Want my guess at what will be "popular"?

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:09 pm
@dlowan,
Hey! The Bunny is back!

0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:22 pm
@dlowan,
dlown wrote:
.....we'd wanna peep into Pandora's Box.

The last time I did that I got slapped. :p
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:51 pm
@fishin,
Quote:
The last time I did that I got slapped. :p

That's because you have to have INFORMED CONSENT first.

Twisted Evil

What do they teach them in these law schools, she mutters darkly.

cyphercat

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:25 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
That's because you have to have INFORMED CONSENT first.

Jeez! If fishin' stops to get Pandora's consent every time he wants a peek at the box, it takes all the passion out of it, dammit! Blankity-blank feminist rabbit....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
The approval/disapproval thingies don't appeal to me much, but they are easy to ignore and, if someone likes them then, no real harm is done.

I have been considering organizing a mass disapproval of Calamity Jane until she restores her old avatar. It is very clear she's just trying to annoy us with this new and ugly facade.

Interesting estimates of the likely behavior on the site, Craven.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:24 pm
@georgeob1,
Curious George on a crusade said:
Quote:
I have been considering organizing a mass disapproval of Calamity Jane until she restores her old avatar. It is very clear she's just trying to annoy us with this new and ugly facade.

You're not giving up, do you? Okay, I will look for a different picture, just
to appease you, George. Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:39 pm
Craven has been pretty damn accurate on almost everything he's predicted; I'm in total agreement with his prognostications.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:40 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob, Give me a call. RE: The McTags are coming to San Francisco next month.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:23 am
@CalamityJane,
Well done... George!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:26 am
@georgeob1,
Yeah yeah, the topic I started was about georgeob1, and sorry once again.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
One other thing about popularity; it will probably also come and go with seasons and holidays. Xmas topics will get wildly popular in November or so and then be voted down in January or so, I figure.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
Calamity Jane wrote:
You're not giving up, do you? Okay, I will look for a different picture, just
to appease you, George.

I'm appeased, even delighted. Moreover it's you ! Now I get to recall the real sweet looking, but in your face, Calamity when I scan the threads - instread of that grating jolt of ugliness.

Cicerone - I'll look for your number on the old thread and call.

Craven - sorry to detour your thread. What is one to do? No PMs. Wink . Interesting to note how activity here is picking up as folks get accustomed to the new structure. It works.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:33 am
@georgeob1,
Good! I'm carrying my cell phone on me today and tomorrow. Also, I'm not sure whether I can post my "other" cell phone number on a2k, and if that's allowed. My home phone is best, because we have a recorder if nobody's home.

Sorry, but I've misplaced your phone number.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
McTag has it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:23 pm
@Craven de Kere,
6.) Wave effect. (I.e., non-lasting popularity.)

6a.) People get annoyed that something has been voted down, say so, and get a bunch of people who agree with them (resulting in a big swing); and vice versa (people think it's stupid that something has so many votes, and start down-voting it).

6b.) Popular threads that started strong and then devolve into retreads or sniping or just go on too long and people get tired of seeing it continue to pop up in "New Posts."

Related, but its own thing:

7.) Contrarianism. I think people will vote down threads that seem to be trying to be popular, and will vote up threads that are more fatalistic (i.e. that the original poster assumes it WON'T be popular). (I think contrarianism will come into play in other ways too, that's just one example. People hate feeling manipulated, or told what to do or think.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:26 pm
@sozobe,
And then there's randomness; I vote up every single thread that I see with a down vote on it.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's contrarianism. Smile
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:29 pm
@sozobe,
Fair enough. I just think it's wrong to vote something down just b/c it doesn't interest you. I don't think it serves the community well in the long run, for sometimes votes are reflective of value judgment of the content and sometimes they are indicative of disinterest, and those aren't the same thing at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies