Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

Show: Barefoot Contessa

Episode: Thanksgiving

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.

I like 'em a bit less salty than the Contessa, but I do like them with a horseradish dip.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@ehBeth,
this version is also quite quite nice

annis

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:20 am
@ehBeth,
They sound so yummy thanks. Am going to have to buy my sprouts the caterpillars have stripped it clean! Argh! X
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:59 am
@ehBeth,
Next year, only one row.
Ehbeth. I like the roasted recipes. Especially the balsamic, parmesan, pine nut one. Anything to make them taste better.
Maybe a fondue to hide the bitter taste of brussels. Cheese.....Chocol....nah. Hm.
Hello annis.
annis

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 02:43 pm
@alex240101,
Hi Alex

How are you? I have been better! My son been ill now on anti sick pills from the doctor and on extra vitamins! Oh well that's life eh!
X
0 Replies

annis

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@ehBeth,
EhBeth X
annis

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
@annis,
mmmm just thinking, just thinking, ok don't think that hurts, as said before pay no attention here, just need to write or think or not.

You know I sat by Michael's grave and tree on Sunday and I just felt pitiful, pathetic. Yep I have the children but not him! We are not a whole family, what happened! How did I end up here! God I could go mad some days just reliving things and trying to pull myself together. Hate what I have become and try to change but boy it's hard. Trying to hold it all together, especially when my son get's ill and I feel so tired.

My daughter came home today and said she had a ghost following her, she keeps feeling a jab between her shoulder blades and said other things have happened. I said it might be a guardian angel looking after you or if it's Dad then he is just telling you he is looking after you. All things just feel like a hard slog. Just need to do some more burning me thinks!

Sorry to sound off, pay no heed to me, just need to write feelings that is all.
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:55 pm
@annis,
xox
annis

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 01:40 pm
@Izzie,
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-QqpTxlewfc
blast from the past!
annis

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@annis,
Ok, ok, ok what weird web life weaves! Been to counseling, Mmmm how do I feel not sure but have had 3 whiskey's! There I and my son sat among many different people with children. I sat and thought "What am I doing here? I shouldn't be here!" But was ok, we all went off to our different rooms, F with the secondary kids, me with 4 other parents.

We sat and talked, I didn't cry, held it together, felt like it wasn't me sitting in this chair talking to strangers. There were 3 people (including me) who had lost a partner in rather similar circumstances to me, a Mother who had lost a daughter and a grand mother who had lost a granddaughter. Each person spoke of how they dealt with things............ok am lost in thought now! MMmm not sure I can write anymore..............think I need another drink!

My son seemed fine with his group they played a game and made name badges, they had to colour round their name, if they had lost a Father colour in blue, Mother in pink or sibling in Orange. He liked doing this and is happy to go again. Good for him, he needs to meet others!

Ok can not write anymore need to stop, I just needed to write a bit about this evening X
Izzie

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@annis,
glad you went Tulip...

thinking bout you x
annis

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:30 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie am ok, you keep safeX
annis

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:22 pm
@annis,
yet another session of counseling! Ok, shed a tear or three! Just difficult to comprehend that I am really here and now! My son was so shattered after his, he went bed early. He made a memory jar with colored sand and one of his was white which he said stood for blankness and confusion. When I asked him a little more he said that he get confused and then blanks it out. Another colour was red for anger, yep understand this. It is just not fair how life has dealt it's hand to us! They deserve better! When I got home S girl had a blanket over her to keep warn so she didn't have to put the heating on and waste money! I said if you are cold but the heating on, we'll manage, but she is so sensible and said it's ok the blanket helped!

So have drunk some whisky and lemonade and then some! so need to vent and then to bed X
Izzie

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 03:35 pm
@annis,
hey Tulip....

no girl, it 'aint fair, is it? It's really good F-boy is starting to talk - he has to do it his way, maybe these other kids will help him find a way. I should have had S-girl down with me.... next time yeah - she can be with S-boy then. She's being so sensible a?

I'm thinking bout you. Is Mom arriving tomorrow? Will maybe drop in tomorrow evening late-ish - I shall be passing around 9ish... come and see you k?
annis

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 02:35 pm
@Izzie,
As you say life isn't fair! let me put in plain speak it is cr*p! See you soon! X
annis

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 03:11 pm
@annis,
Oh bloody, bloody hell..................
Izzie

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 04:56 pm
@annis,
yep.... and another bloody hell to go with yours Tulip.

Glad I saw you today.... kinda weird huh... how we got together - I'm so proud of you girl - I miss him too.

been the longest year of your life and no how much you are hurting.

steps forward... moving house soon

Noddy would be so proud of you too.
x
annis

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:02 am
@Izzie,
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BJCTrolF3CY
For Michael, he saw Deep purple when he was younger.

Love you Michael and miss you always and forever X
annis

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 02:16 pm
@annis,
just speaking to Michael only Michael

miss you, dreamt of you last night and boy did I cry when I woke up. Life is just not the same, I miss the joy and laughter you gave me, I do not have it anymore my dearest Michael. Yours always and forever
Izzie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:47 pm
@annis,
xox