Eight Food Myths Busted

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:05 am
8 Food Myths Busted!

Quote:
Certain foods can burn fat.
It's better to eat six mini meals than three squares.
Fresh fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than frozen ones.
Decaf coffee has no caffeine.
Margarine is better than butter.
Bananas are fattening.
Cravings are your body's way of telling you it needs something.
Cooking veggies destroys their vitamin content.

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:33 am
Hot foods chilli, pepper etc can raise metabolism thus burning fat.

No science to back it up though.

what about plinkton bro?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Certain foods can burn fat. -- 'course not
It's better to eat six mini meals than three squares. -- not in terms of calories consumed but it is better to keep your blood sugar on an even (even-er) keel as that helps to prevent uncontrolled eating and binging
Fresh fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than frozen ones. -- not in terms of vitamins but they do have less salt as salt is a part of the freezing process. However, salt is not totally absent as some of it comes through in the growing of plants.
Decaf coffee has no caffeine. -- minimal caffeine but there is some. For a truly caffeine-free hot drink, herbal tea or plain water or hot milk are probably best.
Margarine is better than butter. -- depends on your definition of "better". Less fat? Nope; it's virtually the same. Plus it depends on how it's made. Margarine can be made without cholesterol and even with plant phytols to help lower cholesterol. Butter, not so much.
Bananas are fattening. -- definitely not but they do have some fat that other fruits don't have. But it's minimal, about a gram per banana. Don't give up bananas in favor of cupcakes and think you're getting the better end of the deal. You're just deluding yourself there.
Cravings are your body's way of telling you it needs something. -- absolutely not. They are your mind's way of telling you to eat whatever the hell it is you want.
Cooking veggies destroys their vitamin content. -- cooking does change things chemically. For tomatoes, it actually improves things, by bringing out more lycopene. You actually get more lycopene out of ketchup or tomato sauce than you do out of fresh tomatoes.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:26 am
Yeah, margerine is bad. All you have to do is look at it and then visualize it going through your system without breaking down.

Another myth: Avacodos are good for weight gain. Same with nuts.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:43 am
wow
I did not think the majority of those were true anyway
0 Replies

bsboard

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

Reminds me of the time I was walking through the desert. It was like 120 degrees out, and I hadn't eaten or drank anything all day. 8 hours in, I was really craving some water. I had a canteen with me, but knew that the craving wasn't because my body needed it. So I played it safe, and didn't drink any. Smile
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:41 pm
@bsboard,
That was a close call.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:09 pm
@bsboard,
Freshy.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
just wait for a few days and some new "truths" about healthy and unhealthy foods will emerge !

it reminds of our stay in vienna in 2001 . we'd been invited for dinner by an a2k member living in vienna .
her husband - a professor at the university - was late for dinner .
"sorry for being late , " he said , "we just released an important announcement : 'coffee in good for you!' " .

i couldn't help laughing , since in vienna people get up with a cup of coffee in their hand and go to bed with a cup of coffee in their hand - and drink plenty of coffee throughout the day - plain black , with a little milk , with whipped cream , with brandy .. ... so the university of vienna was perfect for releasing the study results .
hbg

Quote:
Coffee is Healthy! So Why Not Make That a Quad Shot Caramel Macchiato!
Written by Superhuman
Wednesday, 16 January 2008
Most people think coffee is bad for the health and some people consider it downright sinful. While we won’t comment on the sinfulness of coffee drinking, we can say that they’re wrong about coffee and health" coffee is a healthy food. Several recent studies found that coffee drinking prevented premature death from all causes and reduced the risk of heart attack, stroke and some cancers. Austrian researchers from the University of Vienna found that coffee drinking protected white blood cell DNA from damaging free radicals. Free radicals are produced naturally during metabolism and are linked to aging, DNA damage, and impaired immunity. Coffee drinking increased the concentration of the powerful antioxidant superoxide dismutase by 38 percent. They concluded that drinking coffee might prevent oxidative DNA damage more than diets high in fruits and vegetables. If the results of this study are true, mothers might say to their children, “drink your coffee” instead of “eat your broccoli.” (Food Chemical Toxicology, 45: 1428-1436, 2007)

let's drink to that - with brandy !

the proper way of having coffee in vienna !

http://www.martinzimmermann.de/wien20b.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:07 pm
@hamburger,
I am sooooo glad to learn that coffee is the miracle food this month, because at least I can enjoy it guilt free until some intellectual study declares it to be one notch above battery acid as suitable food next month.

