anatomy of a tree

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:24 am
guys please help, what happens to the anatomy of a growing tree when it is strapped with wire around the trunk while the tree is growing ,will the wire influence the survival of the tree or not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,866 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 04:34 am
@octavia sarilla,
Many trees simply grow around objects like that, but it probably depends on the type of tree. At the very least I think we could say that it would not help the tree. But it might not kill it.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 12:05 pm
@octavia sarilla,
Of course it will influence it.
Likely weaken or kill it too.
Don't do that to trees, please.
0 Replies

ArborGuy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 01:32 pm
@octavia sarilla,
When something restricts a tree as you described, it's referred to as girdling and can have significant effects on overall tree health. Girdling tends to harm and in many cases, kill trees by damaging the vascular cambium and restricting the translocation of photosynthates in secondary phloem.

In less severe cases, the tree may simply grow around the foreign object and may show little to no signs of deformation or reduction in overall health.
0 Replies

olasgideon

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 11:54 am
@octavia sarilla,
Well, In as much the two lateral meristem, the vascular and cork cambium which are responsible for the secondary growth (i.e thickening/increase in girth) of the wood and inner bark and outer bark respectively are not damaged by cutting, the tree will eventually overcome the wire stress with time and the wire may cut away.
0 Replies