• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,061 • Replies: 19
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:43 pm
@rhachis,
I've never played World of Warcraft; but I somewhat see the appeal for some people.

Imagine you're a pimply faced kid in HS or college. You're sort of a "loser" in that you're not the QB or a Varsity basketball player. Not everyone can be Mr. Popular in HS/College (or life for that matter; however this matters less post schooling years).

An online community, where people are not judged by their physical attributes or status in life, gives people a chance to be the popular guy.
Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:56 pm
@rhachis,
I've never played, but I don't think its something just for nerds, although it is a funny stereotype.

As far as RPG's is concerned, it is pretty ridiculous. The amount of things you can do and control in the game is amazing. Id say for a hardcore gamer its probably the cheapest way to get the most enjoyable hours of gameplay.

I enjoy games, but hate "wasting" a ton of time on them, which is why I've never tried playing it.
0 Replies

rhachis

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:57 pm
@maporsche,
This is true. However, my daughter is an addict. She plays it until the keys fall off her keyboard. She stays up all night and plays. She has one of those nifty headsets where she can talk to other players. The weird thing is she is cute and otherwise talented and could be doing real life activities with real life people.
maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:14 pm
@rhachis,
eh...maybe she's just lazy? Laughing

No offense to her, seriously. Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm only 28 and I don't understand it either.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:29 pm
@maporsche,
computer games will be in the olympics within 16 years.
poker should be an olympic sport too might i add.

the only thing is that games on pcs arent i dont know the word, equal, theres a lot of turbulence, games phase out, theres new file updates, they arent .
uniform?
homogeneous?
lol.

Or they will start a whole new olympics, the e-lympics
seriously

by the way, hot girls play pc games too, and they dig nerdy guys.

in fact ive never seen an ugly girl n counterstrike or wow...

prolly because they dont make a point to show off lol...

AHAHA im not a nerd, i love pc games. im just a dork Razz
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:31 pm
@rhachis,
3 words, well 2 words and a number 100,00 DOLLAR TOURNAMENTS.

like it or not, pc games will soon be televised.

they already are in korea..

america is just behin.
devriesj

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:40 pm
@OGIONIK,
I don't know if this makes me a bigger Nerd or a different kind of one, but I've become addicted to Pirates of the Carribean!! And I don't know why!
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:39 pm
Someone posted this on Digg, scroll to the right and look at the ad for the google search "world of warcraft".

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2770/22949613418c22195077orw1.gif
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:25 pm
I can't help myself, here's another:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1232/1210300064121rv8ej8.jpg
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:32 pm
@rhachis,
Do you think she'd get into graphic design? That book I gave her when I was visiting isn't a great one, but I still hope she checks it out, it may be a useful outlet for her.
rhachis

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks Robert. That Google ad is hilarious. I'll give you 3 guess what she is doing right now...
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:40 pm
@rhachis,
I remember times when I'd spend days playing games. It wasn't ever these RPG types, but I could spend 48 hours straight playing simulation games in the past.

If she can turn that geekiness into a career she's all set.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
i read my horoscope a few weeks agao and it said u will revisit a skill u were amazing at or someshit.

i just activated my wow account again.just in time for my pc to break down, a sign from god , a test to determine how dedicated i am.

i accepted the challenge.

i currenttly have 2 months to get from level 40 to level 70.
transfer servers, buy the new expansion, and then resume the grind to level 80. did i mention i have no computer to play it on.

god, its on . level 70 here i come.

just a smidgin from impossible.
reminds me of in the movie independence day, when they leave the mothership and barely escape thru the closing doors.

and i got 3 druid friends at level 70 so we are going to dominate.

YAY!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 09:04 pm
WORLD OF WARCRAFT VS. MY GIRLFRIEND
Quote:
I'm sorry I was so late picking you up from the library. I didn't know they locked the doors at 8, and I'm sorry you had to stand outside alone for two hours. If it makes you feel better, despite its reputation to the contrary, that portion of the city does not have a violent-crime rate significantly above the national average.

You have to consider the position I was in. I was healing for a party with five players in it, all of whom were counting on me to help them defeat Mekgineer Thermaplugg and liberate the Gnomish city of Gnomeregan. Those are the needs of five people, in contrast to just yours, alone. (Note that I'm not even counting the needs of the Gnomish people here, Ashley.) As Spock once famously said, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." You were that one.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:11 pm
@rhachis,
World Of Warcraft 'more addictive than crack cocaine' as teenager suffers convulsions after 24-hour-long game

Quote:
An internet computer game has been condemned as being as addictive as cocaine after a teenager who played it 24 hours non-stop had convulsions.

World of Warcraft has been hugely successful in capturing the imagination of players by drawing them into a virtual universe of battles and quests.

However, it is at the centre of a growing problem of computer game addiction.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:25 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I've never played World of Warcraft; but I somewhat see the appeal for some people.

Imagine you're a pimply faced kid in HS or college. You're sort of a "loser" in that you're not the QB or a Varsity basketball player. Not everyone can be Mr. Popular in HS/College (or life for that matter; however this matters less post schooling years).

An online community, where people are not judged by their physical attributes or status in life, gives people a chance to be the popular guy.

I don't think you quite have a sense of the game. Think of it as a regular video game except you need to team up with other players to defeat some of the monsters.

And you can also go kill enemy players if you like.

And there is a deep storyline to the game -- it is not just a matter of killing a cool looking monster just because the game designers crafted a cool looking monster. There is a background story to what you are doing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:35 am
@devriesj,
devriesj wrote:
I don't know if this makes me a bigger Nerd or a different kind of one, but I've become addicted to Pirates of the Carribean!! And I don't know why!

I'd never paid much attention to Pirates of the Burning Sea because I'm not too big on pirates.

But recently I've come to understand that there is a lot more to it than pirates, and you can become a post-captain in the Royal Navy and captain a ship of the line.

I am stuck on dialup at the moment, but as soon as broadband becomes available where I'm at, I'm definitely giving it a try.

I'm in love with WOW though, so POTBS will have to come second to that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
WORLD OF WARCRAFT VS. MY GIRLFRIEND
Quote:
I'm sorry I was so late picking you up from the library. I didn't know they locked the doors at 8, and I'm sorry you had to stand outside alone for two hours. If it makes you feel better, despite its reputation to the contrary, that portion of the city does not have a violent-crime rate significantly above the national average.

You have to consider the position I was in. I was healing for a party with five players in it, all of whom were counting on me to help them defeat Mekgineer Thermaplugg and liberate the Gnomish city of Gnomeregan. Those are the needs of five people, in contrast to just yours, alone. (Note that I'm not even counting the needs of the Gnomish people here, Ashley.) As Spock once famously said, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." You were that one.

Why was the girl at the library and not on WOW helping him do Gnomer?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:11 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I remember times when I'd spend days playing games. It wasn't ever these RPG types, but I could spend 48 hours straight playing simulation games in the past.

There are WOW servers where players do roleplaying. But on most servers, players are more concerned with fighting the monsters like in traditional video games.

The storyline behind the game is always there when you do quests and stuff, but you don't see a lot of people roleplaying their characters on the mainstream servers.
0 Replies