Is that thing registered?

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:10 pm
I was in our neighborhood goofball store today to buy a can of spray paint.

When you buy a can of spray paint you have to show your driver's license, let them recored all your information, and sign a sheet. Spray paint is kept locked up. Most stores won't even sell it anymore because of the hassle. You have to really want spray paint to bother with the nonsense surrounding buying it.

The clerk, a woman pushing 70, got off on a rant that I thought was interesting.

She noted that people could come in a buy hundreds of dollars worth of bullets with no check of any kind but I had to register a damn can of spray paint.

You also have to register buying certain brands of decongestants.

I suppose we just don't have the right to keep and bear spray paint (or decongestants).

What is up with that?

I'm curious about how this works outside of the USA. Does any other country require you to register stuff?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 1,728 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:12 pm
@boomerang,
It's just a coastal thing, boom.

Damn taggers, anyway...)
roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

It's just a coastal thing, boom.

Damn taggers, anyway...)

Regarding the decongestant thing, it isn't just coastal. Not sure about the spray paint; it's been a long time since I bought any, but I believe it is out on the shelves in NM, and restrictions might be more related to people bagging and sniffing the stuff.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:23 pm
@roger,
Spray paint is locked up at the Home Depot's here in Austin.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:28 pm
In San Francisco, I discovered during a visit last year, dental adhesive is kept locked up at the CVS stores. You have to find a clerk and ask him to unlock the cabinet. Why? Seems some California street people have discovered that mixed with something else -- the clerk said he didn't know exactly what -- it makes a powerful hallucinogenic. He also told me the problem isn't so much legal as economic. If you don't keep the stuff under lock and key, shoplifters will make it disappear. There's no law that says you have to keep it out of reach and I didn't have to show ID or demonstrate that I really do wear dentures. Live and learn. Smile
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:30 pm
@boomerang,
Let me tell you a funny thing about American gun laws and how close they come to being logical....

Everybody who was ever killed with any sort of firearm prior to 1864 was killed with black -powder weapons which did not use cartridges the way modern weapons do. Moreover, many of those weapons, because of the large calibers and the heavy balls and bullets they used, were MORE lethal than modern firearms, assuming the target was within their effective range.

There was no gain in lethality going from the black powder age to the modern age of firearms; the gain was in ballistics, and in a reduced requirement to calculate elevations.

But guess what? In America today other than in a small handfull of states, ALL of those kinds of weapons are legally equivalent to slingshots and boy scout knives. You can order them via the mail, no questions asked.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116477412
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:36 pm
@gungasnake,
For once you're right, Gunga. I have a fully working replica of Colt Army (.44 cal.) model I ordered from a mail order catalgue and had delivered by the US Post Office as regular parcel post.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:55 pm
@roger,
I was referring to the paint.

Meth parts are as I've seen it, Nationally accounted for.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:21 pm
The pseudephedrine in the decongestants is the raw material for crystal meth through what is apparently a fairly easy distillation process. People were coming in and buying hundreds of packages at a time. It was fairly obvious where it was going. It screws people up really badly. Communities too. Unfortunately Mexican pharmaceutical companies don't seem to care who they sell to, or how much they sell at a pop.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
Really? I had always assumed shoplifting for that use.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:33 pm
@roger,
taggers call stealing racking, mainly when referring to stealing paint.

if you guys have seen the shocking amounts people i know have stolen, you would be astonished.

1 huge duffel bag, inside jacket, when i say huge i eman huge... pick a busy day, go in with 1 friend and completely fill the duffel bag, just knock the **** in there as fast as possible. friend hits the mergency exit with an alarm, duffel bag guy walks ou the frotn door ignoring anyone who tries to interfere, if security for example stops the duffel bag guy the second guy simply walks up behind him and does anything or whatever to incapacite him, usually a taser is used.

that was years back tho the cages really stopped that kind of racking.

ive seen bedrooms full of spraypaint, ink, leather dye, markers, cans of paint, rollers, etcetera.

like completely stuffed full..

crazy ****.
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:10 am
We had a {somewhat} local girl die from "huffing" spray paint several years ago...they spray it into a plastic bread bag, and then huff and puff for a bit. I've seen some pictures of arrested huffers....sad, but comical.

Yeah, a lot of cold pills are used in making meth, if a clerk even sees anyone asking for, or trying to buy several boxes, they are required to call the police. When meth really began to become a big problem, all the newspapers were running stories about the stuff....one even gave a full list of the ingredients, and roughly half the "cooking" process. If you don't know what is used to make the stuff, you would be shocked....freon, acetone....Drano....jeez.

At one time, {probably still applies} if you were caught in possession of three or more ingredients, they could arrest you. I often have way more than three with me at any given time, because of my work, I try to avoid doing so, but simply forget, until I pass a cop...or one gets behind me. I have ran into several people over the years at Wal-Mart and such....known dopers...and when I say hey what's up...they always give a very loud, rushed reply....INEEDCLEANINGSUPPLIES!!!

I've thought about writing a book...using...say, 10 people I know, that have had a severe meth addiction, but I would probably have to pay them, and I don't want to be responsible for a relapse....very, very few can completely get off the stuff. I can easily name 50 people...perhaps 100, that have run the gammit of meth use...and only a few still retain their original personalities {pod people}....and really the few are just better at hiding the after effects of heavy meth use than the others....they "act" like their old selves should.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:32 am
i hear that my friend.
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:07 am
@OGIONIK,
Hey Ogi....you just steer clear of all that nonsense young man....pulls pants up higher...you hear me....dammit.

---------

Quote me...
...perhaps 100, that have run the gammit of meth use...

Gammit is not even a word....Gambit is, but that's eh..an opening move...to take a chance, risky...a "bet" of sorts....and I really don't know what word I wanted to put in there...gauntlet maybe..."have ran the entire course" is what I meant...pick which ever word you like.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:25 am
@2PacksAday,
ima do whatever gets me money.

Very Happy

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:34 am
@OGIONIK,
Money only buys so much in prison. Wink
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:35 am
The spray paint is out for all to see here in Mi.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:37 am
@Merry Andrew,
Consider this...

Four years ago two idiots (Malvo and Mohammed) had the entire D.C. region in a state of panic for two or three weeks prior to being caught, I assume all are familiar with the story. They werre using an M16 for their "sniper" thing but, the thing is, the WAY they were using the thing, one shot then scoot, they could just as easily have been using a black-powder muzzle loader; it wouldn't have made any difference.

The problem was not guns; the problem was left-coast mosques which were functioning as agencies of evil and of enmity against the United States. The mosques and the dickheads running them needed (and likely still need) to be put out of operation and business.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:59 am
@OGIONIK,
I think we have discovered Ogionik's area of expertise!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:02 am
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
Quote me...
...perhaps 100, that have run the gammit of meth use...

Gammit is not even a word....Gambit is, but that's eh..an opening move...to take a chance, risky...a "bet" of sorts....and I really don't know what word I wanted to put in there...gauntlet maybe..."have ran the entire course" is what I meant...pick which ever word you like.

The word you're looking for is gamut -- "the complete range or extent."