How many American people know the Milk problem in China.P.R

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:35 am
hello, friends, do you know the milk problem in China? I just got little information from CNN website. who know the fact, please tell the turth and what do you think of this problem. And i also want to know, do you buy Chinese production in USA? if you brought, what kind do you choose?

i am waiting you answer!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,917 • Replies: 30
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:39 am
@generaljin,
I think everyone in these United States is familiar with the milk problem from China.

Do you mean, buy milk products from China, or other production? I know of no one who would buy milk products. As for the rest, it's often difficult to find things not made in China. I think most of us tend to avoid them when possible.
generaljin

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:54 am
@roger,
hi,roger, that you means the us people always avoid the products which made in China? why ? is it bad quality or other problems?As i know, the export goods in china is always the best . if you said just milk, haha, in fact many chinese people also drink Austrilian milk!
roger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:16 am
@generaljin,
Wellll. There's toxic milk. There is upholstered furniture causing terrible chemical burns on some people who spend time in contact with it, and of course, there are the children's toys with toxic lead based paint. What more could we ask. Maybe a censored media valiently trying to cover up all of the above, and the occasional outbreak of bird flu and HIV contaminated blood supplies?

Sell it cheap enough, and someone will always buy. There does seem to be an unending parade of "issues", however.

I do not want to come across as hostile, jin, but it's all wearing a bit thin. To say that "the export goods in china is always the best" is to indicate that the person makeing the statement gets his information from mainland China news sources.
McTag

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:37 am
@generaljin,

I have been in the USA recently. Milk from China, given to children, was found to have been deliberately mixed with a chemical which masked the fact that the milk was deficient in important nutrients, but which was actually liable to cause permant damage to the health of anyone who drank it.

This is about the worst thing these food producers could have done- to market a food which is a poison.
generaljin

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:45 am
@roger,
Perhaps you are right, some point i cant understand, could you explain it for me? what's the meaning of "upholstered furniture"?
And other sentence i want to comfirm the real meaning. the last sentence of you reply,".......that the person makeing the statement gets his information from mainland China news sources. " are you want to say that the new in mainland china alwasy be glorified by gerverment , the news cant reflected the real condition. am i right?
and last problem, are you a real american people? you know what i mean. because as i know in this time , USA should be in midnight, but you always can reply my topic so quickly. so i am very surprise!
McTag

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:54 am
@generaljin,

I am in UK now, but have recently spent 3 weeks in America, where the problem is well known, and widely discussed in the news media.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:56 am
By adding melamine to foods, the Chinese manufacturers were knowingly attempting to bolster the "apparent protein" content of their pet foods, and some human foods. Melamine is NOT a nutrrient, because its got so much nitrogen in the molecule, it shows up in any protein test as "fake protein"
To put it in pet foods and baby formula is unconscionable, its a criminal act and must be sought out and punished.
We in the US watch these things carefully and many people now dont buy anything made in China if they can. I look at labels carefully and try to assess whether the goods can possibly contain any dngerous chemical or substance, and what are the consequences.

Last year I bought some wicker pieces for the porch and found out that even these contained led paint.

The US government should upgrade its testing of all imported goods in order to protect ourselves from these dangerous items, and the Chinese govt needs to crack down on the criminals who make this stuff.
0 Replies

generaljin

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:58 am
@McTag,
i cant agree with your opinion,McTag. you said the Milk was deliberately mixed with a chemical by person. can you tell me why does the person do this? what profits chould they got if they do it. In fact Chinese milk market has fall to the bottom. Nobody drink milk these todays. So i think it's wrong that you said this matter is deliberated
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:41 am
@generaljin,
If you wish to artificially increase the protein measurements of foods, one can add melamine. Thats what they did because melamine has no business in the food chain and Im not aware of any food process that has cyanide or melamine in its process other than distilling nuts (and there they drive the cyanide off by drying).

Melamine is an industrila chemical used in many things BUT NOT FOODS. So, IMHO, it was deliberately and criminally added to foods by unscrupulous manufacturers. You in China better straighten this out if you wish to continue selling goods to the world. Your government had better get serious and prosecute these criminals to the extent of the law and send a message to other manufacturers that quality control needs to be number 1.

Chinese goods still have a reputation for being "less than high quality". I just replaced some wheels in my one Ford truck. The wheel hubs were made in China and just rusted away after 3 years. In all my trucks Ive had to reinstall several parts that were Chinese cast and to be replaced with more expensive but much better US cast parts.
generaljin

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:03 am
@farmerman,
that's really a helpful suggestion! we should do more .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 01:17 am
@generaljin,
Quote:
i cant agree with your opinion,McTag. you said the Milk was deliberately mixed with a chemical by person. can you tell me why does the person do this? what profits chould they got if they do it. In fact Chinese milk market has fall to the bottom. Nobody drink milk these todays. So i think it's wrong that you said this matter is deliberated

The answer to that is contained in Farmerman's post previously.
The melanin was added to mask the fact that the milk had insufficient protein.
It was done for profit.
If no-one is drinking milk in China now, is it any wonder?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:43 am
@generaljin,
Americans are afraid of Chinese milk and many Chinese products. We believe the Chinese government and companies are more concerned with making making than making a good product. Many Americans try not to buy Chinese products because we feel they are not safe. However, it is difficult to avoid things from China totally because goods are not always labeled with their country of origin. Some Americans buy Chinese goods because they want things that are cheap and they do not care about quality.

