Climate change in the back garden

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 01:45 am
Gardens under threat in the global greenhouse

"How many kinds of sweet flowers grow in an English country garden?" asks The Guradian today. Not many now is the answer.

"Some of the best-loved features of UK gardens are under threat because of the impact of climate change", states The Scotsman.

And the BBC sees a "Climate threat to English gardens".

All media are referring to a study of The Royal Horticultural Society:
"The study has been commissioned at a time when the vulnerability of gardens to the vagaries of the weather is becoming increasingly apparent. The impact of climate change is likely to lead to more:

Reduced frosts
Earlier spring
Higher average temperatures all year round
Increased winter rainfall, leading to risk from flooding
Hotter, drier summers, increasing risk of drought
"

Article "Royal Horticulture Society"

Some related press articles
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,799 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:05 am
Walter, do you think that global warming is definitely caused by humans? I used to think so, but now I'm beginning to doubt it. My son has been studying this and now takes the contrary view, or rather, the view that we don't know. He was quoting the IPCC who apparently say they cannot tell. There's also some theory coming from New South Wales that we might not really be getting warmer at all, but colder in the long run. And there's that theory about how with only a couple of bad winters would plunge us into an ice age.

Frightening scenarios, no matter what. We have such a tenuous hold on the crust of this planet.
0 Replies