24
   

What do you collect?

 
 
mismi
 
  3  
Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 06:36 am
@shewolfnm,
Where do you put them all? I like clean neat spaces so collecting for me is really not an option...the more cluttered my house the less I can focus. I have issues. That is why I like the transferware plates. They go on a wall or in my plate chest. I actually am avoiding antique shops now because of not wanting to collect anymore. My ginger jars are up on my fridge and on top of my cabinets. And dusting them is a pain in the arse. But they are so pretty!
mags314772
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:54 am
@mismi,
My collections are all in glass fronted cabinets....two big ones. That way, the dusting issue is rather moot. At least moot enough for my tastes.
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
@mismi,
because alot of my stones are small, I have them in 2 boxes.
I have a beautiful 1930's wooden 'hope chest' that I got from Ian's grandmother that I keep most ofmy big stones in. The others I have out on display in front of my fireplace.

I too hate clutter. I need clean , open, empty spaces.
I have enough to be comfortable, yet we live in a very tiny apartment so I have to deal with some clutter..
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 01:21 pm
There 's a stone store on Madison Ave & 34th St.
It has some beauties. Good geodes. Good agates. Good amber.
I bought a some small meteorites there; (how old are THAY ?)
I bought some iron pyrite to remind me of an ex-girlfriend.
etan
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@mags314772,
Trying to collect Martin guitars, but seeing as how they're priced out of my range it's slow going.

I am passionate about the two I own, though!
mags314772
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 06:38 pm
@etan,
that's the most important part of collecting...the passion
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 07:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

There 's a stone store on Madison Ave & 34th St.
It has some beauties. Good geodes. Good agates. Good amber.
I bought a some small meteorites there; (how old are THAY ?)
I bought some iron pyrite to remind me of an ex-girlfriend.


Have you seen that blue, really 'odd' colored stone that grows naturally in block shapes?
I have a piece, but I dont want to pull out all the camera equipment right now to take a picture of it, but I will tomorrow. It is really amazing when you look closely at it. It has the entire prism of color in its reflection, yet maintains a deep blue color on its own.

I also have a meteorite. That thing gives me a headache.
I wonder how old they are as well, and how... it is possible.. that we have so MANY pieces in circulation for easy purchase..
I mean , there has to be a limited number of them available correct?
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:47 am
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
Have you seen that blue, really 'odd' colored stone that grows naturally in block shapes?

No.

Quote:
I have a piece, but I dont want to pull out all the camera equipment right now to take a picture of it, but I will tomorrow. It is really amazing when you look closely at it. It has the entire prism of color in its reflection, yet maintains a deep blue color on its own.

I also have a meteorite. That thing gives me a headache.
I wonder how old they are as well,

Thay are said to be relics from the beginning of the solar system
around 4 billion years ago; occasionally thay fall on us.




Quote:
it is possible.. that we have so MANY pieces in circulation for easy purchase..
I mean , there has to be a limited number of them available correct?

The limited number is very hi; (no pun).
For an ez example, think of the particles that constitute the rings of Saturn.
When Earth was young and forming, it got hit millions of times
by falling objects, but not all of them fell then. Some fall now.
In the summer c. 2 months ago, I saw one trace an arc across the sky
above upstate NY.

We cannot begin to guess how many residual particles of condensed
iron and nickle remain up there from the time of early planetary formation,
possibly billions of them.





David
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:58 am
I also have a small collection of fossilized fish impressions
in sedimentary rock many hundreds of millions of years of age.
0 Replies
 
swan12
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 08:15 pm
i collect sheltie doggy thingsso far ive got a sheltie calendarand sheltie ornaments.the sheltie items are very hard to get hold of ive been finding.stamps and coins.and afl magpie memoribilia.
0 Replies
 
mysteryman
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 08:54 pm
I collect Monopoly games.
I have the original (classic) board,and I have boards from several cities, based on local roads and streets.
If anyone has one they dont want, I will be glad to take it off your hands.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Gold Plate - Question by renken1
How many books do you own? - Question by kickycan
Rolling pins: marble v. wood v. other - Question by boomerang
Designer prostitution - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
Museums and Cultural Artifacts - Discussion by ossobuco
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/19/2019 at 11:16:51