Can plants hear?

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:15 pm
I have plants that like to be touched. I have plants that 'reach' for me if I am reading nearby--presumably drawn to my body heat? I don't know. I have heard that plants like to be talked to. I haven't been able to muster up the motivation to do that, so I sing to mine. If plants do respond to such, would that be a form of hearing?

People bring me sick plants for intensive care. I don't know a whole lot. but plants do seem to like me and most respond to my care which is more intuitive rather than based on any science. So do most animals. Sometimes even people.
RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:43 pm
Sound is the radio spectrum of light. Plants react to light thus they react to sound. So whoever put the "insanity" tag on this thread look who the idiot is? Did you know your inner ear can get a sunburn from listening to your headphones too loud?

Plants can sense radio waves... This is science not insanity.

Whoever typed the insanity tag on this thread I hope you enjoy your own idiocy and IGNORANCE!

QUOTE "A plant can perceive a larger area of the light spectrum than we can."

So much for human arrogance!

Sound waves are just a different frequency of light waves. The person who posted the "insanity" tag on this thread I guess does NOT know that sound is a form of light...

This forum sucks because we can't edit the rude spam tags from ASSHOLES maliciously directed at out own heartfelt words. Yes assholes rule and run rampant on a2k... Then our words and posts are locked as if the moment after we write them they are not our own property any longer. I will go back to my space where my threads are MY OWN and if i want to delete comments AND THREADS and rotten jealous vicious tags I can do so. They understand that a writers words belong to THEM ALONE. I only need to come here and post a few words to remember how bad this site really sucks.

http://www.hesi.nl/pages/artikel-22-eng.pdf
rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 08:50 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I have plants that like to be touched. I have plants that 'reach' for me if I am reading nearby

Good god. How does the world survive.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 08:55 pm
And I see "User Ignored" has reappeared after all these months. How nice.
RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:04 pm
@rosborne979,
Not me, no one is on my ignore list... isn't that civilized of me?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:06 pm
@actionbuddylee,
actionbuddylee wrote:

I don't know where you get your information, maybe try a school that actually teaches a decent botany class. Plants are equipped with neuronal molecules. Specifically synaptotagmins and glutamate/glycine-gated glutamate receptors located in the root system. This allows the plant to react to its enviroment, remember, adapt and even communicate with other plants through chemical signaling.

None of which are "nerve cells, neurons or memory cells".

You're playing fast and loose with your terminology. Just what are you implying with your post? Plants are filled with complex chemical systems, but that doesn't mean they have animal sensory systems or perceptions. Venus Flytraps open/close not through muscle action, but through rapid cell growth in the hinges of the trap. Plants do amazing things, but they do not think and feel and hear and see in any way similar to animals. The basic sensory systems just aren't there.

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:11 pm
@RexRed,
you can vote down my words assholes but it won't change the fact that i am elsewhere posting my words other than on this forum... a2k where jerks rule and leave their spam on posts. Other sites have the decorum to let artists edit their own tags... a2k is destined to die with the dodo because the programmers insist on insulting their worthy patrons with their hounds from the gutter. There are other forum choices on the net. Just consider, where I have been posting my words for the last few months. Errrr. not here.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:18 pm
@rosborne979,
Ros in all respect, and I do respect you... (always have) what makes human thought possible? Well our brain uses atoms to store info, the same exact atoms that reside in plants... ...again only human arrogance stands between ignorance and reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bt9xBuGWgw

and birds don't dance. (cynical)

Smile

and 1 2 3...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:50 pm
Ros it seems some asshole (sanctioned by a2k) has been leaving the "insanity" tag on your posts too. Would be a pity for a2k to lose you and your wealth of insight... but that seems to be the case. a2k where hit and run tags rule. Where moderators look the other way. Where all that matters is that nice people are being insulted REAL GOOD.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 10:27 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Rex - you could always move to Switzerland; there is a movement for "plant rights"
http://www.ekah.admin.ch/uploads/media/e-Broschure-Wurde-Pflanze-2008.pdf

After reading it I decided I can still give apples and carrots to horses (and eat them myself) but I must first ponder their intrinsic worth - some kind of Grace, far as I could figure out. Some neo-spiritual view of sorts. Read it and let me know.

I was once working for an Episcopal Diocese and happened to be the one manning the front desk when a lady came in. She was expressionless--deadpan--not unattracive despite no makeup, rather unkempt long hair, a battered floppy sunhat, long sleeved man's shirt and I think jeans. She very thoroughly explained to me how it was against God's will to destroy any living thing including plants which also had feelings and souls. We could not consume eggs, but we could consume milk, nuts, fruit, and seeds. Her mission in life was to tell people God's will about such things.

I tried to be gentle and I asked her the distinction between an egg and a seed. She had an explanation but I forget what it was. This was many years ago.

I offered her water and a cheese sandwich. She declined and left and I never saw her again.

Very strange and no idea who she was or what she was about. The memory has remained with me however.

Intellectually I don't think plants can hear or feel or have any such sensory perceptions such as pain. Nevertheless, I feel compassion for a plant in distress and my first instinct is to tend to its needs and/or heal it and my spirits are lifted when it responds. I can't explain that.
RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 12:31 am
@Foxfyre,
I have terrible back pain. It hurts right about where my invisible angel wings connect. I am sure my mother, on the other side, is encouraging me to... "fly"...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 06:32 am
potted plants.
RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:08 am
@dyslexia,
potted plants have souls too. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:11 am
@Foxfyre,
we are all part of the food chain at god's banquet. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:32 am
@dyslexia,
"dys", a2k's sleaziest member... the culprit who drives good people away and keeps the tone of this forum always hateful. Take a bow dys and consider the question, is your own soul valueless? As valueless as your hateful tags and your worthless existence. What kind of low life hates John Denver?
djjd62

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:38 am
@RexRed,
obsess much

you got to learn to let go dude, water off a ducks back as they say
RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:10 am
@djjd62,
I see, wear it (the dunce cap) with pride... appease these idiots and after a while i won't even notice I am wearing it. (cynical)
dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:23 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

"dys", a2k's sleaziest member... the culprit who drives good people away and keeps the tone of this forum always hateful. Take a bow dys and consider the question, is your own soul valueless? As valueless as your hateful tags and your worthless existence. What kind of low life hates John Denver?
Sobriety not your strong suit Mr Red?
RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:42 am
@dyslexia,
if you can't win an argument attack someone's character... what's next, "tiny penis" tags? low low low
dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:44 am
@RexRed,
there's an argument to win or lose? what is it Mr Red? I'd enjoy participating.
0 Replies