Man Tells Fax Spammers To Go Fax Themselves

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:39 pm
Man Tells Fax Spammers To Go Fax Themselves... And They Comply

Quote:
For weeks now I have been receiving fax calls on my house line, a number I've had for over twenty years and now ported to VOIP; somehow, at some point, it got included on a telemarketing fax CD.

I get them 3-4 times a day, each repeated 3 times, starting at 6 AM. Being awaken by the cheerful chirping of a fax when answering the phone isn't my cup of tea: Nobody calls me at six, so when it rings I always think there is some kind of emergency!

I finally decided to do something about this problem, and using the caller ID number as starting point, Google kindly provides me with the main number and name of the offending company.

The receptionist was not so receptive to my request: Seems they have many employees, and no interest in tracking down who is sending what, because they are very, very busy. Goodbye.

OK. Fine by me. One great advantage of my VOIP provider (Primus, for anyone who cares) is that their base package includes many interesting features, including the possibility to redirect any number to another. Thirty seconds later, I had the fax number redirected to the receptionist's number.

Since the redirection happens at the exchange, it will of course be a bit more difficult for them to track down the origin of these new, annoying calls than if they had been willing to listen to my complaint. They had their chance, and blew it.

I call this forcing corporate responsibility.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I got faxes to my number off and on for the first year I moved to NM. The few I managed to pick up (e.g., someone called to check the number) were from different companies to some construction company, which I never got the name of. This eventually tailed off. I do hope they lost business by not notifying folks of their correct fax number.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 05:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Brilliant!

Once upon a time my dad had his own construction company and my mom helped out in the office. There was a newfangled company called Telecheck who had a phone number one digit off from my dad's office.

My mom constantly fielded calls and for the longest time she tried to be polite. She gave the correct number, notified the company that so many people were making the same error, everything she could think of and the calls still did not stop.

She finally threw up her hands and started giving approval codes.

The calls stopped not long after that.
dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:12 pm
@boomerang,
Brilliant indeed!

A man I worked with once had a rental property next door, and a bunch of yahoos moved into it...you know the deal, music shaking your windows at 4.00 am, motorcycles revving all night, yahoos screaming in the street all night, throwing bottles at your house, vomiting in your garden.....

It was made worse because they had two small daughters, who were very frightened.

He spoke to the neighbours...zilch.

He contacted the agent managing the place on numerous occasions, and was ignored.

Then he took to calling the agent at home whenever there was disturbance (most nights) and for as long as the disturbance lasted (usually from about 10 pm to about 6 am).

They were evicted in 3 days.

0 Replies