Is that thing registered?

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:06 am
@2PacksAday,
Merry beat me to "gamut" -- but wanted to say anyway that I'd be interested in reading that book.

Maybe something to investigate, whether you'd have to pay them?

Or maybe lightly fictionalize it -- "based on a true story..."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:15 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
Quote me...
...perhaps 100, that have run the gammit of meth use...

Gammit is not even a word....Gambit is, but that's eh..an opening move...to take a chance, risky...a "bet" of sorts....and I really don't know what word I wanted to put in there...gauntlet maybe..."have ran the entire course" is what I meant...pick which ever word you like.

The word you're looking for is gamut -- "the complete range or extent."

I so cringe when I hear that someone had to run a gauntlet.

0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:50 am
Yes, Gamut...TY...heh, I tried several different consonants last night....lammbit....wammbit....shlambunt....and after a dozen of those, the word, and most other words, lost all meaning, and I went straight to bed. You can say gauntlet, and in context most will know what you mean, as in an "ordeal" but I agree, it's not proper either....Klingons with cattle prods is what comes to mind when I hear that word.

------

In a small community such as mine, it's very difficult to write about much of anything without it being deciphered. What I mean is, well, for a few years I had a weekly/semi weekly column in one of our local papers...just whatever came to mind, often inspired by conversations I had with my family or with townsfolk. My family expects this sort of thing from me, but with acquaintances, it's a whole different beast. It got to the point where they would watch what they said in front of me, in fear of being quoted in my next installment...even though I never "quoted" anyone, I might have simply used a single statement...or if a more serious discussion came along, I might use their general pov...to build a piece around, it still created some tension. The only person I ever directly quoted...and it was quite often, was my sister...because she asked me not to....pleaded would be more accurate.

A good example is this very thread, my pieces were a lot like Boomers topics on A2k...something pops into her head, or she sees or hears something neat/interesting that day...and here it is. I only wrote one article about meth/drug use, and in it I vaguely mentioned something "someone had said many years ago"...after it was published, I was approached by fifteen people wanting to know if it was them I was referring to, and it was none of them. I tried to get my editor to let me use a pen name, but he flatly refused...all of my pieces were handed in signed with my nom de plume, but always bore my real name in print. The internet is fairly anonymous but even so, there are many things that I have often wanted to write about, but don't just in case someone I know runs across it.

A book would probably get me shot, or at least ran out of town, so it would no doubt have to be written under an assumed name. Chances are slim that the subjects would ever read it anyway though, unless I titled it "Meth-ology", "Crank 101" or "They Called Her Twister"...so, I don't know, maybe it's doable.
0 Replies