which school should i put my child in?

Nith

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:16 pm
Hi !! I have a 14 month old son and currently residing in Westmead....My husband and I are planning to buy a new house and move in the suburb which has a good school so that we do not have much problem of travelling or picking him up from School everyday..We are confused with the following suburbs: Merrylands,Fairfield,Toongabbie,Liverpool,Wenthworthville,Blacktown..Can any one let me know which of the schools are good amongst all ..I have moved from India 2 years back.But I do not know how the schools system works and difference in education between the private and public schools..what are selective schools? Can some body guide me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:36 pm
@Nith,
Welcome to Able2Know, Nith. What country are you in?
Nith

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:48 pm
@ehBeth,
I am in Sydney,Australia
ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:56 pm
@Nith,
Hi Nith. I'm in Canada, so not familiar with the Sydney options.

I've tagged your thread (on the left side) with some words that will hopefully catch the eye of one/some of our Australian posters.

Good luck!
Nith

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Hey thanx so much Beth!!Just hope to get some info very soon...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:29 pm
@Nith,
Hi, Nith
A couple of questions first.

Where do you and/or your husband work? School is one thing and commuting is another issue. Focus on access to work - and then pick an area with a good school.

Are you bound to those suburbs you mention?

Are you looking at state or private schools?

Having said all this - I know absolutely nothing about schools. In a previous response, another poster has recommended the Beecroft area - where his children go to school. However, there is a significant price differential between Beecroft and any of the suburbs you mention. And I'm not aware of any especially good schools in those suburbs.

Post again and I'll try to be of help.

Well tagged, Bethie!
Nith

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:35 pm
@margo,
Hi Margo! My husband works in Parramatta..The suburbs I mentioned are the places we are looking to buy a unit..but schools in and around the neighbouring suburbs are also fine as long as they are gud..Regarding Private or Public: well
I m confused about that as well: whether to put him in public now and then change to private or just put him in one good school and not change..
margo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:44 pm
@Nith,
Then money comes in to the equation.
Private schools cost money.
State schools cost a lot less.
Units in good suburbs cost more than units in poor suburbs. Blacktown, Liverpool, Fairfield - are not known for good schools!

There are good catholic schools in Parramatta - but I'm not sure about the state schools.If you look towards the Hills district (bus commute to Parramatts) your chances of finding a good school increase. But there's a very extreme "Christian " school out that way - can't recall the name (?Redeemer) and you'd want to avoid that if you were half clever.
Nith

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:13 pm
@margo,
that sounds like there is a huge price difference between public and private schools margo...

margo

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:36 pm
@Nith,
Yep - it's called money.

The Catholic (system) schools are not too expensive.
Other private schools may well be.
State schools are supposed to be free - but they do cost you something.

All I can really suggest is that you identify an area in which you can afford to live - and see what the schools are like. I guess you have plenty of time, if your boy is only 14 months.
0 Replies