A2K Fantasy Hockey

Rockhead

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
You got a Niedermayer and a O'Brien.

Yer off to a good start, as near as the cat can tell...

(Oh ****, you got Manny Fernandez, He is a verra famous Miami Dolphin duude.)

All hail rjb...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:34 pm
Okay. So I am gonna be standing around the water bucket on Monday, out in a muddy construction site. And these yankees are going to be talking hockey.
I look at the Rappin Rednecks team. I know nothing, of course, about these guys. My first hurdle to get over is that some of them are listed as LW, RW, C, D and G. How many players are on the ice at one time and what do they do?
Am I the stupidist participant here? Could be.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
Stupidist participant here? I'm still analyzing chest hair.

I'm presuming though that any that aren't on the bench or on injured reserve are on the ice. Plus the goalie of course. I KNOW what his job is. The only thing is very few of my guys seem to have any opponents? I had to move one of the guys to injured reserve and didn't have a bench guy to replace him. So you have to fire a bench guy in order to draft somebody.

It's all very confusing. (And fascinating.)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 09:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Am I the stupidist participant here? Could be.

Warning!
RJB always plays the fool.
We get fooled, he wins the championships.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:19 pm
@fbaezer,
Hmmm.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 07:48 am
Ah, so that's the strategy.

Okay I think I've run out of guys whose names I kinda sorta recognize, and will soon be onto guys with names that remind me of ex-boyfriends. So, are there any players named You're an Idiot?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 08:06 am
Last night I participated, well, try to participate, in the live draft. I made a fairly decent mistake. I assumed that if one is present, to participate in a live draft, that the person has to actually click on a player from their pre-draft rankings list, which sends that player to the draft player box. Then, click on the "draft player" button to obtain that player.
After I drafted my first player, the clock kept on ticking, but, the screen showed nobody else, on any teams, being drafted. After being guided to refresh screen, the new screen showed we were into the seventh round.The screen continued to freeze, until the draft was over. I initially thought it was my server.
My mistake. Since I was under the assumption that we actually clicked for each player, I customized my pre-draft ranking list as a reference sheet. Not as a draft selection order.
So, I think what happen is that since the computer picks for you and once I clicked on a player to draft, it froze up.
After all that, I still have a decent team. No excuses.

Tico. Who do you want for Zettenburg?
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 10:33 am
hey, jp ---

Can you explain the scoring and how it will work? Here's what's listed on the league settings:

Skating
Goals (G)
Assists (A)
Plus/minus (+/-) (what's this?)
Penalty Minutes (PIM) (I assume lowest wins and/or all those with zeros will tie?)
Power Play Goals (PPG)
Short Handed Goals (SHG)
Average Time on Ice (ATOI)
Hat Tricks (HAT)
Shots on goal (SOG)
Blocked Shots (BLK)

Goaltending
Wins (W)
Shutouts (SO)
Goals Against Average (GAA)
Save Percentage (SV%)

So... there will be 14 total wins in the league each week. Is that right?
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 10:36 am
@JPB,
trying to answer my own question... I found this:

Quote:
Rotisserie: Rotisserie, or "roto," is the most common way to play fantasy hockey. In this scoring type teams are ranked from first to last in each statistical category. Points are then awarded according to the order in each category and totaled to determine an overall score and league rank.
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 03:44 pm
@JPB,
I found an explanation about the +/- stat so I'm kewl there.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 03:50 pm
We seem to be verra strong in goal, and are the trauma unit for center forwards...

(dusting off my knowledge of other than fights, our local minor league team was kinda infamous)
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 04:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Pls pick in the A2K NFL thingee, RH. Thanks.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 04:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
okay...

Alex, you need a goalie, and I need a defender.

(i'll go look at football for a minute)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:43 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
(dusting off my knowledge of other than fights, our local minor league team was kinda infamous)

The "Wind"? Laughing

I'd forgotten about them.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:44 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I found an explanation about the +/- stat so I'm kewl there.

What's the explanation?

As far as penalty minutes, I think highest wins, actually.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:48 pm
@alex240101,
alex240101 wrote:
Tico. Who do you want for Zettenburg?

Well, all I know about Zettenburg is he's my highest rated player, taken pick number 7 overall, and he's the 3rd highest rated skater in the league.

Not sure it would be smart to trade him at this juncture. But I'm always interested in trade offers ....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
The "Thunder"

(penalty minute kings...)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:14 am
@Ticomaya,
+/- is based on who is on the ice when a goal is scored. Players that are on the ice are scored +1 when their team scores a goal. Players on the ice are scored -1 when a goal is scored against them. This is useful for evaluating a teams defense since technically there are only 2 "defensmen" on the ice at any time but in reality all players are involved in defensive play.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:22 am
@JPB,
Honestly JPB... I don't remember setting scoring for PIM or Time on ice...

I think the Time on ice is a pretty stupid category to be scored in and Idon't know how it got in there. PIM I believe are scored as highest amount wins. Penalties are a bit different in Hockey and not necessarily such a bad thing. While it isn't used quite as much these days, in the past teams would have an "enforcer" on their team which isn't an official position but use effectively would be put in just to start fights and disrupt the play of the other team. These players are rather fond of their PIM totals. If you want to see some enforcers in action, go to You Tube and search for Tomi Vs Probert

On a side not, I can still change scoring. Should I get rid of Average Time On Ice and Penalty Minutes????
JPB

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
@jpinMilwaukee,
Hell no! Not when I had two guys with 30 mins each yesterday Razz

+/- is only used for short-handed or even team goals. In other words, you don't get a + for a power play goal but you would if it was a short-handed goal or even teams.
0 Replies