People in my family recently went to China and complained that the country is very dirty and polluted because of industrialization. They said the government allows companies to do whatever they want so long as they make money. My family saw many sick people who got that way from the bad air and water.
mismi

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:45 am
@Green Witch,
My cousin lives in Mongolia - they had to throw out their milk. I am not sure what they are doing -even if there are other brands available. I certainly have no faith in products made in China. Once again, it seems the government cares less about its people than it does money and power. So depressing.
generaljin

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:47 am
@Green Witch,
ho,i god, today i really really know the American's impression of China.But you know China just held 2008 Olympic games on Aug.8.So if China's condition like water ,air are so bad like your mention, Why i find out a lot of glorified arts in CNN website. So according to your state, The sky in USA is blue , The water in USA is clear and the air in USA is clean. is it right?
0 Replies

generaljin

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:49 am
@mismi,
dear mismi, Mongolia is more poor than China. Our GDP is more higher than that country though Genghis khan had been our country' king.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:59 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
We believe the Chinese government and companies are more concerned with making making than making a good product.

The Chinese government is trying to crack down on shady businessmen, they hurt the whole Chinese economy by making folks like you think that. The notion that the Chinese government wants to allow this is silly. These things don't help China, they just help the shady business while they can get away with it.

China's government is guilty of not regulating enough, but the notion that they want to allow this is absurd.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:32 pm
I try to avoid Chinese made products when it comes to my baby. It is really really hard.

Sorry, but one too many toys recalled means I ain't buyin'.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:59 pm
@Bella Dea,
That's fine and all, I'm just saying that the Chinese government would love to be able to stop all of this and that they aren't complicit. This hurts China's economy and they are trying to fight it.

China cracks down on milk producers

Quote:
China's dairy industry suffers from chaotic production and lax oversight, the government said on Monday as it announced toughened rules following the tainted milk scandal.

The government meeting, presided over by Premier Wen Jiabao, blamed lawless individuals and businesses for the country's latest food safety scandal, but also said the scandal exposed deeper problems.

"At the same time, this has exposed chaos in our country's dairy product production and distribution and serious shortcomings in oversight and administration," stated the official summary of the meeting.

The government is "determined to take in hand every link in inspection and administration from the field to the dinner table, so that the reputation of our country's food sector is restored and consumer confidence is enhanced," it said.

China cracks down on toy factories

Quote:
More than 700 toy factories in booming southern China have been banned from exporting as part of a crackdown on shoddy products, the government said Thursday.

The four-month-long crackdown was triggered by widespread reports of dangerous or faulty Chinese exports, including toys tainted with lead, toothpaste laden with an antifreeze ingredient, and pet food fortified with an industrial chemical.

The Guangdong provincial government said the export bans followed inspections of 1,726 toy factories, almost 85 percent of the province's total.

Of those, 764 had their export licenses revoked or suspended "because of various quality problems," it said in a statement posted Thursday on its official Web site. Another 690 were ordered to renovate their plants and improve product quality, it said.

The government says it also has sponsored quality control training for more than 1,000 people in the country's toy industry in an effort to ensure export safety.

They aren't going to solve this problem overnight, this is deeply rooted in Chinese culture and their middle class needs to grow a lot more before cheapness becomes less of the driving factor but the government recognizes the damage this does to their reputation and the impact it has on their economy and is trying to crack down on it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 01:19 pm
@generaljin,
generaljin wrote:
hi,roger, that you means the us people always avoid the products which made in China?

Most people in the US say they want to avoid Chinese products. In practice they tend to do less than they talk about though.

Quote:
why ? is it bad quality or other problems?

Mostly it's due to economic concerns, just like you want people to buy Chinese products Americans want people to buy American products. China's growing manufacturing industry is seen by some as a threat to American jobs.

But when people actually avoid the products in practice, it's usually due to the bad reputation China now has in terms of quality.

Quote:
As i know, the export goods in china is always the best .

You might mean the best national product. That's true almost anywhere. The export grade products are usually kept to higher standards.

But China simply does not have the best quality control worldwide. China is a developing country and like many developing countries there are shortcuts being taken and China has a bad reputation in quality for a reason.

Yes some of this is fueled by sinophobia but most of it comes down to a developing manufacturing industry. Japan used to have this reputation as well, but they overcame this reputation through quality.

Eventually Japanese products became associated with quality, and even though there were xenophobic concerns with Japanese businesses (in the 90's Americans were afraid of the booming Japanese economy and many were claiming they were "buying up America") they were no longer centered on product quality.

More recently South Korea has undergone a similar transition and are now producing some of the best products in the world.

China will need to keep fighting bad quality and corruption, but the growing economy is going to fix a lot of the problems on its own. When there are enough middle class Chinese there will be a more discriminating customer base and cheap, low-quality products will become less common.
0 Replies