Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 08:02 am
Paul Newman died this morning after a long battle with cancer, he was 83 yrs old.

firefly

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 08:21 am
@dyslexia,
Newman's Own Foundation Celebrates the Life and Legacy of Paul Newman
(January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008)

WESTPORT, Conn., Sept 27, 2008 /

Newman's Own Foundation has issued a statement.
The statement, from Vice-Chairman Robert Forrester, follows:

"Paul Newman's craft was acting. His passion was racing. His love was his family and friends. And his heart and soul were dedicated to helping make the world a better place for all.
"Paul had an abiding belief in the role that luck plays in one's life, and its randomness. He was quick to acknowledge the good fortune he had in his own life, beginning with being born in America, and was acutely aware of how unlucky so many others were. True to his character, he quietly devoted himself to helping offset this imbalance.
"An exceptional example is the legacy of Newman's Own. What started as something of a joke in the basement of his home, turned into a highly-respected, multi-million dollar a year food company. And true to form, he shared this good fortune by donating all the profits and royalties he earned to thousands of charities around the world, a total which now exceeds $250 million.
"While his philanthropic interests and donations were wide-ranging, he was especially committed to the thousands of children with life-threatening conditions served by the Hole in the Wall Camps, which he helped start over 20 years ago. He saw the Camps as places where kids could escape the fear, pain and isolation of their conditions, kick back, and raise a little hell. Today, there are 11 Camps around the world, with additional programs in Africa and Vietnam. Through the Camps, well over 135,000 children have had the chance to experience what childhood was meant to be.
"In Paul's words: "I wanted to acknowledge luck; the chance and benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others, who might not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it."
"Paul took advantage of what life offered him, and while personally reluctant to acknowledge that he was doing anything special, he forever changed the lives of many with his generosity, humor, and humanness. His legacy lives on in the charities he supported and the Hole in the Wall Camps, for which he cared so much.
"We will miss our friend Paul Newman, but are lucky ourselves to have known such a remarkable person."

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

Truly a remarkable man.

http://entertainment.trendworkz.com/photos/a65535e5ad68d8c5578113cd69565402
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 08:51 am
@dyslexia,
What a life.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:35 am
@dyslexia,
An end of an era. He was one of a kind.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:50 am
Awwwww.

He was a class act.

Just right now, right here in this room, Mo is watching "Cars". Newman did the voice of Doc Hudson. How sad to read this while hearing his voice on TV.

I'm going to have to call my mom today. She truly adored Paul Newman.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:09 am
@boomerang,
i felt the same way about steve mcqueen.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:30 am
@dyslexia,
Goodnight, Paul.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:33 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Awwwww.
I'm going to have to call my mom today. She truly adored Paul Newman.

I figure that my mother is up there in Heaven this morning hanging out around the pearly gates just waiting on him. Smile

This one put a little mist in my eye too. Usually when these old icons pass, you think back over their tremendous lives and there's just nothing to be sad about. But Paul Newman was such a major personality and I'd imagine alot of our older girlfriends have probably taken to their beds today with a box of tissue and the remote control.

Oh...Brick...
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:39 am
He certainly was a class act, and he showed Hollywood that it was possible -
even for a male sex symbol of his time - to stay faithful to his wife. He said "Why should I go out for hamburgers when I have steak at home?"

His tremendous impact on charity was never that much publicized until now.
These days people get famous for outrageous behavior only - sad times.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:42 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

I figure that my mother is up there in Heaven this morning hanging out around the pearly gates just waiting on him. Smile

Awww, that's a nice thought to have, eoe. Made me smile. Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:21 am
really good piece on him:
http://www.slate.com/id/2201116/
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 12:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Loved this man...love his wife...he will be missed.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
Road to Perdition, with Tom Hanks, was the last film I saw Newman in. I marvelled at how well he appeared, still acting well. At the time, I don't know if he had yet begun his treatment.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:19 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

Loved this man...love his wife...he will be missed.

Ditto... class acts, both of them. Not to mention great actors.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:23 pm
@dyslexia,
Bummer. Dude was cool. Sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:28 pm
He had this bigass PREVOST Bus that he used to drive around to sports car races in the 80"s. It was outrageous, one of the first buses to sport exotic materials. Man knew how to kick back and enjoy life.
I dont remember a bad Newman movie. My favorite will always be "The Hustler"
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
Always have liked him and I'm sorry he's gone. On the other hand, his death was a show of grace again, at least from here.

I don't know much about Joanne in private life, but wish her peace.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
They had this in one of his obits--I can see why he loved the letter

Quote:
One of his most prized fan letters hung over a toilet in his New York office bathroom. After complimenting his spaghetti sauce, it went on to say, "My girlfriend mentioned that you were a movie star and I would be interested to know what you have made. If you act as well as you cook, your movies should be worth watching."

I guess that kept him feeling humble. Smile

Just a great guy.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:12 am
The most beautiful man ever both in looks and deed.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 04:37 am
@dyslexia,
A few months agoI saw a picture of him shrivelled up in the cover of Enquirer, I believe. I knew he would be gone in a few months. It is kind of sad losing someone like him.