What did we look at when we listened to the Radio?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:31 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for the offer; will do.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 05:52 pm
So tonight I am walking to the subway listening to NPR and I think "You idiot. What are you looking at while you listen to Prairie Home Companion?"
I thought for a moment and then told myself that I was not an idiot and to stop talking that way about me. Then I thought about where my focus was as I listened.
It wasn't on the sidewalk in front of me, it was just a little above eye level and slightly to the left.
I thought "You're making that up." but no, if I stopped to listen (I have a Zen Audio player that gets FM Radio.) and let my eyes drift where they want to go, they go just about where I said. Ahead, a little up and off to the left.
I remember some study where they tracked where people's eyes went when they were trying to remember something. That showed way up and to the right as if they were trying to see into their own brains.

Joe(Listening and imagining are different than remembering.)Nation
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:38 am
My father bought a television in 1949, so we, as a family, never listened to radio serials. My mother listened to morning news/music programs, tuning into some of Detroit's most popular dj's, Robin Seymour and Dick Purtan. Of course, their shows were just background noise for the activities involved in getting up and out to school.

i began listening to NPR only after moving in 2007. It helps me on my commute and is great for making kitchen chores easier.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:33 am
My parents didn't believe in watching TV for young kids, so we simply didn't
have a set until I was about 10 years old. Radio was our main form of entertainment and information. Every night at 7:00 pm we would hear bedtime stories on the radio and I still to this day remember the voice of the storyteller, she had such a soft, kind and distinguished voice.
0 Replies