hey guys, do you LIKE SHOPPING ????

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
There was a young man from Leeds
Who swallowed a packet of seeds
Great tufts of grass
Grew out of his ass
And his bollix were smothered in weeds . . .

Zat an acquaintance of yours, Kev?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:25 am
Shopping for necessities, yes. Shopping for pleasure, big fat no. Thank god Mrs. cav isn't like that....although my mom is, and I get immense pleasure at going tee hee when mom ropes her into a shopping expidition. Laughing
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:19 am
Setanta, if you dont take the piss out of my cousins, I'll leave yours alone. Deal?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:22 am
What a bizzare train of circumstance. I read a reply of yours, Kev, about an American cousin, who was taken down by 75 U.S. Marshalls, which i found quite clever. So i responded to it. But when the page reloaded, your post was gone. Perplexed, i deleted my own post, but then got a message that i could only delete my own posts (? ! ? ! ?). When i tried to come back to the thread, i was informed that it had been deleted or locked.

Now i find this posting of yours . . . i'm going to go take a bit of a lie down . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:37 am
I like shopping. So there.

I had a big discussion with a (guy) friend about whether stores were defunct. This was about 1998, he said the Internet was taking over and brick + mortar stores would die off but quick. If you want a white shirt in your size, he sez, just go to the Internet, find the best price, order it, and thassit... all done in 5 minutes.

I said yes yes but that's not how most people (OK, wimmins... but I know mins like this, too) shop. I have two very distinct modes. One is goal oriented -- I want to get something very specific, nothing else. I recently found some boots that way... I wanted Kenneth Cole Reaction brown leather boots with a not-too-high heel, comfortable but still interesting, for under $100. They had run out of my size at Zappos, found the Kenneth Cole site which let me find the nearest store that carried 'em, found one 11 miles away, called and asked them to hold them for me. I'll zoom in, pick 'em up, and zoom out. (IF I decide that I can swing the $89... I bought my last pair of boots 2 years ago, but I'm poor these days.)

Anyway, that's one mode.

Another mode is, "I'd like something warm and colorful for fall." That's a completely different mode. That's going to my favorite stores, browsing, feeling textures, seeing colors up close, seeing how things fit, coming across unexpected bargains. That is something that is enjoyable in and of itself, especially if I manage to score something warm, colorful, and CHEAP!! I wrote recently on the "What are you wearing?" thread about going to a big outdoor sale (for charity). I had two goals in mind -- clothes for my nephew, and winter boots for the sozlet. Got 'em both, but happened across a fantastic vintage leather trench coat, great condition, $20. THAT was what makes shopping really fun, for me... when you just happen across something great. That kind of happy accident is harder to come by in goal-oriented shopping, for one, and just the sensual aspect of that mode of shopping -- feeling textures, seeing colors, smelling the leather -- are part of the point.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:45 am
Hmm, I must admit a grudging "yes" to Sozobe's post, but for me, replace food for shoes or clothing of any kind Confused Also, I can't get decent oxtail or tripe online.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
Sad Most definately not and avoid it like the plague.

I say, let the men do the Christmas shopping and so how long it doesn't take. :wink: No extra opening hours required.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:07 pm
You wouldn't catch me dead in a mall around Christmas!!! Most of my Christmas shopping is done in the summer on the computer. People are crazy in the malls during Christmas time and it truly is a dangerous place. I'm not that brave.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:38 pm
I love browsing through stores on vacation. That is "recreational" shopping.

For practical shopping, I use both internet and stores. Some things you just have to try on, like shoes & lingerie. Also, the stores give you ideas for accessorizing, which you can't get online. If I want to try on new styles, I go to a store.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:52 pm
I would like to offer my condolences to Montana for her genetic defectiveness. I'm sorry... I... I didn't know.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:58 pm
I dont like to wait around for a female to check out the cute necklace..........
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:00 pm
"hey guys, do you LIKE SHOPPING ????"

Love it, I go every two or three years - whether I need to or not!!!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
Yeah... ex would shop without buying.

I'd buy without shopping.

Drove each other nuts.

Mrs. SealPoet and I do pretty well shopping. If one wants to do stuff the other doesn't... rendezvous at the bookstore in an hour. But often we are after the same kinds of things and make irreverent remarks about anything else... we amuse ourselves.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:12 pm
Grand Duke wrote:
My brother just got back from hols in Barcelona, and he says the hypermarkets over there have bars in them, and they're full of blokes sitting drinking by themselves while their wives/girlfriends are doing the shopping! Brilliant idea - a creche for men!

Do you Brits use "hypermarket"? Brilliant indeed. I do my grocery shopping online. When I am in a hurry it takes about 5 clicks (just pull up my last order and submit again).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
What a bizzare train of circumstance. I read a reply of yours, Kev, about an American cousin, who was taken down by 75 U.S. Marshalls, which i found quite clever. So i responded to it. But when the page reloaded, your post was gone. Perplexed, i deleted my own post, but then got a message that i could only delete my own posts (? ! ? ! ?). When i tried to come back to the thread, i was informed that it had been deleted or locked.

Now i find this posting of yours . . . i'm going to go take a bit of a lie down . . .

BTW, this happens if your post is already deleted bu you hit the confirmation button again. Since there is no such post anymore the software assumes that since there is no post OF YOURS (or that you can delete) it must be someone else's.

The wording is, indeed, unclear.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I would like to offer my condolences to Montana for her genetic defectiveness. I'm sorry... I... I didn't know.

Thanks Gus. I really appreciate your kindness. I didn't know until last night either, but it's starting to sink in and I'm sure I'll learn to come to terms with this disorder. In the mean time, the next round is on me ;-)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:24 pm
our big supermarket chains do home delivery of internet orders. it works well i'm told. I just hate it when the good lady wife seems to think every store in the mall is worth going in. I then feel an urge to hibernate in a pub. At times she will say I going to this shop and that shop and then all the others. I'm going into the supermarket, I tell her. We are ok for groceries she replies. Yes, I concur, but we, that is I, am not ok for rolling tobacco, the new CD from -- We are An Aging Rock Band & Should Rest On OurLaurels. Nor do i have any beer at home or todays newspaper. I then get one of those looks that says, GO AND WAIT IN THE CAR. Peace & quiet beckons, heavenly.
There are many way to skin a rabbit & I know a few of them
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:25 pm
Montana, I wanted you to know that I, for one, certainly think your lemons are great Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:27 pm
I could never understand why wives like to bring their husbands shopping with them. When I shop I like to shop alone.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:29 pm
BillW wrote:
Montana, I wanted you to know that I, for one, certainly think your lemons are great Laughing

Awww, thanks Bill ;-)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:57:59