World's tallest hardwood tree found in Australia

dadpad

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:41 am
World's tallest hardwood tree found in Australia

The world's tallest hardwood tree has been discovered less than five kilometres from Forestry Tasmania's Tahune Airwalk tourism attraction. It is the only known standing hardwood tree in the world to be over 100 metres tall. The trees are located in State forest, about 4 km northeast of the Tahune Airwalk, south of Hobart.

Forestry Tasmania staff found the Eucalyptus regnans using an airborne laser scanner (LiDAR), which had been flown over the area in August. This technology is world leading and FT has been developing it to measure tree volume, develop digital terrain maps and to monitor carbon storage. The LiDAR imagery appeared to show two very tall trees standing side by side. Laser signals reflected off the canopy of the higher of the two trees showed it was at least 99 metres above the ground.

The trees were located and inspected from the ground on Monday. The two trees, included what is believed to be the world's tallest hardwood, which stands at 101 metres tall.

Details of the two trees are as follow:

The Centurion - (A Roman officer in charge of 100 soldiers)
Height 100-101 metres, (measured with a laser using the sine method). Because the sight to the very top of the tree was partially obscured by the tree's healthy crown, it may be taller.
Diameter: 405 cm
Species: E. regnans (Swamp Gum)

Triarius - (Latin for veteran soldier)
Height 86.5 metres, (measured with a laser using the sine method). Clear sight to the very top of the tree.
Diameter: 390 cm
Species: E. regnans (Swamp Gum)

Interestingly, it looks as if the tree was once even higher. It appears to have broken off at the top, then re-sprouted a new healthy crown.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,935 • Replies: 13
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:59 am
@dadpad,

A tall tale.

Anyway trees in Oz have it easier since they hang upside down.
bruce kolstad

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
Interesting.
dadpad

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:40 am
@bruce kolstad,
you'll have to do better than that Bruce. Sorry one word reply's just dont cut it around here.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:48 am
@McTag,
Hey Mac...

didya show DadPad the tree Mrs.Mac was standing in front of!!!!!

Now that is what you call a gert big tree!
dadpad

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:50 am
@Izzie,
a redwood i bet. I lke redwoods I planted a heap on a farm this year for timber.
bruce kolstad

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:52 am
I thought redwoods were only in California.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:55 am
@dadpad,
looky here DP

http://able2know.org/topic/120944-5#post-3435980

HU HU HU HU HU HU HU HUMONGOUS!

Yep 'tis a redwood methinks...

<where's Mac when yer need him a?)

I love this tree!
margo

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:11 pm
@dadpad,
Sheeesh, dp

Why didn't you tell me this about 2 weeks ago. We decided not to go to the Tahune thingy - ran out of time. I could have gone and peed on it for you!
dadpad

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:38 pm
@margo,
Because.... it took me that long to climb the sucker, attach the tape measure climb down again, read the measurement, climb back up, de attach tape measure, climb down.

I was plumb tuckered after all that.I
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:52 pm
@Izzie,
Not a redwood exactly, but a giant sequoia. The ranger said they were different.
The redwoods grow nearer the coast, and are taller (sometimes) but not so big (bulky) as the giant sequoias.
That's what I think he said.

Big tree innit. Here's another

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/IMG_3996.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/IMG_4001.jpg
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:25 pm
@dadpad,
Amazing - and that's a recent find!

I tried googling for images but didn't find anything worth posting.

I'd be interested if you ever come across any.

I wonder how old they are.
dadpad

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:40 am
@Joeblow,
it takes 200-400 years for these to grow to these heights. They also need huge amounts of rainfall/ specific altitude requirements and many nutrients. In that time the trees have to survive bush fires, parasites and forest mammals, storms & strong winds, lightning strikes and the greatest threat of all - intervention by man. You'll agree, the odds are stacked against the trees.

some photos toward the bottom of this page.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/mruhsam/
Joeblow

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 01:25 pm
@dadpad,
Thanks!

Some good photos there. The Otways photo section is great, too. I love the “Old Man Tree.”

0 Replies