Sleep Paralysis

xris

Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:26 am
@jespah,
No problem, I know how frightening than can be. I can still remember my childhood horrors. Your first is the worst.
jespah

Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:33 am
@xris,
When you're in your late 70s, like my Dad is, the first thing everyone thinks is, he's having a stroke.
xris

Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:00 am
@jespah,
I do hope my experiences help him. Im in my sixties and it took me years to discover this trick.
jespah

Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:06 am
@xris,
Thanks! Have I welcomed you yet?

If not, please consider yourself welcomerized.
0 Replies

Dan77

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 04:52 am
Interesting, I was actually searching for threads about a different issue I've been dealing with when I came across this one. I guess I must also get paralysis from time to time, I just never knew what it was. For me it always happened when I had just fallen asleep, or very shortly thereafter... I enter some sort of trance where my mind is awake, but I can't physically move or breathe. Furthermore, it has always been accompanied by an extremely vivid image of some sort of demon in my head. It happens to me maybe only 2-3 times a year on average, but it never ceases to freak me out. The first couple of times I was afraid to go back to sleep, because I could feel myself falling back into the same trance.

This may or may not be related, but for the past four nights, as I am just getting comfortable and ready to fall asleep in bed, I've been feeling a rush of lightheadedness and dizziness. I toss and turn and it just keeps happening over and over, just as I am dozing off, no matter what position I am in. Eventually I do end up falling asleep, but I am afraid something might be seriously wrong with me and i have been losing a lot of sleep.

I'd like to avoid the doctor because my insurance sucks, and everytime i go they diagnose me with some sort of stress-related issue, or temporary asthma nonsense. Does anybody know what I am experiencing?
jespah

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:09 am
@Dan77,
Hmm. I'm no doctor but I am curious - does this always happen when you're falling asleep? Do you notice it accompanying any other conditions, e. g. did you eat a big meal right before going to bed, not exercise during the day, are sleeping on the couch rather than the bed, the TV's on, whatever? Much like with an allergy elimination diet, you may find that if you eliminate one or another thing, or change something, you might be able to minimize these episodes, or avoid them altogether, I suspect.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:38 am
@Nick Ashley,
I 've never had that problem (except once qua surgical anesthesia)
but concerning difficulty in breathing,
sometimes I take anti-histamine pills.
Thay work very well for a few hours.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 05:08 pm
@PuNkGaL19,
I understand that the Old Hag pattern is endemic in New Foundland.
0 Replies

Eyewire2000

Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:40 am
@Nick Ashley,
I had this happen once when I was 20.. I got home from a very strenuous morning of work and laid down to rest about 3 pm. It was a very sunny day. I drifted into what I would describe as the edge of sleep. I began to dream a very frightening dream, that felt so real that I began to move, but couldn't. The paralysis made me feel a panic that I have never felt since! After a few seconds my struggling awoke me, but it was quite an experience! One I wish to never repeat.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Sun 23 Dec, 2012 09:27 am
@Nick Ashley,
I think I get a bit of the other way around, my body is active and moving and my mind.. Well, no.. I would have to say my brain, is still catching up, I end up in worrisome situations, ....I mean I did years ago, seems OK now, aside from.. Other stuff separate and the occasional slight dizziness on waking and getting up with something to immediately do, very rare.

I tore off a shelf once, no reason.I am fairly sure some spirit of some description did not like it... I remember having a thought that it was ugly and insisting to myself I was imagining it and I would never think that.. Then one night, crash!, no thought, just gone, from flat sleep.

The sexual parts I will keep to myself for once. Let me just say, some neighbors did well to get to bed early like good little girls and boys if I had no net curtains. That only really happened once. You blame yourself, but it never happened before or again.

I have not had paralysis but I have had absolute locked jaw, to the point my teeth were breaking.. From then, those hours... I vowed never to keep anything in (in hindsight, I boldly say most weaselly), Fark them!
nothingtodo

Sun 23 Dec, 2012 09:45 am
@nothingtodo,
I just could not do that to myself, I cannot do it to that level of force.... I can put cigarettes out on myself, but that, I cannot do... so WTF is it?

