Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:32 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
Where does sin come from?

Your imagination.

aidan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:34 am
@rosborne979,
Yeah, I agree, in a way that one's perception of 'sinning' does come, at least partially, from within that person's imagination or whatever it is that monitors or sets his or her individual code of behavior.

I used to say, whenever I heard something that was sad, or too bad - 'Aw, that's a sin...' as in, ' that really sucks', or 'that's a shame'.

So I'd translate that to mean, for me, a sin is something that causes me to feel some sort of dissonance within myself with what I know to be the right thing to do. And I don't think it's always a collectively arrived at moral imperative.
I can think of a lot of actions that our society advocates legally through the law of the land that , if/when I were to participate, I'd feel ashamed or as if I were a 'sinner' for having done- even though I'm told it's what I should be doing.

So to answer your original question, Rex, my opinion is that the knowledge of what each individual considers to be a sin for him or herself, comes from inside.
Although, ideas of what may or may not constitute a sin come from the outside all the time.
And I ALWAYS trust my inner world moreso than the outer world.

*Just an aside, I'm progressive - and I thought this was a great idea for a thread - in fact- one of the most interesting and thought provoking (for me) I've seen on the new a2k. I'm giving it my first ever thumbs up, if I can figure out how to give the actual thread the thumbs up. And I'm doing that even though I think it's a sin (a shame) that you want to lump all liberals and progressives together and attribute blanket negativities to us...(generalizing/passing judgment, etc.) Just a little joke.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:01 am
@rosborne979,
Ros,

It could be said that you are imagining that sin does not exist. To deny the existence of sin (or whatever “clinical” word you want to call it.) is to be without a conscience. If it were all imagination than people would not be jumping off bridges to alleviate its REAL burden upon their soul.

Yet some people beat up themselves over trivial matters as some also live unbridled by moral considerations and boundaries.

This is why I have for years put forward the TRUTH that the conventional ideas of liberal and conservative do not address the real heart of the issue of walking worthily of our vocation in life. The progressives and the few conservatives here on this site prove this point almost daily to me.

This becomes evident when my posts are vehemently attacked by BOTH sides of the fence. This I should actually view as a complimentary form of pride. If I did not strike a chord then my post would be simply ignored. I have succeeded to walk in a Christ like state of balance (law of liberty) for many years while most people around me have resorted to either extreme. I am not tethered to either extreme. I.E. It is all imagination or it is the immovable the will of a dictatorial God who has no mercy, grace or "bend". So as long as I remain betwixt the two extremes I will garner no friends (as Christ did) but I will be beloved and blessed in the spirit of wisdom and true virtue for championing a middle path to righteousness.

“Sin” is being blinded and controlled by EITHER extreme ideology over the simple marriage of logic and compassion.

So as people are voting my thread down realize what "sin" there be within your prejudice and hypocrisy.

You liberals here on A2K insult "green" rough hewn conservatives spouting out their Bible/Qur’an thumping laws and act as if these conservatives are so far out there. My advice is "step back" and look at yourselves. You are equally as "green" and oblivious that you are the antithesis of them, mirroring the EXACT same SIN but in reverse.

Both parties are equally as wrong, and you know what they say about two wrongs… they can never make a right. They will always be wrong no mater how one rationalizes or belittles the error.

"Doing my best to piss off the extremes." So please keep voting my threads down so my martyrdom will never be considered, “mediocre“.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:17 am
In a nutshell, "sin" comes from being the extreme on either side. The greatest among you shall be the least, and the "meek" shall indeed inherit the earth.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:55 am
In Richard Ellmann's brilliant biography of Oscar Wilde there is this passage regarding sin-

Quote:
Wilde is determined to find a justification for sin. Like criticism, like art, "What is termed Sin is an essential element of progress." Without it, the world would grow old and colorless. "By its curiosity [Arnold's word with Wilde's meaning] Sin increases the experience of the race. Through its intensified individualism it save us from monotony of type. In its rejection of the current notions about morality, it is one with the highest ethics." Sin is more useful to society than martyrdom, since it is self-expressive not self-repressive. The goal is the liberation of personality. When the day of true culture comes, sin will be impossible because the soul will transform "into elements of richer experience, or a finer susceptibility, or a newer mode of thought, acts or passions that with the common would be commonplace, or with the uneducated ignoble, or with the shameful vile. Is this dangerous? Yes; it is dangerous--all ideas, as I told you, are so."

