Reliving Katrina

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:43 am
My cell phone rang on Saturday and when I saw the 504 area code, I picked up expecting it to be a family member. It was a woman on the road heading for Atlanta from New Orleans. She dialed my number by mistake. I wished her luck. She said "thank you, precious." I almost burst into tears. That's just soooo New Orleans.

Just spoke with some family in Baton Rouge. Heavy wind gusts, some rain, a few power outages, but nothing major.

For some reason, my focus have been on the children who were traumatized by Katrina and now Gustav. How frightened they must be. My heart just aches for them.

Thinking about my cousins in Houston who fled Katrina. Gustav will just skim Houston but I can imagine they must be a little nervous, just by the memory. One cousin suffered such a tragic loss, I do worry that Gustav will bring it all back for him but he's got his children around him (he lost his wife) and hopefully he'll be fine.

Lots of stuff rolling around in my head. I heard about another hurricane heading for the Georgia/Carolina's border later this week. Yikes! My husbands' family is in Savannah. Our house might get a bit crowded but lots of his family live here in the Atlanta area so there are plenty of places to bunk.
mismi

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:32 am
@eoe,
My baby asked me yesterday if Grandmother and Papa were going to die. I told him not from Hurricane Gustav. Not to worry. The storms do make an impression on children.

Really - You just never kn0w though. Birmingham is hosting about 4000 for shelter during Gustav. Did the same thing during Katrina. Just sad so many have to be away from their home...hopefully not as long this time.
0 Replies