Farking hellhole!.
Me, the pentagram abductee extraordinaire, alone in a house with two teenage girls, for how many years?... with my issues?. Lord oh lord.
I am almost sure I get the curtains and the spirits get the fun.
0 Replies

Nocturna

Mon 13 May, 2013 01:50 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I came across your post while trying to figure out this phenomenon that has happened to me for years. I have always had sleep issues of some kind as far as I remember. Insomnia, night waking, bad circulation etc. Even the hallucinations (this is where the incubus and succubus were invented). Have you figured out how to stop it?
0 Replies

nuladee

Tue 21 May, 2013 02:26 am
A couple of comments here suggest that not fighting it or "going with it" can be helpful for sleep paralysis - I can certainly relate to that.

I had an evil presence jump on me and cause me a lot of pain during my childhood sleep paralysis. This happened repeatedly over the course of a year or more. I got so damn tired of it!!! One night, I was determined to make it stop, so I thought to myself before I went to sleep, "If it happens again I will confront it".

Strangely, the next time I had sleep paralysis, I didn't confront the evil figure, but instead had sex with it (or at least my subconscious did....). After that, it never came back. Unfortunately, this positive event also had the negative impact of causing guilt and shame of having "had sex with evil" (and then being rejected by it...haha..).

I see my experience of sleep paralysis in the context of a fairly complicated childhood, which included, among other things, physical and other abuses, sexualisation (from another child my age), a lot of guilt and shaming from adults and children, too much television late at night, and unhealthy food especially sugar. Making love to the evil figure certainly worked for me, though I can understand why some might see this as unusual.

As others have noted, I have also had similar states, including out of body experiences (flying - a few times controllable), sudden falling, and benign sorts of sleep paralysis where there is no threatening presence.

So there you go, there's my sleep paralysis experiences.
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Sun 17 Nov, 2013 02:47 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Yep, its happened to me and my sister before. It's very memorable because its so scary. 4 out of 10 people get it. Also, it runs in the family. Other factors include:
*lack of sleep
*sleep schedule changes
*stress
*sleeping on the back
*other stuff

So, as you can see, it can happen because of anything, even a leg cramp.

My last case went like this: I went to bed and was just falling asleep when suddenly, I remembered that Chucky movie I watched; it's about a doll that kills people when they're most vulnerable. Sleeping was a vulnerable position, and I had dolls in my room. So, I decided to stay up, but when I tried to get up, I couldn't move.

This is what happened; as I was falling asleep, my brain began to shut down my body. Everything was all set and my brain was ready to lose consciousness and fall into dreamland when I suddenly decided to keep my consciousness. By then, my body had been "shut down" so I couldn't move.

If I had stopped panicking, I would have noticed my brain sending me signals to make me sleepy so that I could give in and lose consciousness because my body was tired and wanted to go to sleep.

When I educated myself about this, the problem stopped. Whenever my body couldn't move, I didn't panic. In the end, I'd just lose consciousness and fall asleep.

I've also awoken before my body has awoken. The process is still the same. Don't panic. Your body will either make you go back to sleep or will wake the rest of your body up for you. It just takes a while. Of course, when you're scared, this feels like a long time. Still, calm down, and don't panic. Listen to your body.
0 Replies

Adityavarma

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:57 am
At least 6 hour of good sleep is require, else go to doctor
0 Replies

Kleevus

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:03 am
To me personally, it feeleth as if the old hag lady witch is sitting nude on top of my round hairy chest facing me and I cannot moveth at all. This special experience of open leg stench is neither intoxicating nor pleasurable. I'd love one night to sneak up on that old hag witch bitch and do the same thing to her as she does to me and give her the old hot Karl treatment for all the terrible sleepness night's she has given me.
(Please google "Hot Carl" to learn how to perform this and to understand its meaning as it relates to sleep paralysis.
0 Replies

babyvee

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 09:01 am
@DrewDad,
This happened to me MANY times throughout my life from early adult hood. However, since I have remarried, it doesn't happen anymore.
0 Replies

salsays

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 11:25 am
@Nick Ashley,
I god that ones and it was really scarry
0 Replies

MyFloridaGreen

Tue 4 Dec, 2018 06:57 am
@DrewDad,
that is also very dangerous dieaseas.
tsarstepan

Tue 4 Dec, 2018 10:05 am
@MyFloridaGreen,
MyFloridaGreen wrote:

that is also very dangerous dieaseas.

Sailing the Dieaseas is especially dangerous this time of year.
0 Replies