USA making Britons too fat !!!

Wilso

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:42 pm
Clean for six years, five months, 9 days.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:44 pm
Smile We sometimes go to a restuarant that charge approx. $12 for main course, we don't take starters, if we did we would be leaving some of our main meal. Only if we feel like it we may order a dessert. I am saying the main meal is so large that we are unable to take anything else.
This is Sunday dinner.

Like msolga I am sickened to see food carried away that will probably be
dumped. Sad

You are doing well Wilso, I wish you much luck.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:45 pm
Beer won't make anyone fat, it has no fat and is fairly low in carbs and calories. What makes beer drinkers fat is all the pizza and salty, fatty snacks they are washing down with the beer while they sit on the couch.

I've never eaten in Britain but the impression I've always had had been lots of sausages and potatoes and white bread spread thickly with butter. Tea with butter sandwiches. Heavy, warm (yuck) beer. Of course, Jamie Oliver has greatly changed that impression. One time, however, he went to buy a chicken and went into this little shop and they had all the plucked chickens sitting out on the wood counter. No refridgeration. Didn't make me want to travel to Britain to sample the food anytime soon.

Can you spell salmonellla?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:49 pm
I always eat leftovers. I cook more than we can eat then I bring the extra in to work the next day. There's a little chinese fast food takeout down the street and the three item to go is enough for two meals. I eat half one day and the other the next, and it's less than $3/day.

Then, there are the uppity ups. Place in Michigan I love called Tapawingo, figure about $100/person with wine, you won't walk away hungry, but you won't walk away with a doggy bag either.

Tapawingo
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:57 pm
Smile cjhsa, I eat lots of leftovers, so much that it sometimes makes my wife
scquirm.In the restuarant I usually bring home any large steak leftovers.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 09:07 am
When I was a kid, we ate some sort of breakfast, usually cold cereal or toast on school mornings, with bacon, eggs and toast on Sat. Our school lunches consisted of a sandwich, a piece of fruit, cookies and milk. My mother almost always served mashed potatoes, meat and vegetable. She generally put a chunk of cheese on the table. When I was about 10 or so, we started eating salads as a veggie choice. We always had desserts. When I went for my college physical, I was 5'3" tall and weighed 106.

Eating in that way today would be frowned upon. Too much sugar and too many mashed potatoes!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 09:34 am
Like someone already mentioned - there's no-one holding a gun to these peoples' heads and forcing them to eat the full portions, is there?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:19 am
cjhsa makes a good point regarding beer. It really isn't going to make anyone fat. Recent studies have also shown that beer contains way more anti-oxidants than red wine even.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001218073252.htm

The Tapawingo menu sound very nice indeed. I will be eternally indebted to Michael Stadtlander, for allowing me to apprentice with him, back in the days. He doesn't have an official website, but the word has indeed spread:

http://www.collingwoodnow.com/news_03/eigensinn_110903/index.htm

http://www.collingwoodnow.com/news_02/stadtlander/index.htm
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:33 am
However another thing to mention is that we don't move around enough to work off all the food we eat. Many people work hard but lots are in an office setting that can be sedentiary. With almost every adult having a vehicle of some sort, it is unusual for folks to walk or cycle to places like they used to. Why people even jump in the car to go to the store for milk and sundry groceries, even if the store is less than a mile away. I know lots of people go to gyms and schedule time to walk and stuff but before we had to think about exercising it was natural to walk to get to places. I think our increased dependency on conveniences make us a tad more lazy and so we don't 'work off' all those large portions. More and more stress at work also leads to more demands on our time in that we are forced to cut corners, shovel down food while thinking about the list of things you have to get done.

Time, time, time ... we are all trying to cram in as much as we possibly can that we are neglecting our physical health and one day, time will run out ...
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 11:45 am
Smile oldandknew you are a very lucky person who can eat what he wants and not get fat. I love my food, not in a greedy kind of way, but I have to be dead careful or I would be like a tank. I'm always telling my wife I'd rather have less that too much and you know what wives are like about feeding the hubby, "he's bound to be starving" (hungry) :wink:

Heeven, you got it right, we are all too inactive, me anyway. Exclamation
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:23 pm
It's strange, when I get stressed with work, I DON'T eat, which is equally bad. For one, the body goes into protection mode and hangs on to fat, and eventually I get woozy and feel the need to binge, usually the next day. However, most of the time I eat shmul tings (my great great grandfather's term) often in the day. Better than three square meals as it keeps the metabolism up and doesn't make you tired.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:34 pm
Collingwood, on the banks of the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron. Sounds like a beautiful, if out of the way spot, there Cav.

It would be fun to drive that loop someday, cross into Canada from Port Huron, then up along the coast on 21, a stop at Collingwood, then 69 up to 17 and back to the Sault, then down across Big Mac to Little Traverse Bay (where we go in summer).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:36 pm
Book several months in advance, and I think it's something like $225-250 CDN per person, but you can bring your own wine. He's on a farm, not near the water, but it's an experience, let me tell you. Technically, he's in Singhampton, near Collingwood, so, yes, rural and secluded, and a destination.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 10:45 am
The Naked Chef is conducting a campaign to improve school lunches in Britain.

Just as in the USA, corporations are ruining the health of youngsters by convincing schools the best way to feed kids in the least expensive. School lunches are now cheaper than prison lunches.

He showed footage of kids taking cold burger patties out of steel bins with their fingers. Ugh!

Jamie (what is his last name?) wants to return to having lunches prepared using local food by local women and cooked fresh daily. Suggests lunches made of simple, oven-baked chicken pieces, accompanied by a roll and a piece of fruit. Not gourmet, but healthy, nuitritious, lower in calories and fresh.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 07:39 pm
Oliver.

(we miss you Cav).
0 Replies