Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 10:56 am
@squinney,
Not buying these large companies out would result in getting credit being more difficult and more expensive - not just for the average joe, but companies as well. These companies cannot expand business, they don't have additional capital to build more widgets so they now don't need as many employees and lay people off - this affects all industries - nation-wide people are losing their jobs, they can't pay their mortgages, more people default on their homes and lose them, they can't buy food, health care, etc.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 10:57 am
@squinney,
What happens when you get laid off because your company has debt?
spendius

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:00 am
@Linkat,
You go on welfare until you find another job. Which puts up taxes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:00 am
@JPB,
and that is where we plan ours (if we sell our current place).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:05 am
@JPB,
Sure there's a simple answer. If any plan goes through with the support of only one party, it had darn well better work. Otherwise, that particular party is seriously screwed. What they need, then, is what they like to call bipartisan support.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:21 am
@roger,
amen to that!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:04 pm
http://www.overcompensating.com/

LOL

T
K
O
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What has this $700 billion being doing up to now?

Sitting as a giant roll of blank paper ready to be inked. That's the beauty of money that isn't back by anything -- you just click the print icon on the big printer in the sky.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@JPB,
That red button to the printing machine in the sky is just as dangerous as that red button to nukes, but they're both "nuclear" options.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:39 pm
Revel posted the Republican hold out proposal / principles on another thread.

I've copied them here for discussion and hopefully explanation:

Here's the bullet points directly from the House GOP plan:

Quote:
* Rather than providing taxpayer funded purchases of frozen mortgage assets, we should adopt a mortgage insurance approach to solve the problem.

* Currently the federal government insures approximately half of all mortgage backed securities. (MBS) We can insure the rest of current outstanding MBS; however, rather than taxpayers funding insurance, the holders of these assets should pay for it. Treasury Department can design a system to charge premiums to the holders of MBS to fully finance this insurance.

* Have Private Capital Injection to the Financial Markets, Not Tax Dollars. Instead of injecting taxpayer capital into the market to produce liquidity, private capital can be drawn into the market by removing regulatory and tax barriers that are currently blocking private capital formation. Too much private capital is sitting on the sidelines during this crisis.

* Temporary tax relief provisions can help companies free up capital to maintain operations, create jobs, and lend to one another. In addition, we should allow for a temporary suspension of dividend payments by financial institutions and other regulatory measures to address the problems surrounding private capital liquidity.

*Immediate Transparency, Oversight, and Market Reform. Require participating firms to disclose to Treasury the value of their mortgage assets on their books, the value of any private bids within the last year for such assets, and their last audit report.

* Wall Street Executives should not benefit from taxpayer funding. Call on the SEC to review the performance of the Credit Rating Agencies and their ability to accurately reflect the risks of these failed investment securities.

*Create a blue ribbon panel with representatives of Treasury, SEC, and the Fed to make recommendations to Congress for reforms of the financial sector by January 1, 2009.

Can someone explain if this is even anywhere near a good idea? All I see is that they are asking for more tax cuts and more deregulation for those that abused the system to begin with and then somewhere down the line we'll have a committee look at what they are doing.

Tryagain

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:41 pm
If I may mention that on the ‘Is U.S. income tax invalid? Thread the self proclaimed raconteur T.R.Yagain wrote on: Tue 22 Jan, 2008.

History shows us the mistakes of our ancestors, and as such can give us warning of what’s to come. I would therefore suggest that those of you with stocks bonds, shares etc should watch the stock market very careful this morning as I fear it is about to take a severe downturn.”

Those who laughed at me then are not laughing now!

Extract/…

World Economic Forum met is Switzerland to discuss over champagne and caviar, a report entitled; Global Risks (GR) 2008.

Prepared by Citigroup - which lost a cool $18 BILLION on sub-prime loans!

So who are these freekin financial wizards?

The 2007 GR report identified 23 core global risks. Within its 45 pages sub-prime mortgages didn’t get a look in. Nowhere did they mention they and other US banks had leant truck loads of dollars to people who had no way to repay after the low or nil interest rate expired.

Also there were; Merrill Lynch (who lost $19 BILLION), UBS (who lost $13 BILLION), Deutsche Bank (who lost $3BILLION), and Morgan Stanley (who lost $9 BILLION. /…

Spendy raised a good question, “What has this $700 billion being doing up to now?”

