what is imagination?

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:54 pm
when you imagine something, like a simple tree, you appear to "perceive" it. however it is not perceived in the same way as you perceive an actually existing tree, rather it is what you call a "mental image". how does this occur, can you say the imagination exists? if it does exist in the conventional sense of "existence" then we cannot be purely physical things I don't think, but I find it hard to believe in a non-physical "soul" or "mind". so specifically, what is the imagination?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,791 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:35 pm
@existential potential,
Perception is an autonomic response to sensory input. Imagination is an extrapolation of that perception as a response to cognition.

As such, almost everything you think and feel is imagination, it's only the degree to which it is divergent from raw perception which matters.

0 Replies

fragments41

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 11:03 pm
@existential potential,
Thats some thing 2 look forward 2 u never know.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:47 am
you will find it north & south by east & west of the intellect
0 Replies

permoda12345

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 04:52 am
@existential potential,
imagination is the shadow of light . few people can perceive it . imagination leads to revelation , that one can have a unique view in the darkness . and people who have this ability of view are intelligent . this kind of imagination is called " view in emptiness " .
concentrate on Albert Einestiens "view "
0 Replies