Do white tailed bucks normally travel together?

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:27 pm
Yesterday I looked out the living room window and spotted an eight-point buck browsing at the fringe of the yard. I discovered he was accompanied by another buck, this one a ten pointer.

I know white tail does are gregarious creatures year round and that during mating season bucks are both prideful and solitary.

Is it common for buck to travel together?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,380 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 05:41 am
They are like all men on the prowl. If one sees another headed in a direction they think "Hey, maybe he's on to something." and follows along.
A bowhunter friend of mine, who had the patience of a rock, would sometimes sit and watch the first buck come into an open place for five minutes or more, sure enough, some other buck would come to have a looksee. Sometimes a bigger boy, sometimes not.

Joe
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 07:22 am
Joe Nation--

Thanks. The scene makes sense now.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:33 pm
Noddy....Where do you live? lol...its deer season here and I'm always lookin' for that big one!

Yes, Bucks do gather together in groups. But it usually depends on the time of year...depending on whether its rut or not. If their in Rut.....they get very independent, you know...searching for the doe in heat....kinda like some men we know and they aren't to fond of sharing. lol
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:34 pm
Noddy....Where do you live? lol...its deer season here and I'm always lookin' for that big one!

Yes, Bucks do gather together in groups. But it usually depends on the time of year...depending on whether its rut or not. If their in Rut.....they get very independent, you know...searching for the doe in heat....kinda like some men we know and they aren't to fond of sharing. lol
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:51 pm
I'm in the Poconos in NE Pennsylvania.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:55 pm
Once the does go into heat the bucks come out of the woodwork. The dominant buck will take charge but there will be lesser status bucks following closely on his heals.

I've seen the situation Joe mentioned a few times. When it's time to graze the does will go out into the open first, then the younger bucks with the mature bucks the last to leave the woods.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 01:04 pm
My favorite situation - getting to take or make a choice - that's a rare thing.
0 Replies