Google is launching their own open source browser tomorrow

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:17 pm
@Nick Ashley,
That may be a different engine being tested though, Mozilla's TraceMonkey engine isn't the in any widely used Firefox build yet (I think it first showed up for Firefox 3.1).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:38 am
If you try to uninstall it:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7848/55334208ze6.png

And here's a proof of concept exploit already:

http://raffon.net/research/google/chrome/carpet.html
sumac

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 01:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
This may be a little too pedestrian here, but Ik had to uninstall it after noting some problems developing. Now I no longer have "create shortcut" option when I right-click on my ogitech cordless mouse. Wha?

Also, previous shortcuts on the desktop could not be readily accessed without telling it where to find the file to open it with.

Both problems persist even after uninstall.

Any ideas?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
@sumac,
If you start a question with some more information I'll try to have a look at it later.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
chrome seems to be less of a memory hog.
ie7 would chomp up enough RAM to slow my cad software down to a crawl...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:00 am
I took a look at the registration script for Chrome and cancelled out, much too weird and likely expensive a year down the road. There are other (and less problematic) faster and lighter browsers available for older computers, Opera for instance.

Firefox is still my normal choice.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 04:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've been having a stack of resource issues with IE and Firefox so I'm moving chrome up to my browser of choice for non-development work (firefox for the developer plugin - opera for testing accessibility) and SaaS apps that require IE (such beasts do exist).

Count me as a fan.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 08:26 pm
Just bm to see how many actually use this as their primary browser. Want to learn the pros and cons before I change (yet again).
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
i use it as my primary browser at work, because IE is a memory hog.

one drawback i noticed is it only seems to display yahoo mail as plain text -- no option for html formatting...

i'm using 0.4.154.29
is this the latest version of chrome?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 12:01 am
@Region Philbis,
That'll be a bummer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 12:36 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i use it as my primary browser at work, because IE is a memory hog.

one drawback i noticed is it only seems to display yahoo mail as plain text -- no option for html formatting...

i'm using 0.4.154.29
is this the latest version of chrome?

0.4.154.29 is my version as well. (Obviously chrome updates automatically.)

I use chrome from the very first day onwards (and partly before in beta) - as my primary browser.

I had and have no problems at all.

(There's a lot of discussion [here] re privacy protection. But I don't think, anyone can get more information from me now than she/he could before Wink )
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 04:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
0.4.154.29 is my version as well. (Obviously chrome updates automatically.)
thanx.
wasn't sure if it was a separate dowload from the beta version...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 10:54 am

damn.
my company is forcing us to use IE exclusively, starting monday...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 11:14 am
@Robert Gentel,
Interesting
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:31 am
Chrome is still my browser of choice - I still use Firefox and IE and Opera for testing (and the occasional bizarre system that can't cope with Chrome).

Firefox I've set up with a bunch of work accounts with multiple home pages. IE is still my default browser as far as Windows is concerned, and works best with our crappy CMS.

I heard that IE8 finally lines up Microsoft with the W3C conventions the other browsers stick to - and that's causing problems because web programmers have long had code that checks what browser you're using and provides 'flakey' code for IE. But now IE8 isn't flakey but the code doesn't check for version, IE is IE and it gets the flakey code - which screws IE8 because it is no longer flakey. Punishing the son for the sins of the father if you will.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:16 pm
trying the mac chrome now, loving it, way faster than safari and firefox, for me anyway
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:29 pm
@djjd62,
The extensions system was just publicly released, so soon it will be my browser of choice as well (right now I still need some development plugins I use on Firefox).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 01:04 pm
@djjd62,
I love my Google Chrome.
I've been having lot of problems with Firefox (it wouldn't save my passwords, it was sluggish and unstable... probably issues with the extensions and their constant updatings).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:35 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

damn.
my company is forcing us to use IE exclusively, starting monday...

And my beloved Opera now won't work properly with more and more sites.

Sigh.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:46 pm
@dlowan,
I guess that's going to affect you and your small warren of bunnies. What is that dlowan... 5 or 6 internet users around the world still browsing with Opera?! Wink