Copyright material on A2K?

husker

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:21 am
What do you think?
Are we bending the rules here @ A2K? With all the hub-bub with file sharing and such. I was just wondering about respecting copyright with music lyrics? and for that fact news, quotes, and information from other web pages?
What do you think....

and or is there a proper way to do it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,179 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Olen

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:31 am
Just enjoy the discussions here on A2K. We are not going to violate anyone's copyrights and make a profit from them. That had never entered my mind before you mentioned it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:45 am
This is not an attempt to bring judgement or wrong doing. Let's say a great majority may be
guilty of posting or publishing copyrighted information with out realizing the wrong doing.
Proper citing could be the appropriate thing to do IMO. I think the last think anyone
would want to do is hurt A2K or cause a problem that would complicate the success.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:10 pm
This is a msg board the information posted is a statement by the author and not a statment of A2K, A2K would not be breaking any law by letting anyone post such info because like I said A2K is only the medium it does not control the msg the author does. A2k does not claim to take responsability for such posts. Music lyrics can be copied if they are not changed and the poster does not take the writing credit, quotes are exactly that, quotes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:40 pm
It is always right to attribute your source, especially in a direct quote, which includes material cut and pasted from another web source. A small excerpt is generally considered fair usage, but clipping an entire article or editorial may be problematical.

Well, one of the administrators is an attorney. I leave it in their capable hands.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:22 pm
When adding information found elsewhere I do my upmost best to link to the original and/or note the origin. I just think thats the way to handle it anyway. The whole copywrite thing well, as long as we do what we can when we can, which I think most people do their best to do here then, what more can you watch out for? Other than asking someone for their source information, etc.
0 Replies