Swimmer Michael Phelps was a millionaire before he won 8 gold medals at the Olympics

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:23 am
I'm thinking that he should return all his gold medals for not living up to the hype from NBC.
patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:57 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Actually the "awkward" thing is evidently exaggerated, too. He was pretty good at several sports before focusing on swimming (but now that he's so specialized for swimming, he's more awkward on land).

So he's a little mythologized. He fits the role, and that's the main thing. Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:18 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Raise his taxes!!!!

http://rushprnews.com/Obama.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:29 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
The 23-year-old swimmer's declaration comes amid rumors that he and his representatives are in negotiations to buy North Baltimore Aquatic Club's Meadowbrook facility along with a neighboring ice skating rink and post office in the Mount Washington community. One rumored proposal has Phelps and his management group turning the area into an Olympic training center. In April, it was announced that Bowman would be NBAC's chief executive officer

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bal-phelpsrink0819,0,3012199.story

OK, he can swim good, maybe he used his money to buy some up and coming new drug that the IOC does not test for yet.....who knows....but all you who bought into the PR sob story about his life....SUCKERS!!!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:05 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I'm thinking that he should return all his gold medals for not living up to the hype from NBC.

Lemme c:
does that mean the other athletes
have to live up to the hype from NBC ?

Going back how many years ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:09 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
all you who bought into the PR sob story about his life....SUCKERS!!!

I did not care about his early life;
I still don 't.

David
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn said:
Quote:
Well, it's NBC, the same folk who altered the opening ceremony to make the US go later, the same ones who have generally screwed the coverage of this Olympics up completely, with their inane drivel the entire time and complete and total focus on America constantly.

S'funny - that's exactly what they said about the Australian coverage, far too Australian-centric. Then there was a letter in the Sydney Morning Herald from an Aussie living in Finland currently, complaining that she'd been unable to see any of the swimming events, because the coverage in Finland was only of events that the Finns were involved in.

Although I must say I did see some non-Aussie events. I watched some handball, which no-oneat all plays here - Norway and Croatia (I think) and found it fascinating. I went to see some handball at the Sydney Olympics as well. (tickets were rather cheap - because no-one plays it here!)

Interesting, ain't it?

Mind you - we did see rather a lot of Michael Phelps!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 06:24 am
I thought it was the least American-centric coverage I've ever seen of the olympics. Sure, there's all that human interest crap, but who pays attention to that anyway?

I mainly watcdh team sports, and there were loads of events that didn't feature American teams. There was quite a bit of men's field hockey, water polo, and handball on the tube, none of these traditionally American sports in the least. The swimming -- well, since we medal or contend in just about every swimming event, it's hard to avoid coverage of Americans there.

Maybe the coverage of field events was a little skimpy... but how exciting is it to watch giants throw cannonballs, anyway? (Would be a damn sight better if they threw them at each other...)
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 06:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I agree, but it seems that those that do not have money to support such dedication to a sport have it more difficult. If you are rich before hand, you are not giving up something financially to support all the expenses to become a star athelete.

There is more to overcome not having as much financially. Although the physical accomplishment in itself is the same.
patiodog

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 05:00 pm
Point was made here that Phelps was a millionaire by age 18.

Which is true. It's also true that he was a world record holder by age 16, and held two world records by age 18.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 06:24 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Re: OmSigDAVID (Post 3372449)
I agree, but it seems that those that do not have money to support such dedication
to a sport have it more difficult. If you are rich before hand,
you are not giving up something financially to support all the expenses
to become a star athelete.

There is more to overcome not having as much financially.
Although the physical accomplishment in itself is the same.

Yes.
I am sure that u r right.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 06:33 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:

I thought it was the least American-centric coverage I've ever seen of the olympics. Sure, there's all that human interest crap, but who pays attention to that anyway?

Agreed.
I did not.
I used the Olympics as a distraction from a tense situation that I had.

Having said that,
let me acknowledge the contrasting fact that seeing them there has a certain 2 dimensional
quality to it; thay don 't seem as much like real people as like TV images,
not much above cartoon characters, if u do not know them.

Quote:

Maybe the coverage of field events was a little skimpy... but how exciting is it
to watch giants throw cannonballs, anyway? (Would be a damn sight better
if they threw them at each other...)

More like the ancient Roman gladiatorial arena than the Olympics ?

NO; I don 't want Shawn Johnson getting hurt.

David
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:32 pm
He doesn't seem like a nice guy:

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 12:53 pm
Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. -- Olympic great Michael Phelps has acknowledged "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after a photo in a British newspaper showed him smoking marijuana.

In a statement released to The Associated Press, the swimmer who won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Games conceded the authenticity of the exclusive picture published Sunday by the tabloid News of the World.

Phelps said: "I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/01/AR2009020101022.html?hpid=topnews

OOPS........not too smart of a cookie to get caught.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 01:11 pm
http://i40.tinypic.com/2e4dzip.jpg
(source: The Times)

BBC's latest: Swimmer Phelps regrets pot pipe
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 02:08 pm
Its a personal decision;
not a good one, but a personal one.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 02:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Its a personal decision;

and it is also a choice of corporations and wealthy individuals to back his empire dreams, or not.

BTW, pot is still illegal in America, and there are still cases brought to courts based upon small amounts of pot, or even just pot smoking equipment, so your claim that it is a personal choice is wrong. In your opinion it should be a personal choice, but so far the majority has not been formed around this opinion.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 03:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Its a personal decision;

Quote:
and it is also a choice of corporations and wealthy individuals to back his empire dreams, or not.

AGREED.

Quote:
BTW, pot is still illegal in America, and there are still cases brought to courts based upon small amounts of pot, or even just pot smoking equipment, so your claim that it is a personal choice is wrong. In your opinion it should be a personal choice, but so far the majority has not been formed around this opinion.

Government has only the authority
of a schoolyard bully to control what the citizens ingest.
0 Replies