The answer is; it does not exist until the FED prints it, the Government borrows it and gives it back to the banks in exchange for the problem that caused the crisis in the first place!

Who are the FED. Have you ever wondered who the Federal Reserve owners are?

The first thing to understand is that even though the Fed’s name makes it sound like a government organization, it’s not.

Take a peek in your phone book. Instead of being listed in the government pages, the Federal Reserve is listed right next to another private corporation in the business section called Federal Express.

That’s right, the Fed is actually a private corporation run in secret by a few high level international bankers.

FEDERAL RESERVE OWNERS ARE THE BANKSTERS
Can we nail down who is in this little group of powerful Federal Reserve owners?

Here’s a look into who was involved in setting up the Federal Reserve in 1913.

Rothschild Banks of London and Berlin (Rothschild and world economy)
Lazard Brothers Bank of Paris
Israel Moses Sieff Banks of Italy
Warburg Bank of Hamburg, Germany and Amsterdam
Kuhn Loeb Bank of New York
Lehman Brothers Bank of New York
Goldman Sachs Bank of New York
Chase Manhattan Bank of New York (Controlled By the Rockefeller Family Tree)

"We have in this country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks. Some people think the Federal Reserve Banks are U.S. government institutions. They are private credit monopolies; domestic swindlers, rich and predatory money lenders which prey upon the people of the United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers.

The Federal Reserve banks are the agents of the foreign central banks. The truth is the Federal Reserve Board has usurped the Government of the United States by the arrogant credit monopoly which operates the Federal Reserve Board
.”

Congressman Louis T. McFadden, Chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee, addressed the House on June 10, 1932. 75 Congressional Record 12595-1260

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:43 pm
@Tryagain,
Tryagain, Good post; it shows the reality of why our country is in deep economic trouble today.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

This is what I truly agree with - if we let everything collaspe we are all screwed. Punish those that caused the problem.

The one other thing to remember - a "bailout" of say $700 billion or whatever the actual price tag is does not mean that the government owes this amount. They are buying the equity of these companies. If they get the price tag right - meaning they actually pay the amount this equity is worth - it could actually be a win-win situation. If these companies involved turn around as a result, the tax payers will actually earn money out of the deal - in other words if the value of this equity goes up, the government can turn around and sell the equity for more than the $700 billion and make money off the deal. If it goes down, then the government loses whatever the equity goes down by - unlikely to go to $0 so the actual cost will be less than the $700 b.

Why do you think Buffet bought so much equity of Merrill?

This is the part that most people aren't understanding and which our fearless leaders aren't explaining well at all. Perhaps it is because most don't really understand it themselves? Or are terrified the 'other party' (or its presidential candidate) will get credit? Or because they do in fact understand it and are not agreed on how it should be put together? Or they aren't content to focus on the single issue and are trying to include a bunch of other stuff? Or all of the above? Or . . . .? Or . . . .? Or. . . .?

(In other words, I agree with you that there is no advantage to letting the financial institutions collapse.)

For sure none of us are getting the whole skinny from the mainstream media who has a tough enough time getting the date right on their newscast or news story or whatever. So you read and read and read and try to piece it together as well as you can and hope to hell they know what they are doing.

So far as I can discern from newscasts, radio reports, and newspaper clips, the summary so far seems to be:

Harry Reid demanded that McCain come help with the deal.

When McCain announced he was going to help with the deal, Harry Reid told him he wasn't needed to help with the deal.

McCain went anyway amidst accusations of grandstanding for political advantage and assertions that a deal was essentially already finalized.

It turns out no deal was finalized at all--Republican leaders in House had had no input and had not been consulted on the deal. There was stuff on the table but almost no agreement on any kind of deal.

Meanwhile Obama who first magnanimously announced that he could walk and chew gum at the same time and didn't need to go to Washington to be a part of it all is summoned by the President and decides to go. His staff arms him with a copy of the House (not Senate) plan to study enroute and he goes into the initial meeting with the President, McCain, and other party leaders. When he interjects the House plan that disgrees strongly with the Senate plan, he triggers a food fight and the meeting dissolves without accomplishing much of anything.

Republican leaders don't like McCain much and were reluctant to make his input integral in the plan but McCain is the standard bearer for the party and they sort of have to let him have his say.

