Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 03:40 pm
i want to know how to get rid of yellow jacket stings... im only 10 and it really hurts and my mom dpesnt know what ammonia is so plz help
thank u
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,217 • Replies: 10

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 03:47 pm
@mango1001,
mango1001 wrote:

i want to know how to get rid of yellow jacket stings... im only 10 and it really hurts and my mom dpesnt know what ammonia is so plz help
thank u

Call you local POISON CONTROL office. Should be listed in the YELLOW PAGES as an 800 number.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:08 pm
@Miller,
The number is 1-800-222-1222.

They can help you figure out what to do.

That is a US number - not sure where you are, mango.

In the meantime, I'm guessing not all yellow jacket stings are dangerous - perhaps only if one is allergic.

Here's wikipedia on the subject --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:19 pm
This is a very good reason why I believe in universal health care for all children (and Americans).
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:21 pm
@mango1001,
mango1001 wrote:

thank u
The old school way is to pack some mud on it. Water and dirt make mud, so I'm sure you have some.
Roberta

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:23 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
When I was stung by a yellow jacket, I called poison control. They told me to put meat tenderizer on it. "Adolf's Meat Tenderizer." It worked! Gave me instant relief.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
@Roberta,
I've heard that works best for all kinds of stings (assuming you're not allergic), and second your suggestion readily.

I suggested Mud, knowing any 10 year old could make it themselves, independent of what's in their cupboard.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:29 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Don't be so sure about mud... I live surrounded by sand. Wetted clay would probably also work, but I think that's why mud does.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:33 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Don't be so sure about mud... I live surrounded by sand. Wetted clay would probably also work, but I think that's why mud does.
Point taken, but surely you have a plant or something nearby with some dirt in it. Truth be told, I have no idea what soils work best... but do remember slapping some mud out of a puddle on a sting when I was a small child... and it was a VERY welcome sensation.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
No, I don't, it IS all sand. Pretty amazing. And I'm trying to plant natives.. if there's any soil in the original pots, it's some mostly non soil stuff.

We don't know where Mango lives.
I was guessing something like a facial mask might work, as they have clay in them, same as good mud.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
But of course, facial masks are usually luxe items. And so might be meat tenderizer. There may be poltices I'm not familiar with..

All I'm really worried about is allergy - my mother had that, and contact with a doctor is important in that case.
0 Replies