Ron Paul geeks rally in World of Warcraft

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:12 pm
They're crazy! Ron Paul supporters are crazy! If in an adorably geeky way.. Laughing

Quote:
Ron Paul's World of Warcraft rally

On New Year's day supporters of Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul gathered on the Whisperwind (US) realm in World of Warcraft to march across Azeroth and show their support for their candidate of choice. The rally started outside Ironforge with approximately 240 players (with 400 members in their RP Revolution guild) and traveled to Stormwind, Westfall, Booty Bay, Ratchet, and finally Orgrimmar. And if you didn't make it, you can still experience the rally vicariously via our image gallery .. or video [..]!

To the best of our knowledge, this was the first political rally to be held in World of Warcraft -- and looking at their numbers it seems to have been a successful and upbeat gathering (or at least it was upbeat for the participants). Will this event help Ron Paul's chances in the election? It's hard to say until the votes are cast, but the uniqueness of the event is causing it to get a lot of media coverage. [..]

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.wowinsider.com/media/2008/01/ronpaul05.jpg

The real question here is whether voters notice or care what happens in a video game. OC Register spoke with political analyst Sherry Bebitch Jeffe, who commented that "the rally will likely only bring the name 'Ron Paul' to the minds of young people, who... are not likely to vote in elections." And even if the event brings Paul's name to the attention of the mass media, will voters take a game-based rally seriously?

But if these become more common (and as games become larger and larger -- with over nine million people in World of Warcraft, it's become a legitimate social space), voters and politicians will have to take notice. GamePolitics comments that, "While some may have found the Ron Paul event silly, inconsequential or simply annoying, my take is that it was a most unique way to harness the social and political potential of the game space." [..] So will we be seeing more of these in the future? One of the event organizers, lemur, says:

The RP Revolution guild is on Whisperwind to stay! We made so many wonderful friends, and had a blast being together in a guild where we could intelligently discuss the world's problems with likeminded folks. Most of our members came from other servers, and many (including myself) are now considering moving our mains there. It's highly likely that many of those who joined with the free trial will be staying with the game as well.
While we may be on the verge of a new political landscape that takes gamers seriously as a demographic, players on the Whisperwind realm aren't thrilled about all the attention. The influx of new players caused a queue to log on to the realm as well as extensive lag in the areas they rally ran through. Some players have gone so far as to demand the banning of all accounts participating in the rally -- because it disrupted their gameplay experience and brought real world politics into a fantasy world that many use to get away from real life concerns. However, the official terms of use don't seem to support this as a bannable offense [..]. And in the end, the rally seems to have been okayed by at least one GM (again, per event organizer lemur).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,123 • Replies: 32
No top replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:48 pm
RON PAUL FTW...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:07 pm
Is Ron Paul a geek?

It looks as though they were still killing each other in the bit of video I watched!!!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:25 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That is great. I loved it.

Still, presumably the guild will die after your elections.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 03:58 pm
dlowan wrote:
Is Ron Paul a geek?

nope, something more fearsome, an economist
It looks as though they were still killing each other in the bit of video I watched!!!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 04:06 pm
I guess that means that World of War is holding its New Hampshire primary voting today.

Do you think the slogan is "Vote or die"?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:57 am
I read some surprising things about Ron Paul today.

Ron Paul's Old Newsletters Filled With Bigotry And Conspiracy Theories

Makes you think.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:42 am
revel wrote:
I read some surprising things about Ron Paul today.

Ron Paul's Old Newsletters Filled With Bigotry And Conspiracy Theories

Makes you think.

These things are true.
This is Ron's newsletter however,
Ron did in fact state that he was not aware that these things were printed........Someone has already pointed out that this was his newsletter so this is hard to believe.
However, take a look at this, where not only did he deny that he had anything to do with those statements but he also took "moral responsibility" for that newsletter which bares his name.
Source.

As an American of African heritage, I hold him responsible whether he said these things or someone said them on his behalf but as the article says this was very much out of character for Mr. Paul.
I honestly do not believe that he said these things.
Ron Paul.......FTW
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 09:49 pm
RON PAUL 2008

EVERYONE NEEDS TO HEAR WHAT THIS GUY HAS TO SAY

HE CONVERTED ME!!

SERIOUSLY LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 02:23 am
stevewonder wrote:
RON PAUL 2008

EVERYONE NEEDS TO HEAR WHAT THIS GUY HAS TO SAY

HE CONVERTED ME!!

SERIOUSLY LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS

Indeed.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 02:49 am
This is a weird ass election.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Damn right! Razz
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:39 am
It is not that weird. Ron Paul is the latest in a line of fringe candidates.

He will be an amusing sideshow for a little while, then he will fade away.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:59 am
ebrown_p wrote:

And I will still wear my Ron paul 08' shirt.
If he's a sideshow then so is the constitution.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:40 pm
jasonrest wrote:
If he [Ron Paul] is a sideshow then so is the constitution.

...interesting logical sequence.

it's curious that RP is the first candidate to get such rally, especially since he's a rather older generation himself. but...why not.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 03:31 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

A 6 Million dollar sideshow with a 10% showing?

I think it is formidable discontent rather then a sideshow and it will find an avenue.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 04:24 pm
Adorable?

Ron Paul Newsletter
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 04:38 pm
Amigo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

A 6 Million dollar sideshow with a 10% showing?

I think it is formidable discontent rather then a sideshow and it will find an avenue.

He didn't hit 10% even in New Hampshire (which is over 95% white and has as big a libertarian population as any other state).

He is polling about 5% in Texas and South Carolina.

I don't think he gets anywhere near 10% nationwide.

But don't get me wrong.. I am still rooting for the guy.

Do you think we can get him to run third party in the general election?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 04:47 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yeah, Revel just posted that.

ebrown_p wrote:
He didn't hit 10% even in New Hampshire (which is over 95% white and has as big a libertarian population as any other state).

He did get 10% in Iowa tho.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 04:55 pm
Only 34% of caucus-goers voted on the republican side. Of these voters, 10% voted for Paul (implying the percentage in participants is far less than 10%).

((In spite of what High Seas may think this doesn't mean he got 44% support....))
0 Replies