Meanwhile, the mostly left tilting mainstream media manages to sway public opinion that McCain overstepped his authority and he tanked in the polls. This may be why he changed his mind and decided to be at the debate tonight. I don't know. Nobody I've heard has speculated on that.

Obama again voted 'present' and announced it wasn't good to interject Presidential politics into the process and left town. He adivsed he works better on the phone than in person anyway.

So now we still don't have a plan, no clue what it might look like when we do, we are assured there will be one by Monday morning, the debate goes on, and the rank and file American is more angry at their government than I remember in my lifetime.

It gets curiouser and curiouser.
squinney

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:56 pm
@Foxfyre,
Where the heck did you get that version of events?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
The only thing curious is your interpretation of the events.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:01 pm
@squinney,
I put it in my post.
Quote:
So far as I can discern from newscasts, radio reports, and newspaper clips, the summary so far seems to be:

(I also included a disclaimer re the accuracy of the media.)

I have been reading and reading everything sort of credible I can get my hands on, spent hours last night and this morning watching various television talking heads elaborate on it all, and have had the radio on all day. Well I left out the part where the Democrats are trying to blame it all on McCain and the Republicans now, and are accepting no responsibility themselves whatsoever, but I thought that would have been superfluous.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:16 pm
@FreeDuck,
I agree freeduck - I do think some sort of "bailout" needs to be done, but done correctly it will help, not done correctly and it simply prolongs the pain.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:24 pm
@roger,
Quote:
What they need, then, is what they like to call bipartisan support.

You mean one party government?

Actually, the problem is structural. Deep seated. Too deep to deal with. The American dream was always an illusion. But great fun I must admit. I loved Milo Minderbinder and Dr Benway.

You should make "I Did It My Way" the national anthem.

From day one of my time on A2K and right up to now I have been astonished, gobsmacked even, at the value you place on the veracity of the assertion. I've been unable to figure out how you can possibly carry a proper conversation. I have known a couple of American men socially for short periods of time. They really were impossible to talk to. My sister emigrated to America at 21. When she came for a visit with her American husband it was sheer agony. There was nothing they weren't experts on which is what is to be expected when you have 100% faith in whatever bloody silly thing has just left your gob and which has a good chance of being at odds with another bloody silly thing you had bubbled yesterday. Or even five minutes ago.

The silly sod advised me to offload my gold-mining shares when gold was $320.

And it was all done with such pompous certainty and righteous self-satisfaction as to make a cat laugh. I had to put Yogi Bear videos on so that I could pretend to be tittering at that. I was persuaded with some difficulty to accept a tribute from them in the form of a dinner, as they called it, dinner here is at dinner-time, at a poshish restaurant. What an embrrassing evening that was. There was even something wrong with the way I had been served which had escaped my notice until this twat started fussing about it.

Didn't you get the war going on a raft of assertions?

Your post is as meaningless to me roger as if it was in Sanskrit. If somebody says a thing like that in my corner of the pub he gets stared at by 3 or 4 pairs of glazed eyes.

I've started economising. It's actually quite good fun. Watching telly with an overcoat on type of thing.

"Wintertime is coming, the windows are filled with frost
I went to tell everybody, but I could not get across.
Don't say I didn't warn you, when your train gets lost."

Just try to catch him sing that at Woodstock. Bonfires in the audience. Shamanistic. And It's All Over Now Baby Blue is real journalism.
JPB

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
@Tryagain,
Tryagain wrote:

If I may mention that on the ‘Is U.S. income tax invalid? Thread the self proclaimed raconteur T.R.Yagain wrote on: Tue 22 Jan, 2008.

History shows us the mistakes of our ancestors, and as such can give us warning of what’s to come. I would therefore suggest that those of you with stocks bonds, shares etc should watch the stock market very careful this morning as I fear it is about to take a severe downturn.”

Those who laughed at me then are not laughing now!

Well, sheesh -- the next time you have such an epiphany please post it on a thread I actually read!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:27 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Sitting as a giant roll of blank paper ready to be inked. That's the beauty of money that isn't back by anything -- you just click the print icon on the big printer in the sky.

Thanks. I wondered why everybody was a multi-millionaire in Zimbabwe.
0 Replies