Myth or not, I find eating foods that make me feel good work reasonably well. And oddly enough, if I go by what looks good to me at the time, that will include a lot of great veggies, fruit, or whatever. If I eat junk food for very long, it quickly becomes quite appealing in favor of presumed healthier food. Sometimes I pig out on fresh fruit, and sometimes other stuff just looks better. (Unless it's watermelon or strawberries. I can always eat watermelon or strawberries, and now somebody will tell me that such preferences are typical of some exotic fatal disease.)

So.....my rule of thumb, if it hurts, kicks back on me, or causes other unpleasant side effects, I don't eat it. If I feel good after eating it, then it's okay.

hamburger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
fox wrote :

Quote:
coffee is the miracle food this month

it's been a "miracle food" in vienna since 1683 , when the turks were driven from vienna - but left some coffee behind <GRIN> . the rest is "history" !
let's give thanks to the turks !
hbg

enjoying coffee - the turkish way :

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/photo/92006/m54187.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:26 pm
Certain foods can burn fat.
nah

It's better to eat six mini meals than three squares.
Perhaps if you have difficulties with sugar metabolism, or are into major weight lifting.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than frozen ones.
Depends on additives, given a lot of packaged frozen fruit has added high fructose corn syrup, and some frozen foods have a lot of salt. I'm not sure about other additives, don't buy frozen all that much. Have a bias to local seasonal fresh bought in a timely fashion from a local shop or farm market. Lucky the people who have good produce at local shops. (I don't) I also like handling actual fresh fruits and vegetables in the kitchen, let's call it an aesthetic thing.

Decaf coffee has no caffeine.
Has some.

Margarine is better than butter.
Some margarines might be, as jespah said. Most aren't, unless margarine has changed since I last looked. My bias is towards non manufactured food. (Thus I'd rather eat a little real sugar than "artificial" sweeteners. On fats, I cook with monosaturates most of the time. I'll have some butter once in a while.

Bananas are fattening.
I don't know the calories. Don't care. They taste good and are good for you. I like different kinds.

I think this is occasionally true and most of the time not.

Cooking veggies destroys their vitamin content.
As Jespah said, some cooking enhances some nutrients. Some cooking, for example, boiling the hell out of something for some long time, seriously diminishes some vitamins. Cabbage is interesting. I've read to never cook it on high or even medium for more than seven minutes, as that brings out the sulfurous aspects via some chemical change. Unless you want the sulfurous aspects.

0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You actually ARE what you eat... so I look at it as if what I consumed during the past year is lying there on the floor in front of me in the shape of a human body. And what does it look like. Is it a huge blob of grease already spreading all over & staining the kitchen floor forever? Or a mound of ground beef (for all the fast food hamburger addicts). I have never believed any of these insane myths about food/weight. The truth is that you take in a certain number of calories & either burn them by activity/energy expenditure or they turn into fat & you gain more weight, another 10 pounds. (listen to me, talking about pounds when the rest of the entire world is metric - good grief I don't even know how to say what 10 pounds is metrically) Anyway I've alway believed in healthy eating. Oatmeal lowers cholesterol. Rice is easy to for your stomach to digest. You know that certain common foods are very irritating to the stomach & American's suffer from an extraordinary amount of gastric reflux disease & this it comes from what people are eating. Also consider that the body is about 80 percent water and do you know how many people NEVER drink a glass of water? That all they ever drink are things like coffee, soda, beer anything but water. Such people are so badly & so chronically dehydrated they have completely lost their natural sense of thirst. How can anyone expect their body to operate as it's intended to when it is so badly abused. People in this country seem to suffer from the most notoriously bad health, and overall I believe it stems from awful eating habits, lack of water, lack of vegetables, lack of fiber & lack of exercise & I can't help but believe that it all comes from what we pour into our bodies.
0 Replies