Concerning McCain, the Right and Racism In This Race

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:53 pm
I wonder how much of it is specific racism and how much of it is just using that to smear Obama because it's another bullet for the gun?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 825 • Replies: 10
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:01 pm
I think most of the accusations of racism are bullshit, and this is an attack from Obama supporters to republicans, not the other way around.

Please note, I say most are bullshit, not all.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:01 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Or how much of it is being put out there by the Obama campaign to divert attention from real negatives? If Obama can make any criticism look like racism, then he becomes immune from any criticism.

I have long said that I do not want a black president for exactly that reason. I want a President that we can talk about, criticize, analyze, and critique as we would any President with no holds barred and nothing appropriate off limits. If that President happens to be black, that is fine.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:12 pm
@maporsche,
I have said before that I think Obama and his campaign were smart enough at the very beginning to know race would come into play and have turned it around and used it to their advantage and been pretty clever about it so IMO there's something for what you say....but I also think there's a lot of people who will not vote for him based on his race and I think McCain has, as the campaign has gone on... pandered to that group more and more.

I wonder how many on the right would vote for Obama if he shared McCains ideaology and was the republican nominee?
maporsche

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:22 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I wonder how many on the right would vote for Obama if he shared McCains ideaology and was the republican nominee?

I'm sure most, 99%+ would.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:24 pm
@maporsche,
well if we live long enough to see the repubs run a black candidate we'll find out.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:57 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Do you think Colin Powell would not have been a Republican nominee, either President or Vice President, by now if he had been willing to run for high office? The fact is you are attributing racism to the GOP with zero evidence that it is prevalent. But already the stage is being set to accuse racism as the cause should Obama lose on November 4. It isn't Republicans who pile on and condemn and smear and violate a conservative black Republican as a betrayer of his race or accuse him/her of being an oreo or hanky head or other uncomplimentary terms that have been thrown at Powell, Rice, Watts, Thomas, Sowell, Walters, Steele et al.

So who will be voting against Obama for reasons of racism?

It won't be the GOP who would be voting against him no matter what his race, religion, ethnicity or anything else is. He stands for just about everything that conservative Republicans do not. His race has absolutely nothing to do with it other than resentment of his using his race as a club to silence his critics.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:16 pm
Here's how ridiculous it has become:

Quote:
By Melissa DiPane
FOX 35 NEWS

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- She's only 12 years old but Ashleigh Jones is feeling the heat of this election year.

That’s because the seventh grader at New Smyrna Beach Middle School was called a racist by classmates for wearing a pro-Sarah Palin t-shirt.

Jones is volunteering at the Republican Headquarters in New Smyrna Beach. The Palin t-shirt was a gift from her fellow volunteers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO: --Student called out for political t-shirt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But when she wore it to school she learned just how tough politics can be.

“Some of the students were calling me racist because I was Caucasian,” she said. “I wanted the Caucasian man to win. And I told them that’s not true. It’s my freedom of speech, it’s my opinion.”

Jones' parents say they aren't mad at the school they just want everyone including their daughter to voice their opinion constructively.

Officials with Volusia County Schools said there were no referrals or complaints to the office about this incident.

Ashleigh said that more of her friends are expressing their views by wearing political t-shirts and she plans to wear hers again.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Politics/Detail;jsessionid=8EDE7239458D66C06F2F12D999D46653?contentId=7664724&version=11&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.14.1&sflg=1
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
your opinion is noted....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:14 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I want a President that we can talk about, criticize, analyze, and critique as we would any President with no holds barred and nothing appropriate off limits.

You're a joke, Foxy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 08:39 am
@Foxfyre,
I think Colin Powell sealed the deal for his republican presidential nomination in 2012 today Wink
0 Replies