standards, I will probably post alot more Wink

Cue Robert making fun of the completely out of place, just out of college, new to California, "Hire-Me" suit I was wearing in 3...2...1...
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:38 am
@Gargamel,
Here, I'll issue you an age visa. This will permit you to socialize in this thread without fear of deportation.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:32 am
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

Cue Robert making fun of the completely out of place, just out of college, new to California, "Hire-Me" suit I was wearing in 3...2...1...

I never noticed it till you mentioned it later, then I couldn't stop laughing every time I thought of it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:40 am
@Nick Ashley,
I didn't realize you were in SD. That's where my family is from. I love it there. I'm thinking about just running away for a few days to Coronado to get away from DC in the first quarter 09. Perhaps if I go for it, we can get some drinks or eat some hummus.

Great city.

T
K
O
maporsche

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:20 pm
I'm 28. I'll join this club. I'll post more when I have time.
Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:41 pm
@Diest TKO,
Sorry, I was is San Diego. Moved there right after college, but have sense moved back near my hometown, in Omaha, NE. If you ever make it to the midwest, I'll take you up on the drinks though Wink
Below viewing threshold (view)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:14 pm
@Diest TKO,
29 and lovin it. Came here for politics discussion and that still accounts for 95% of my posts.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 04:13 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm 28. I'll join this club. I'll post more when I have time.

BTW, feel free to address me as my other name.

masubaru.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 04:14 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

Sorry, I was is San Diego. Moved there right after college, but have sense moved back near my hometown, in Omaha, NE. If you ever make it to the midwest, I'll take you up on the drinks though Wink

Oh wow. Yeah I know Omaha. I'm flying to Kansas City tomorrow. I am from MO, and I have friends and family all the way through IA and MN. I'll keep it in mind.

T
K
O
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
When I joined, I was indeed twenty-something. Littlek was my housemate, and she was always on this online forum...kept telling me about people with funny names like Gargamel or Fishin or whatnot. I was buying a new computer and wanted advice. She posted a question for me, and I lurked around, finally I responded and was hooked. 2003 this was, I think.
I am still twenty-something in my heart....and live a life of a teenager combined with a cranky grandmother.
Aldistar

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:49 pm
I just hit the 29 mark at the beginning of this month, so I guess I still count Smile. I stumbled across a2k from a google search about something I don't even remember. I trolled around for a bit then dove in. I post mostly in the art - pets - books sections, but have been known to blab on almost all threads. I'm married no kids (I have until the end of my 30th year to decide about them). I'm a retail manager and a full time artist.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:50 am
@Aldistar,
i love reading about peoples real life connections, i had no idea littek and dag were friends IRL!!

<3 a2k hahaha

one day, maybe some of you will meet me Very Happy

Razz
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:40 pm
I've met Cicerone Impostor on my road trip last year. We had coffee. Cool guy. I want to meet more people. Perhaps, I will try to go to one of the meet ups.

T
K
O