Where does sin come from?

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 11:18 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

Why search the word for something already found in you heart?
From what you have said so far, it appears that you habitually ignore the parts of the Bible that don't fit in with your heart's philosophy.

You have every right to do that of course.

But there may be consequences.

(Jeremiah 17:9) . . .The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 11:46 pm
@neologist,
...and who can know god Neo?

So why does god/jesus rely on the heart to write his sacred word if the heart is so treacherous?
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:31 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

...and who can know god Neo?

So why does god/jesus rely on the heart to write his sacred word if the heart is so treacherous?
Where did you get that idea?
RexRed

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:58 am
@neologist,
(Jeremiah 17:9) . . .The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?

Jeremiah says the heart is treacherous and Paul writes...

2 Corinthians 3:3 KJV Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

So how treacherous is the human heart with the word written upon it? It seems Paul is saying the word in the heart is superior to the written word. Just one more contradiction to boggle the mind.

So the spirit teaches the heart as opposed to the written word teaching the heart. Doesn't that leave "the word of God" a bit ambiguous when it is discerned by the heart that Jeremiah says is "treacherous"? Isn't Paul contradicting Jeremiah?
neologist

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:03 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

(Jeremiah 17:9) . . .The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?

Jeremiah says the heart is treacherous and Paul writes...

2 Corinthians 3:3 KJV Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

So how treacherous is the human heart with the word written upon it? It seems Paul is saying the word in the heart is superior to the written word. Just one more contradiction to boggle the mind.

So the spirit teaches the heart as opposed to the written word teaching the heart. Doesn't that leave "the word of God" a bit ambiguous when it is discerned by the heart that Jeremiah says is "treacherous"? Isn't Paul contradicting Jeremiah?
No.
He simply states that the New Covenant is more forgiving than the Hebrew Covenant. It is up to us to write God's laws into our hearts.

Even a cursory review of history shows the dangers of kings and priests relying on their "hearts".
RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 07:48 am
@neologist,
Yea, look what happened to Jesus for relying on his heart... Smile
neologist

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 11:01 am
@RexRed,
Jesus could have wiped out the entire country with a wave of his hand.

Instead he chose to be executed as a blasphemer and traitor.

Good thing for us, BTW
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 11:41 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Good thing for us, BTW

Yes. Because he did that we have great architecture, magnificent art, music, and literature, huge and small healing hospitals, great universities and exceptional other institutions of learning, thrift shops, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food pantries, orphanages, halfway houses, addiction programs, legal services, advocacy services, counseling services, and countless tens of thousands of people ministering to lepers, AIDS sufferers, and others of the world's poorest people in some of the world's most miserable places. And many of those doing such ministry are those some accuse of being those fundamenalist, narrow-minded, judgmental types that some so love to despise.

While there is no group in all of human history that cannot be charged with "sin" in light of modern 21st century morality, and Christianity is certainly no exception to that, there is also no other group in all of human history that can claim the track record of a lasting legacy of doing good or as having as much positive influence as Christianity can claim.

And personally, I think that is because of the Christian heart that all started with Jesus.
RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
Very well written post FF... I think I will let that stand with only pointing out and not listing the millions of abuses perpetuated and justified by that very same name. These abuses carried out because people followed the letter of the law instead of their hearts.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:32 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

Very well written post FF... I think I will let that stand with only pointing out and not listing the millions of abuses perpetuated and justified by that very same name. These abuses carried out because people followed the letter of the law instead of their hearts.

Thank you Rex and I do understand your point of view.

You are welcome to list all the legacy and good from any and all other groups. Certainly the abuses committed in the name of Christianity are legion and are condemned by virtually all Christians now. But so have been the abuses committed by all other groups, at least proportionately if not more so. Some seem to be even more extreme now. To be fair in a criticism of Christianity you would need to list all the abuses committed in the name of the other religions or religious groups too. I think should you choose to do so, Chrisitanity might not look so bad, and certainly wouldn't look much or any worse in comparison in most cases.

And you will have a tough time demonstrating that any other group has accomplished so much good for so many without regard for politics, creed, race, or nationality.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 06:52 pm
@RexRed,
The heart's desire for license leads to many pitfalls.
RexRed

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:51 am
@neologist,
One man's pitfall is another man's pleasure... Don't knock it until you have tried it. Smile
neologist

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:41 pm
@RexRed,
I've tried nearly every pleasure.

Nothing beats knowing the truth

RexRed

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:21 am
@neologist,
God's pleasure is man's pitfall.
neologist

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:55 pm
@RexRed,
If you are referring to the god of this world, you would be correct.
RexRed

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:45 pm
@neologist,
As opposed to the God of the other world?
neologist

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:00 pm
@RexRed,
You realy don't know your Bible, do you?

(John 14:30) " I shall not speak much with YOU anymore, for the ruler of the world is coming. And he has no hold on me . . ."
RexRed

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:54 pm
@neologist,
Blessed is he who believes without seeing. Who believes without checking his facts.Who imposes this blind belief without conscience on others. Unto him will I give a wooden nickel and a swift kick in the behind.
neologist

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:21 pm
@RexRed,
I didn't know you were double jointed, Rex.
RexRed

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:32 pm
@neologist,
Double jointed, double talk and the proverbial forked tongue... Smile
0 Replies