The Large Hadron Collider - Court rejects protest against Big Bang machine

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:05 pm
I have never understood the talk about start day.....it will take about a year for it to get up to full speed, it is after it has been powered up for awhile that it becomes more powerfull than the colliders which have been in operation to date, and thus reaches the point that new risk is being taken.
spendius

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
One of my girlfriends told me something like that Hawk.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:09 pm
@spendius,
I like a man who hangs out with the smart chicks.....I always liked the smart ones better.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:13 pm
@old europe,
I might feel responsible for the kids.... I dunno.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 09:48 pm
Quote:
New Particle Collider to Be Shut Down for Repairs

By DENNIS OVERBYE
Published: September 20, 2008
The giant Large Hadron Collider, the world’s largest and most expensive scientific experiment, will be shut down for at least two months, scientists at the European Center for Nuclear Research, or CERN, in Geneva said Saturday.

The shutdown casts into doubt the hopes of CERN physicists to achieve high-energy collisions of protons in the machine before the end of the year

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/science/21collider.html?hp

we've been granted a reprieve, the darn thing does not work.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The failure on 19 September - described as a "massive" magnet quench - certainly seems dramatic: it caused the temperatures in about 100 of the LHC's super-cooled magnets to soar by as much as 100C.

One of the LHC's eight sectors will now have to be warmed up to well above its operating temperature of 1.9 Kelvin (-271C; -456F) " which is colder than deep space " so that repairs can take place.

But the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern), which operates the LHC, maintains the setback is a relatively minor one in the grand scheme of things and poses no longer-term threat to the LHC.
Source
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They should privatise it Walt and gives us a chance at some short selling on the shares.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:14 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

They should privatise it Walt and gives us a chance at some short selling on the shares.
Well, you "easily" could get a majority for that in the council, representing the 20 member states, I think ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Anything that complicated is bound to have a few glitches, especially in the beginning.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are the salaries suspended then or are they all amusing themselves in town while the cryogenics experts do their stuff. It went from a month to two months and then to six months in two days.

It's called hypnosis Ed. Auto suggestion if you like.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
They suggest that the viewer understands modern science and that tickles the fancy so much it is voted for. About 10 billion's worth I understand although I don't know whether in dollars, pounds or Euros.

It's not in Liras. You can be sure of that.
0 Replies