Where are our manners? 8 easy steps to get them back

NickFun

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:48 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I usually say "excuse me" after I fart at the dinner table.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:06 pm
@NickFun,
Bad move, Nick. If that happens at the dinner table, what you do is look at the person sitting next to you with a look of shock on your face. Works every time.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:18 am
True story. We have a dear friend who I believe is probably related to a couple of people here on A2K. He had just gotten off work and his bus wasn't due for a half hour or so, so he went into the neighborhood bar for a beer. He was standing at the bar next to a very well dressed woman when he unexpectedly let one really rip. So what does he do? He turns to the woman and and says, "My God, Lady!" The poor thing left without ordering her drink.

I do not recommend this as good manners.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:33 am
@Foxfyre,
Yes Foxy... that behavior is not about manners. Your friend in this story was an extreme form of discourteous.

That being said... don't you think the "poor thing", an adult woman (old enough to drink) overreacted a bit?

If that happened to me, I would have ignored it unless I could have thought of a crass enough riposte. At most I would have given an obscene gesture and then forgotten about it. It certainly wouldn't have ruined my drink.

Maybe part of the problem is that people are too sensitive.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:16 pm
@Merry Andrew,
In Saudi Arabia belching and farting at the dinner table are considered EXCELLENT manners. A compliment to the chef.
0 Replies