Speech marks denote Wildean quotes.
RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:00 am
@spendius,
Quote:
When the day of true culture comes, sin will be impossible because the soul will transform

Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity [sin], even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Collosians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances [laws/sin] that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Comment: Oscar might have needed only the study the Bible to realize that what he theoretically and idealistically spoke of had already come to pass.

Ephesians 4:8
Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity [a form of sin] captive, and gave gifts unto men.

John 8:36
If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Comment: I did not post this thread to shackle people to sin but to liberate them of sin's grip on their consciousness. Only in the spiritual freedom from sin is the power of the one true God and the gulf of love (agape) possible...

spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 03:10 pm
@RexRed,
I think Wilde would have agreed with that.

He would have reminded you of the danger too as he did in my quote.

Suppose he had said "Come with me dear boy". Which he might well have done.
RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
Romans 6:18
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Comment: And people wonder why this book is such an inspiration.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 03:35 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I think Wilde would have agreed with that.

He would have reminded you of the danger too as he did in my quote.

Suppose he had said "Come with me dear boy". Which he might well have done.

Wilde may have gone too far as the Marquis de Sade and other men of highly questionable morals and ethics..

Galatians 5:13
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:23 pm
@RexRed,
Hey Rex-- you shouldn't mention the divine Marquis on A2k.

It makes the scientists run and bury their heads in Mom's Apron.
RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:51 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Hey Rex-- you shouldn't mention the divine Marquis on A2k.

It makes the scientists run and bury their heads in Mom's Apron.

Haha, I think... Shocked
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:56 pm
@RexRed,
I was shocked myself RR.

I thought that they were facers of the facts.
RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I was shocked myself RR.

I thought that they were facers of the facts.

Just typical liberals... Smile

I will reserve my judgment yet forgo "walking a mile in their shoes"...
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:17 pm
@RexRed,
A very thought-provoking post with three questions.
As an athiest I think sin is a religious word to subjucate the citizens.
According to all the religions the world is full of sins though many super gods are watching.
and helplessly..
let me take one noble religion christianity.
Two women died on the same week.
One is lady Diana and the other is Mother Theresa.
The sin-free citizens around the globe were watching lady D's demise while the other Christian got less attention.
Is is not sin to project one and ignore the other?
Celebacy is a Christian culture.
How many kids were born out of this sin?
I took christianity to expose the hypocracy .
I can also expose Buddist hindu, Bahai, and other non_sinner fan clubs.
Any takers.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:18 pm
@tenderfoot,
Quote:
If your god (whoever he-she is in your mind ) reads the crap you write, he-she... sure would say you were a religious nut. Where Do it say I love and premote evil? If anyone here premotes anything, it's you with your stupid godly quote's. I say your god premotes love as the same as the dripping blood from your gods red rose, the same as the love dished out to the poor sods in Auschwitz

Are you calling me anti-semetic? Does it make you feel good to call a homosexual anti-semetic? In the same breath as your empty accusations toward me you sentence youself to the same damnation.

I plan to write much more "crap" and silly quotes from my God before all is said and done. If you don't like it, don't read them.
0 Replies

martily

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 01:49 pm
Mention religion and everyone gets all bent out of shape. It's almost comical.
Sin comes from the heart. I wont quote scripture ,or anyone else for that matter, but I Believe completely what the Bible says and if I am wrong and there is no eternal life , so be it. If you are wrong and there is eternity with God or without him, you will remember every single chance you had to accept him and be assured, it wont be any fun!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:56 pm
Sin was created by closet malefactors to appease their own guilty repressed conscience by making someone else feel bad.
spendius

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 03:26 pm
@RexRed,
Don't be so naive Rex.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 03:46 pm
Going out on a limb here, and after giving considerble thought to the things identified as 'sin' in the Bible, and those things identified as 'sin' by theologians and by leaders of varous factions of the church, I have come to the following conclusion:

Sin may be intentional or it may be completely inadvertent and unintended. It might be acts of commission or omission. The consequences might be evident to the sinner or to others or both. The consequences might be immediate or spread over long periods. ("The sins of the fathers are visited upon the children even unto the fourth and fifth generations.") We may or may not recognize any given difficulty or problem or calamity or disaster or discomfort as the product of sin.

But however sin is committed or under what circumstances or despite whatever consequences, sin is defined as that which harms ourselves and/or others.
RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 04:02 pm
@Foxfyre,
a sin conscious person would say because i am gay i am harming myself... but on the contrary I believe differently... I believe if i tried to be straight against my nature i would be harming myself and my industry irreparably. Perhaps i would no longer want to continue living... Who decides what is the greater harm?