Why do I have a black box over HP Photo Print Software, after installing Windows XP?

PJV

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 08:45 am
My computer was just updated with a newer CPU and Windows XP. All my data was transfered. All my software and hardware was reloaded. Another change was that instead of plugging devices into a USB hub, the devices were all plugged directly into the back of the newer CPU because it had enough available ports.

I have been using an HP inkjet all in one printer for some 6 years . It has a "Photo Print" software that I like for managing and editing photos. Since this change, now when I bring up that software by chosing a picture and clicking on "Photo Print" I am sent to that same photo print screen except that it is covered by a black box that covers the entire screen and hides all the buttons and the toolbar. It shows me the photo I selected and nothing else. It's unusable this way. I've tried calling HP for support but since my printer is so old they won't help me unless I pay for a new warranty. The newer CPU is a hand me down.....not one with a warranty. I don't think it's an issue with the CPU.

Does anyone have an idea why I'm getting this black box on top of the application? What should I do? We've already tried reloading the printer software 3 times and it doesn't change. Is this a flaw with Windows XP?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,463 • Replies: 5

Intrepid

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 08:53 pm
@PJV,
Have you tried downloading new drivers for your printer from HP?
PJV

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:25 pm
@Intrepid,
My husband has mentioned that this would be something to try. I don't know what it means. I'll get him to try this. I hope it works.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:50 pm
@PJV,
You would go to the HP website and click on support / drivers for the model printer you have and download them. Your husband probably knows what to do on this.
PJV

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:02 pm
@Intrepid,
He just tried that and said he couldn't find any. I don't know what a driver is. Is that a software fix? He's been searching and searching and hasn't found anything. My printer is HP psc 2200.

0 Replies

PJV

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:55 pm
@Intrepid,
I made a mistake in the last post. The model is hp psc 2210. It's an all-in-one ink jet printer. When I looked on the HP site under that model number I did find my printer. There was one driver download available but it appears it's not loading on my computer. To me it looked like we'd have to change some of our settings in order to download. My husband said the download thing was going to take some 4 hours, and he didn't think it would help.

Then we also tried calling the tech support phone number again. All we got from that is they say for a $35 fee someone would walk us through what to do. I don't know if they mean what to do about loading the initial printer software or if they are talking about the drivers. We'll try that later then when we have time. That's our last resort and if that doesn't work I'll have to go back to Windows 2000.
0 Replies