The Vanishing Republican Voter - An Analysis

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 12:01 pm
The Vanishing Republican Voter

Quote:
My fellow conservatives and Republicans have tended not to worry very much about the widening of income inequalities. As long as there exists equality of opportunity " as long as everybody’s income is rising " who cares if some people get rich faster than others? Societies that try too hard to enforce equality deny important freedoms and inhibit wealth-creating enterprise. Individuals who worry overmuch about inequality can succumb to life-distorting envy and resentment.

All true! But something else is true, too: As America becomes more unequal, it also becomes less Republican. The trends we have dismissed are ending by devouring us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,601 • Replies: 3
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 12:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
David Frum wrote:
Equality in itself never can be or should be a conservative goal. But inequality taken to extremes can overwhelm conservative ideals of self-reliance, limited government and national unity. It can delegitimize commerce and business and invite destructive protectionism and overregulation. Inequality, in short, is a conservative issue too. We must develop a positive agenda that integrates the right kind of egalitarianism with our conservative principles of liberty. If we neglect this task and this opportunity, we won’t lose just the northern Virginia suburbs. We will lose America.

From your mouth to god's ear, David.
talk72000

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 08:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
His mother was Barbara Frum a reporter/commentator on CBC and seemed to me quite liberal. I can't believe her issue is so opposite.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:06 pm
@talk72000,
My father has voted straight Republican since the Truman administration. I'm sure I've been quite a disappointment to him as well.
0 Replies