Bush Says Palestinians Need a New Leader

au1929

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:35 am
Bush Says Palestinians Need a New Leader
CAMP DAVID, Md. (AP) - President Bush told Palestinians on Thursday that if they want peace, they must have a leader who fights terror. He said Yasser Arafat "has failed as a leader" and accused him of forcing the resignation of a prime minister who had worked for peace. "Hopefully, at some point in time, a leadership of the Palestinian leadership will emerge which will then commit itself 100 percent to fighting off terror," Bush said as he met at the presidential retreat here with Jordan's King Abdullah II, a vital ally in the Middle East.

Bush in his infinite wisdom stated the obvious. However, wishful thinking will not make it so. It is time for Bush and I suppose Israel as well that no matter how distasteful it is to acknowledge Arafat is the leader of the Palestinian people and for any peace process to succeed Arafat must be aboard. There seems to have been in recent days some movement in that direction with a call by the PA for a cease fire and continuation of the road map. Whether it is real or just a ploy is unknowable however IMO with no other options it should be accepted at face value proceed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 519 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:13 am
IMO, there is no need to acknowledge Arafat as the leader but at the same time I believe it is utter folly to preclude peace soley on the basis of his existence.

"We refuse to make peace with Arafat because he is an obstacle to peace." LOL
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:34 am
Aright: Cease-fire is near

Thursday, September 18, 2003, Posted: 3:49 AM EDT (0749 GMT)
RAMALLAH, West Bank (CNN) -- Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat has suggested a new cease-fire may be close as his Fatah movement prepares to choose new government ministers.
Arafat said efforts to re-institute the cease-fire that fell apart last month were now bearing fruit.
"There are continuous contacts with various parties," Arafat told Israeli news station Channel 10, which interviewed him in his compound.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/09/18/mideast/index.html

Can anyone other than Arafat effect a cease fire. Like it or not he is the only leader they have who can lead. The question is and will remain is how sincere is he. Have events effected his perspective?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:36 am
America needs a new leader!

Why doesn't Bush show Arafat how it is done.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:39 am
i think so. I think way back when he brought about the case-fire that Sharon demanded (and that Sharon ended) by demanding a few weeks "of calm" that it was a turning point.

I believe that in this intifada Arafat realized he had overestimated their abilities.

I also believe that Arafat is less about destrying Israel than he is about being the father figure for Palestinians.

I think he wants to be the one to bring them statehood and honestly I think he is the man to do it.

My biggest fear is that Israel has or will make him more extreme with the way they incessantly show their power over him (threatening to kill him, discussing his life's validity, confining him and being the ones who serve him his food or not...).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:40 am
Frank
That is still up to the American electorate. We will have to wait till 04 to resolve that question.
0 Replies