Is dance a method of vanity?

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:20 pm
In our current time, it can be easily noticed that club dancing is little more than displaying one's body and fitness. From this I have considered the history of dance, going as far back as line dancing and ultimately cavemen stomping in time (I suppose), and wonder upon my conclusion: subtracting the physical rewards of dance (hand-eye coordination, fitness, "stress relief", etc.), is dance merely a process of vanity? Is it reasonable to assume that one only seriously dances for the sake of appearance? I am aware that I have a bias on this, and would appreciate input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 7,411 • Replies: 67
No top replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:20 am
@TheRexorcist,
nope, it is a way to groove and resonate with the rhythm of the universe.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:49 am
no, dance is expression, is exposing oneself. Showing who you are is not by itself vanity, feelings of pride and superiority are required to make it vanity.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:31 am
It's a vertical expression of a horizontal desire.
Francis

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:11 am
@Wilso,
It could be, but desire is not only horizontal, it can be achieved in every azimuth..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:26 am
Dancing has always seemed to be a pointless and futile waste of time.
So far as I am aware, no good comes from it.
Admittedly, it is as harmless as it is pointless.

Presumably, if u wish to exercise,
running around the block or lifting weights will fare better.
Francis

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
At best, you suggestion creates a behavioral void of pleasure that the brain attempts to satisfy in some other way"and that way is often misguided.

For your mental health's sake, lighten up!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:05 am
@Francis,
Quote:

At best, you suggestion creates a behavioral void of pleasure
that the brain attempts to satisfy in some other way"
and that way is often misguided.

For your mental health's sake, lighten up!

In principle, I fully support hedonism; I always did.

I just don t see the point of moving around in circles
or jumping around, waving your arms and legs,
tho, as I said, it is a harmless waste of time.

If people find pleasure in doing that,
then thay shoud do it.

David
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:58 am
@kuvasz,
I agree. There is something very primal about moving to music that resonates, on one level or another, with every human being. I think that some of the earlier dances, like the waltz, or the tango, that illustrate more that concept more clearly.

Every era has its favorite dances. I think that you can detect something about a particular society by observing the dances that are in vogue.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:32 am
@TheRexorcist,
Rexorcist (love your screen name). Welcome to A2K. I love to dance and it has nothing to do with "horizonal". Dancing has been around for centuries and is done for many reasons. For example, the American Indian rain dance.

http://www.illusiveskull.com/rental/seasonal/185-08/185-08-rain-dance-indian-lg.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:20 am
@TheRexorcist,
Dance can involve communication and community. Many traditional dances have nothing to do with body/body shape/fitness.
Shapeless

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:30 pm
@TheRexorcist,
Quote:
subtracting the physical rewards of dance (hand-eye coordination, fitness, "stress relief", etc.), is dance merely a process of vanity?

Well sure, if you disregard all other purposes, then it may look like dance has only one purpose. Perhaps the best way to answer your question would be to suggest not disregarding those other purposes.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:54 pm
Well, the Baptists are right--dance and music are tools of Satan to snare you into carnality and apostasy. And they work.

Anthropologically speaking, there are some forty or fifty characteristics that just about every human culture shares. And music and dance are among them. They've found Neanderthal bone flutes around sixty thousand years old that are very close to the modern diatonic scale we use.

Dance feels good, it releases endorphins, it's a means of social and sexual bonding, it looks good, it's intellectually stimulating to create, it builds community and ritual bonding, it's pretty.

David, go look at some expert couples doing West Coast Swing, or Cajun Two Step, or New England contra dancing. Think of the intellectual exercise required to create those complex interactions out of a couple dozen basic moves. Regard it as mathematical exercises in combination and permutation. Or just rent a couple Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers DVDs (and disregard the story lines, which are, to be sure, usually dumb). Organize a Mensa learn-to-swing-dance SIG. You might learn something (or EXPERIENCE something, without endlessly thinking about it). (and stop worrying about what Obama is gonna do to your guns for awhile).
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:10 pm
And who knows, you might even meet a sweet little OmSigDavidette--dancing is very good for that.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:16 pm
And has been, ever since the Neanderthals.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:56 pm
@MontereyJack,
On the subject of Baptists, why don't Baptists have sex standing up?

They might start to dance.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:04 pm
@TheRexorcist,
R u RexRed ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Dance can involve communication and community

Well, if u wanna communicate, woud it be more effective
to write a letter to the editor of the newspaper, or just call someone on the fone ?

David
Shapeless

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:01 pm
@Wy,
Quote:
On the subject of Baptists, why don't Baptists have sex standing up?

Now might be a good time to try: there was Cosmo article, or something like that recently, that said the hottest sex position today is [insert drumroll]... up against a wall.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:20 pm
@Wy,
ba da bump

that is one of Set's favourite routines
0 Replies