User Hot Tips, Shortcuts and Remedies for Navigating the Remodeled A2K

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:09 am
@Thomas,
Forget what I said before in this thread. Craven is right. Any tag will make A2K subscribe you to a thread. "Subscribed", your username, and other non-descriptive keywords are unnecessary. I'm deleting my username from "my tags" now.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:36 am
@Butrflynet,
Hello Butrflynet. About ten percent of the time, I have to log in, again, to reply to a thread. Do you have a remedy, or, is this just a kink that needs to be worked out?
sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:02 am
@alex240101,
I think I saw Craven reply to someone who had that problem to check whether they'd selected "remember me" on the log-in page. That seemed to help.
Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:36 am
@sozobe,
I'm not the one Craven replied to, but I did have the same problem, and clicking "remember me" fixed it. Thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:30 am
@joefromchicago,
Actually, tagging it the same thing does add to the folksonomy, and suggesting previous tags is actually an idea we plan to implement (when there is more tag history).

Like this: at least one person on this site is already deliberately tagging things with nonsensical tags. One of these topics about a2k was tagged "politics" and another "poker" and so on.

That's where the correct use of others is expected to outweigh it. So for example, if the vandal tags incorrectly but then 3 people tag it well, the vandals tags may be pushed off of the public view (the "topic tags" are the top 5 tags for the topic for e.g.) or outweighed by the better tags.

So if someone goes and tags one of your topics "totally ******* awesome" it would show up prominently till enough people tagged it differently. So even if someone already tagged something, tagging it again helps keep it tagged that.

You are right in that unimaginative people (or simply people who just wanna bookmark something quick and haven't put thought into meta data for the topic) might not come up with great tags, and to make it easy for them to use tags as bookmarks we'll soon make easy ways to add "suggested" tags that are based off of the existing folksonomy (easy) or off of semantic analysis of the text (hard, but something I want to do because I like this area of algorithm).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:37 am
@alex240101,
A bit of both. The new site is working the way it should, but the old site wasn't. It was supposed to clear sessions after x minutes but instead it just cleared them when the table was full of sessions and it needed to. So it'd just delete the old sessions when the table reached it's maxrows limit and ignored the inactive session till then.

Here it actually works, and if we set the active session to 5 minutes it means if you don't load a page for 5 minutes you are logged out. If you check the "remember me" box, what happens is that you are automatically logged back in on the refresh because you have a cookie on your computer with the authentication info that is sent back to the site. But if you do not check the box, the site needs to ask you again for your password.

Anywho, I don't like checking the box (mainly because I log in and out to check things for guests vs members etc) and it irritates me. We have some ideas on how to make this a bit more graceful (because the protocols are "stateless" we have to guess if you are "online" but I have some ideas for better guesses) but in the mean time we've just changed the session expiry to 15 minutes, meaning the guess is less accurate but more forgiving.
alex240101

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:58 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Thank you sozobe, Thomas, and Craven de kere.
0 Replies